PDA

View Full Version : one hour of eating anythin!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sheralyn
Tue, Feb-19-02, 16:49
has anyone tried the low carb diet where for one hour only you can eat anything or drink anything you want? has it worked for you? thanks, sheralyn

agonycat
Tue, Feb-19-02, 16:56
It's called CAD. Carbohydrate Addicts Diet.

And sure it says you can eat anything you want within that hour, but I wouldn't recommend eating a whole chocolate cake in one sitting :eek:

:) Check out the CAD forum for more information.

Natrushka
Tue, Feb-19-02, 17:16
Sheralyn, I moved your post to the CAD/CALP sub forum where it will be seen by more members following this plan. If you'd like more information check out the link on the right called "Which LC Plan is Right for Me?" - CAD is discussed and a sample menu provided.

Nat

offdawagon
Tue, Feb-19-02, 17:57
The amount of carbohydrates you eat should be equal proportionate to the amount of protiens and low carb veggies you're having during that same meal, Sheralyn! I had a friend who totally misunderstood the Reward Meal hour and gained 11 pounds in three weeks!! Wasn't pretty! LOL! These folks can really help you get a good start with whatever program you're interested in. Good luck and be well!

CRIS
Thu, Feb-21-02, 05:32
I WAS ON ATKINS FOR 5 WEEKS. I LOST ABOUT 7 POUNDS THEN DECIDED TO GO TO CAD. I MISUNDERSTOOD THE REWARD MEAL AND GAINED ALL 7 BACK IN A WEEK!!! I WAS DEVASTATED, THEN I REREAD THE BOOK AND ALSO GOT THE CALP BOOK WHICH IS BETTER. I'VE LOST A COUPLE OF THOSE POUNDS ALREADY. NOT MUCH THOUGH. MAYBE ATKINS WAS BETTER FOR ME, BUT I WANTED CARBS.

animaldoc
Thu, Feb-21-02, 07:31
Be sure and get the book (or books) and read them...

But-YES this diet works for me! I lost 40 lbs and kept it off for 2 years until I stopped this WOE (duh). The trick is to read the books and follow them to the letter!

Good luck!
-animaldoc :wave:

Betsy
Thu, Feb-21-02, 23:18
Hi,

I'm new to the CAD program, I've only been on it 5 days but I already see the difference in how I feel and my level of hunger. The two meals of protein only for breakfast and lunch keeps my cravings away, and my reward meal is whatever meal I want. I always eat my salad first before moving on to the other foods but I'm already eating less. In the older book I have it says we will naturally begin to consume less once the insulin gets under control and in just these few days I'm already seeing that. Yes, it will take longer than Atkins to lose weight but this isn't a food plan I have to change once I lose my weight. Its a way of eating I can do for the rest of my life. I am thrilled not to have those impulsive feelings and its wonderful to feel satisfied. Calories do count, it still means less calories means weight loss but this plan makes it possible to cut back on the calories naturally without feeling hungry. To me that is a miracle!

wawtigress
Sat, Feb-23-02, 05:45
I have been on Calp for about 2 months and love it. I'm steadily losing a little over 1 lb a week and eating great. It is not a diet of unlimited carbs. You have to balance the meal and you're right about losing your appetite after a while. I do the OPTION about GFT chromium and it has really helped me. I'm never hungry. I eat my eggs and meat for breakfast then skip lunch. I never think about it and eat my reward meal about 3:00 in the afternoon since i"m retired and do not eat again until morning. This is a change for me. I used to snack all day and evening. CArbs never filled me up. NOw i'm a happy camper and lost a total of 24 lbs. without hunger.Now you can still eat lunch of proteins and veggies but I just never think of it anymore and i also drink lots of water.Have a great day and hope this info helps. WAwtigress

GatorGal93
Wed, Dec-04-02, 08:09
I just found these success stories during a search. I read recently on the board where a few people were just begining to read CAD/CALP and had some questions and I thought these successful stories might help or inspire them.

For myself, I have not lost any weight yet. More importantly, I have not gained any eating to satisfy myself. Also, I feel great and I am much happier! :wave:

In particular, Animaldoc's post really hit home. When I fell off the LC bandwagon, I too gained all of the weight back. Let's do it right and stick to plan! :cheer:

Have a terrific LC day!

Julie

skyspinner
Wed, Dec-04-02, 10:33
Hi, sheralyn.....glad to see you inquiring about this plan. It has been amazingly successful for many folks for many years now.

First off, let me say that everything I say here is my OPINION, based on my reading, discussion w/ others and my own experiences. I am not an expert, I don't do research and I am not to be confused w/ any sort of guru-type at all. :lol:

In answer to your question, yes, many have lost weight by simply eating whatever they like during one continuous hour per day and eating low-carb the rest of the day. That's the very basic level of the Hellers' plans. The rest of it is simply tweaking for better results.

To get started, hie thee to a nearby library and check out all the books written by Richard and Rachael Heller. They published "Carbohydrate Addict's Diet" (CAD), "Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Plan" (CALP), "Carbohydrate Addict's Healthy Heart Plan" (CAHHP) and a couple of others. Read the core of each book, where they tell you about how to do it. Read the part of each book where they explain about insulin, what it does and how it can be controlled. Read the parts in some of the books where they discuss "Options" you can add on to the basic plan. The rest of the books are pretty much just war stories, interesting to read but not essential to success.

The science upon which the Hellers base their works is that some of us produce excessive amounts of insulin when we eat foods high in carbohydrate....starches, basically. This is what makes it so easy for us to gain weight and so hard to lose it on many of the diets we have tried. The Hellers have termed this "carbohydrate addiction", although the proper term for it is "hyperinsulinemia"....i.e., too much insulin floating around in the bloodstream. You may also be familiar w/ the term "insulin resistant". It has been in the popular press for quite a while now and simply means too much insulin; so much that your body can't handle it and so "resists" it. When this happens, the last depot where your body can and will put energy from food you eat is in your fat cells. Thus, overweight.

Not everyone is in this boat, and there is a quiz in each of the books that will help you sort out whether you are and whether this plan may work for you.

When we restrict our high-carb intake to once a day, we control the amount of insulin our body produces, not just in response to that meal, but all day long. Less insulin means less weight gain. Even more importantly, less insulin means less hunger. When you are on plan, you are usually not hungry and do not have cravings for carbs, so it's much easier to stay on plan. Many also report that they feel much better on plan, which also makes it easier to stay on. There really doesn't seem to be a downside to this WOL!

If you decide to try it, there are lots of folks here to offer advice and support.....you won't be alone! Some of us are newbies; others have years of experience to call upon. It's pretty easy to get going on a plan that you can handle. There are no forbidden foods at all. Just timing your meals.

But Job One is to go read, read, read. Only by doing that can you decide if it is for you. :) After you decide is plenty soon enough to settle on which variation you want to follow and to put out money for the book you want to use to plan your success.

Come back here armed w/ the basic knowlege and ask away! :)

Remember now, this is only my OPINION! :lol: You get to make your own opinions.