PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Pickles

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

nopie
Mon, Apr-22-02, 12:09
I have made these delicious pickles using sugar (in that other life)but they should work just fine with Splenda. Also, they are very easy and don't require any canning techniques. This should give your tuna and chicken salads the right flavor. Also, the juice could be used in deviled eggs.

Candied Dill Pickles

1 quart dill (or sour) pickles, sliced
1/2 cup tarragon vinegar (cider vinegar is fine)
2 and 3/4 cups Splenda
2 tablespoons mixed pickling spice (found in the spice section of grocery)tied in cheesecloth

Drain pickles. Slice. Combine pickles, vinegar, Splenda, and spices. Let stand at room temperature till sugar is dissolved - about 4 hours. Return half the pickles to the jar, add spice bag, add remaining pickles and syrup. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 days to develop flavor. Remove spiuce bag after 5 or 6 days.

JustAGirl
Mon, Feb-24-03, 22:24
is there any substitute for pickling spice?

doreen T
Tue, Feb-25-03, 12:38
1 (US) quart sliced dill pickles = 4 cups = 25.6g carb/7.4g fiber
2¾ cups Splenda = 66g carb
½ cup vinegar = 7g carb

for the whole recipe .. 25.6 + 66 + 7 - 7.4 = 91.2 g net

¼ cup of the slices would have 5.7 g net carbs (or ECC)

hth,

Doreen

Red
Wed, Feb-26-03, 10:09
Wouldn't they only have that many carbs if you drank all the pickling juice with the pickles?
Carolyn

doreen T
Wed, Feb-26-03, 14:04
Good point ... but a significant amount would be absorbed nonetheless. My thought would be to err on the side of caution for those at Induction level of carbs, but could be a little more relaxed at higher carb levels.

It's the filler (maltodextrin) that yields all the carbs in Splenda; sucralose is zero. It would be ideal if a liquid form could be made available in North America, because the filler in THAT is water. However, McNiel (Splenda manufacturer) has no plans to make the product available here. Apparently you can buy liquid Splenda in stores .. in BRAZIL :rolleyes:

For readers in countries where cyclamate is available, I imagine that product could be used successfully for this recipe, as cyclamate is stable in cooking and storage (doesn't lose its sweetness). Equal (aspartame) is not stable in storage and loses sweetness after a day or two, so wouldn't work in this recipe. In Canada, SugarTwin (yellow box) is made with cyclamate, and the powder form has half the carbs as Splenda, plus there's a liquid form available that's zero carbs.

Doreen

Stephen596
Mon, Sep-22-03, 06:42
Try the Mount Olive Brand of Sweet Pickles made with Splenda, the Bread & Butter style are awesome!

windy
Tue, Dec-16-03, 12:47
Mt. Olive now makes a sugar free pickle relish too. I have just found in it at our County Market. It is great too and I love the bread and butter pickles.

Linda

AnnieFelac
Thu, May-13-04, 14:10
Whoo Hoo. I need to find that Mt. Olive stuff. I LOVE sweet bread/butter pickles and missed them this Easter. I also love making sweet tarter sauce with sweet relish & mayo- add a little ketchup and you have big mac sauce. Yum!! Annie

argo2d
Tue, Jun-15-04, 11:02
make your own! -- mt olive's takes a big cut out of your wallet!

astrocreep
Mon, Jan-17-05, 23:57
I buy Clausen or Ba-Tempe Kosher Dill or Hearty Garlic pickles, they have 0g carbs (according to label). They're very yummy.

missymagoo
Mon, Mar-27-06, 08:34
i have been looking for this recipe!! sue

deb34
Fri, Apr-21-06, 13:46
how would this recipe work with Davinci's SF liquid simple syrup(no flavour)

what would be proportions be please?

missymagoo
Tue, May-23-06, 07:51
they turned out pretty good!! sue