Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 15:16

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question Goal Weights....

I'm sure this is well covered territory, but I'm curious.

1. How did you pick your goal weight?

2. If you have reached goal or are near it, have you rethought it? Up or down?

My goal weight is the weight that I look drop-dead gorgeous at (I'm 5'10"). Of course I'm 29 now, not in college, so once I get closer I will probably do some more realistic thinking about it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 16:12

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 145/120/125
BF:
Progress: 125%

HI there - I'm 29 as well, but not as tall - only 5'8". I picked my goal weight (125) because i remember how great i looked and felt when i weighed that much. This is my second real go at this - two years ago I was 170 and lost 45 pounds in 6 months ... and boy did i feel great. My original goal then was 135 but when i got there i thought - what the hey - 10 more will be easy!

I think that having a goal weight is a great motivator - however, when you feel like you look great and feel great - then you hit your peak weight. As for me - when I was 125 - my mother couldn't hlep but worry that i was "too" thin. But when i was in college I was 110 - and I agreed that that was TOO thin - but at 125 I was in a size 6 very comfortable (as you know - people as tall as I am cannot even think of getting into a 4) and that was really what made me happy.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 16:53

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

initially, a guestimate. Now, 22% bodyfat based on Lean Body Mass

I keep rethinking it up. When I was 28, at 118, I was certain I was still fat. ED treatment, much reading, and years of life experience later (and a bunch o' weightlifting later, too) I think much less about pounds and more about health and how I feel. The scale becomes less and less important (and I keep saying that one day, I'll throw that thing out!)
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 14:05

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

First off, congratulations Razzle on graduating from drumsticks to a big, juicy T-bone (500 posts).

My goal weight is based on the weight I reached when I was in high school and that I maintained for a couple of years and at which I felt very comfortable and happy. That was 180 pounds. Even at that weight, I did feel like I would like to lose about another ten pounds. I achieved that my senior year thanks to mononucleosis and, even though sick, did feel like that would be a good weight. But after I recovered (and went back to 185) I was unable to get back down below 180 for more than a few days - but I wasn't trying very hard.

I think I will be very happy to maintain anything below 200 pounds. Hell, I'll be jumping for joy (literally) when I get below 300 pounds!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 14:16

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Same as you!

Hey Cori, I am the same height and have the same goal weight as you. I have been that (and a lot less, Razzle we have something in common!) before and that was a weight that made me feel beautiful and sexy, and that is one of the best feelings in the world! I have always been confident in myself regardless of my weight, but 135 feels great!

From experience I know that much below that makes me feel not so great, so that's where I got mine.

Wishing everyone the best LC day they can have!

Cheers!
D
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 09:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default Interesting

Im 5'6" 37, I remember prekids [22] I was 124, on diet pills and starved myself. I looked at the charts and figured 140 would be an attainable goal and in the "healthy range" for my height. Since then I have lost some but 140 is like a comfort zone for me. That way I can see the scale go up a bit an not feel bad.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 09:18

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

From 23 to 33 I was 5'7" and 115 pounds.....I was also bulimic. There I finally said it. Not something I am proud of. I was bulimic because I allowed an over bearing and abusive husband convince me I was fat and I wasn't good enough.

At the graceful age of 42 almost ten years later, 60 pounds heavier and one less jerk in my life....I have figured out that 140 is probably just right for me.

In the eyes of my adorable husband now, I am a super model. He loves me for what is on the inside and has helped the healing process of me accepting myself.

My goal is to heal the damage I did in those 20 past years to my body. The 10 years I refused to nurish it and the following 10 years of abusing it with smoking and alcohol and over eating.

140 sounds pretty good to me at this point
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 09:24

Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default [[[[[ CAT ]]]]]

I know all about eating disorders and thats the reason now [plus my fibro] why I take so many vitamins. To build up such a depleted system. Im happy to hear U are in a good relationship now.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 09:27

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: Goal Weights....

Quote:
Originally posted by cori
1. How did you pick your goal weight?

2. If you have reached goal or are near it, have you rethought it? Up or down?

1. A totally random number. With a lot of lean body mass I know I'll never weigh the 120 - 140 lbs that's "ideal" for my height according to the charts. I have mesurement goals however - a few more inches off the bust, waist and hips and I'll be satisfied.

2. With 15 or so lbs to go I'm not going to revise it - I suspect these last few lbs will have a dramatic change on what I look like. I have been losing and gaining 'the same few lbs' the past month and yet I look quite different. The inches keep coming off regardless of what the scale is saying - I know these aren't the 'same fewl lbs'. Scale weight has become less and less important of late - fat mass and LBM are now my focus. Being a different body shape is my goal - unfortunately that doesnt fit into the percentage formula.

Nat
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 09:40

Plan: Curves/Heavin
Stats: 196/196/137
BF:34.6%/34.6%/25%
Progress: 0%

When I was in early high school (not that long ago for me), I weighed 132 - 138. I still wanted to lose a little, but for the most part I looked pretty good. However, at that point I was 5'7" - now I am 5'9". About 2 years ago I got down to 148 and could FIT into a GAP size 6. Which is a 8 or 10 at most places. I figure that based on my height changes 135-140 would be perfect for me. If I am happy at 145 though, I will stay there. If I get to 135 and could still stand to lose a little, I will. But I think anything below 130 is too small for me (I am pretty large-busted wven without extra weight). I am pretty confident that I will end up somewhere between 130 and 140. Truthfully, as long as I look good in a bikini, I don't care WHAT i weigh. At this point, anything under 160 sounds WONDERFUL!!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 19:49

Plan: none
Stats: 89/89/90
BF:
Progress:
Default How much do you weigh?

Not to be nasty here,
But does it really matter how much you weigh?
I have had numerous experiences with people obsessed with how much they 'weigh'
especially all you ladies out there(not to be mean)But does anyone really know how much you weigh unless you tell them.
Eg:If you are 20kg over weight it would be very easy to lose all that weight and still look flabby and soft.
So realistically wouldn't it make more sense to look in the mirror every few days and ask yourself 'How do I look? and am I happy with how I look?'
Because unfortunatly the mirror doesn't lie.
So,what would you be happier with? weighing 145lb and looking thin with no muscle deffinition or weighing 160lb and looking defined lean and healthly.
I know which one I would prefer.
My 2 cents worth(hope I didn't offend anyone)
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 19:55

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: How much do you weigh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Toby
So,what would you be happier with? weighing 145lb and looking thin with no muscle deffinition or weighing 160lb and looking defined lean and healthly.
I know which one I would prefer.
My 2 cents worth(hope I didn't offend anyone)

No offence taken here, Toby. In fact I second your statement - and have in fact made it myself. I'd rather be a lean and strong 170 lbs than end up 150 lbs with 30% BF.

Nat
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 20:27

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

Tony,

It's actually very nice to hear a man say he wants someone lean rather than tiny. Thanks for the (LC) food for thought.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 10:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/135/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Talking Didn't want to go crazy

Guess what - I'm 29 too - there must be a trend somewhere in here. I picked my weight just because I didn't want to get crazy. I was around 115 until about 6 years ago and then poof! my body just started growing. Bear in mind I'm only 5'3" so I'm not looking to be super thin just fit into all my clothes in my closet.

If I could get to 115 that would be my optimum weight, but only because that's what I was at for such a long time, but it'll just be gravy (no pun intended) at that point. LC gravy of course! LOL

Carrie

P.S. The dangers of olive oil - when it pops up when you're saute-ing and gets ya on the nose! OUCH!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 12:22

Stats: 198/181/165
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default picking goal weight

I originally picked 150 as my goal as that was where I was at 18 and was feeling great. But at 38, that may not be realistic. I would rather hit my goal of 165 and then reevaluate then to "fail " trying to get to a lower number. I agree with Toby about weight being a number only. Who knows what I weigh? I do want to be back in a size 12. that is more important than what the scale says. I want to get rid of my blobby hips ( good word eh) I have already gotten rid of the thigh rub- you know what that is- when you walk and your thighs continually rub together . I am down a size finally and am rediscovering my old clothes- it's like having a new wardrobe.