PDA

View Full Version : [BFL] Should I supplement with creatine?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ellipsis
Fri, Jun-21-02, 21:29
Any BFLers here with a take on this particular supplement? There's an overwhelming amount of info on creatine out there, so instead of reading the entire internet tonight, figured I'd try here first.

-- Nicky

Natrushka
Sat, Jun-22-02, 07:12
Nicky, there is indeed a lot of information out there on creatine. I've never used the product but I am sure that others here have. I hope that you will hear from them.

Be aware that when you do start to use it you will experience a slight increase in scale weight - creatine causes muscle cells to attract and hold onto water. You should increase your intake of water to compensate.

Supplementwatch.com has quite a bit of information (http://www.supplementwatch.com/supatoz/supplement.asp?supplementId=94) on this subject if you're interested.

Nat

tokenyanke
Sat, Jun-22-02, 07:37
I don't know if I'll be much help on the creatine subject, but I have taken it in the past... before LCing. You do feel "bulked up" on it... Your muscles feel tight and you start feeling like "the Hulk". I never took it long term, though, because of the weight gain issue... It does make you gain and hold water. I don't use it now because of the carb issue. There are 35 gms of carbs in one scoop of the brand my hubby uses. And the first ingredient is dextrose... So, personally, I shy away from it now since I stay under 50 gms of carbs a day and don't want to add dextrose into that picture, but that's just me personally.

My hubby swears by it for bulking up, but he's into the bigtime bodybuilding bulk. It's also best to cycle it from what I've heard because after a while your body adjusts to it and it isn't as effective unless you come off of it for a while and then start back on it.

That's my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps. I'm sure there are others who have more experience with it as well.

cbcb
Sun, Feb-22-04, 18:27
>creatine causes muscle cells to attract and hold onto water<

Anyone know the long-term benefits of this (if any), beyond aiding athletic performance generally? Also, anyone noticed exactly what happened to their body fat percentage when trying it? Thanks.