PDA

View Full Version : [BFL] Fat Amount with BFL & LC Combined?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JennyAnkai
Fri, May-31-02, 16:16
Hey all you BFL and LCers, I'm old to the LC game and new to the BFL game. I'm confused as to how much fat we can take in. The book obviously seems to stress higher carbs and very low fat. We as LCers, of course, are doing a lower carb modification of the plan (I'm keeping mine under 50 per day). But how much fat is it okay to take in? Nat and all you other experts, I'm confused: will I still get great results by having a higher fat content in my diet than the book suggests? Here is my typical diet:

Meal 1: protein shake (protein powder, 1/4 cup non-fat yogurt, cold water)

Meal 2: turkey slices & low carb tortilla

Meal 3: 1.5 oz. macadamias & 6 strawberries

Meal 4: protein shake (protein powder & soy milk)

Meal 5: 6 egg whites, big package of steamed broccoli & peach

Meal 6: protein shake (protein powder, 1/4 cup non-fat yogurt, cold water)

2 cups coffee daily w/whipping cream

It comes out to about 1500 cals. per day, I'm 5'5, 143 lbs., 33 years old. What do you guys think?

Thanks! Jenny

Natrushka
Fri, May-31-02, 18:32
Jenny, Hi and welcome :)

Obviously, we are all different - weights, heights, BF% - our daily percentages of macronutrients differ as well. Some of us take in more protein, others a few more carbs. Doing this type of exercise with LC nutrition involves finding that zone that is right for you. I find I lose fat better with carbs under 60g and protein at 1.5g per lb of body weight - the rest would be fat, so depending on my calories for that day it can be anywhere from 100g to 150g.

If we are working under the premise that our bodies are using our body fat as a primary source of fuel, and that increased carbs are needed only because of the extra exercise then why would the paramaters change? We are still burning body fat as a primary fuel. So long as the body is receiving adequate protein on a continual basis and muscles are being fed, everything should run smoothly- fat loss and muscle growth wise.

Have a look through a few gym logs in the Gym Log forum; you'll see resutls posted by members doing the BFL program with a modified nutrition plan. Marlaine, Ruth, Lisaf, DivaDani, Me. It is working.

I'm sure given enough practice and tweaking you'll find that zone that works best for you. Feel free to ask away in the mean time :)

Nat

Marlaine
Sat, Jun-01-02, 20:31
Originally posted by JennyAnkai
I'm confused as to how much fat we can take in.

I find that is my fat level gets too low, I get hungry. Are you using FitDay.com to track your food. It's an excellent resource that lets you see exactly how much of everything you are getting.

Marlaine