PDA

View Full Version : New to LC - Carb fanatic - will need support!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JessDMB41
Tue, Aug-08-06, 20:52
Hello all, I'm a newbie here at the forums, and to the lifestyle that is low carb. My name is Jess, and I'm 24, a full time mom and full time nursing student.

I'm going to be starting on the atkins diet, and basically want to limit the carbs to 20-40g per day. I have a relative who's been on the diet for a couple wks and has lost pretty steadily so I figured I'd do my best. I, of course am a complete carb junkie. I crave them and when I do, will do just about anything until my craving is satisfied. I am going to be strong though and I came here for support and so far everything looks great.

I made it through half a day thusfar considering I started mid day :) I'm completely full right now from a turkey salad and egg whites, which I was surprised by, and I hope I can still have some variety in my diet which I absolutely need to be sane.

Any tips, advice, are more than welcome. :wave:

liddie01
Tue, Aug-08-06, 21:02
Hi Jess, and welcome, you will find a lot of support here, also a lot of ideas for food and recipes, enjoy yourself! :wave:

freckles
Tue, Aug-08-06, 22:32
I, of course am a complete carb junkie. I crave them and when I do, will do just about anything until my craving is satisfied.

If this is the case I would HIGHLY recommend you going on strict induction for the two week minimum. That will cure you of your carb cravings. You can begin upping your carbs after the two weeks, but that two weeks will certainly cure those cravings. Good luck to you. freckles

JessDMB41
Tue, Aug-08-06, 22:40
I've read on multiple websites that people on Atkins experience less energy and crash, and when beginning to start to eat a bit normally, gain back everything they've lost. It's a bit aggravating, and scary.

JaneDough
Tue, Aug-08-06, 23:02
I've read on multiple websites that people on Atkins experience less energy and crash, and when beginning to start to eat a bit normally, gain back everything they've lost. It's a bit aggravating, and scary.
It's also misleading, if not downright inaccurate - which you'll find out for yourself over time.

My advice is to understand the plan well enough to do a pristine Induction. You said a couple of things in your initial post that make me think you're not quite there yet. All the best on your journey.

freckles
Tue, Aug-08-06, 23:34

The first week I did experience less energy (don't know what you mean by crash). After the first week I had more energy than I'd experienced since being in my early 20's. When I'm low-carbing my energy and emotions are UP. I feel good. I don't know what you mean by "beginning to start to eat a bit normally." If you mean going back to eating high carb, I'm sure they gained back everything. This isn't a quick-loss diet plan. This is a way of eating for life. If you follow the plan as described in the book you can do this, feel good, and not gain the weight back. The fact is that eating high carb (read: sugar, white flour, etc. in other words the way most people in America eat) is very bad for you. Many, many people will gain weight eating this way. You can low carb and lose weight and then go back to the American way of eating and YES, you will gain it back.

Sounds like you need to get the book (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution) and read it from cover to cover. First thing is, eat the whole egg, not just the whites. You need to be eating the FAT. My question to you is, if you don't agree with the plan why are you on it? Do your research. It truly does work!!! Good luck to you. freckles

Kristine
Wed, Aug-09-06, 06:59
Hi and welcome. :wave:

First note: what Freckles said. What's with the egg whites? The nutrients are in the yolk. :) Remember, this is a high fat diet, not high protein.

I used to be such an infamous junk addict, my former coworkers sent me off with about ten pounds of chocolate bars when I moved away. I ate them all in an embarassingly short period of time. I was awful. Now, it doesn't even faze me. If I can get over it, anyone can! Just stick to your guns, don't tease yourself with fake junk food, and load up on nutritious, filling permitted foods.

Hope you're feeling well today. :)

JessDMB41
Wed, Aug-09-06, 07:38
The first week I did experience less energy (don't know what you mean by crash). After the first week I had more energy than I'd experienced since being in my early 20's. When I'm low-carbing my energy and emotions are UP. I feel good. I don't know what you mean by "beginning to start to eat a bit normally." If you mean going back to eating high carb, I'm sure they gained back everything. This isn't a quick-loss diet plan. This is a way of eating for life. If you follow the plan as described in the book you can do this, feel good, and not gain the weight back. The fact is that eating high carb (read: sugar, white flour, etc. in other words the way most people in America eat) is very bad for you. Many, many people will gain weight eating this way. You can low carb and lose weight and then go back to the American way of eating and YES, you will gain it back.

Sounds like you need to get the book (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution) and read it from cover to cover. First thing is, eat the whole egg, not just the whites. You need to be eating the FAT. My question to you is, if you don't agree with the plan why are you on it? Do your research. It truly does work!!! Good luck to you. freckles

Oh I never said I don't agree with the plan. I just meant that when you do start to incorporate more carbs into your diet. I know this is a way of life, and not just a quick diet. I sincerely am excited to change my eating habits for the better, and that is why I'm beginning the diet. I'm halfway through the book and plan to finish it today.

JessDMB41
Wed, Aug-09-06, 07:39
You said a couple of things in your initial post that make me think you're not quite there yet. All the best on your journey.

May I ask what?

JessDMB41
Wed, Aug-09-06, 07:40
Hi and welcome. :wave:

First note: what Freckles said. What's with the egg whites? The nutrients are in the yolk. :) Remember, this is a high fat diet, not high protein.

Oh I know. After that post I ate a hard boiled egg. Love the yolks. I'm not hungry right now but I promised myself I would eat breakfast to kick start the metabolism. Might just make a couple eggs. My son is having cereal and it's not tempting me too much :)

27Peach
Wed, Aug-09-06, 08:06
Jess, welcome! You have an exciting and rewarding journey ahead of you! Please always remember that this is not just about losing weight, but is about being HEALTHY!

I'm glad to hear that you are reading the New Diet Revolution. That way you will know how to follow this WOE (way of eating)accurately and without guesswork, plus you will understand the logic behind it - so many people don't and have such bad misconceptions.

Keep us posted on your progess!!!

JessDMB41
Wed, Aug-09-06, 12:34
Jess, welcome! You have an exciting and rewarding journey ahead of you! Please always remember that this is not just about losing weight, but is about being HEALTHY!

I'm glad to hear that you are reading the New Diet Revolution. That way you will know how to follow this WOE (way of eating)accurately and without guesswork, plus you will understand the logic behind it - so many people don't and have such bad misconceptions.

Keep us posted on your progess!!!

I know, that's why I'm doing it :)

Today is rough. I need snack ideas but don't have a lot of things readily available.

27Peach
Wed, Aug-09-06, 13:39

Jess, regarding the energy levels, you may experience some lack of energy during induction - this is your body learning to switch to burning fat instead of burning glucose. Your body will be like, "what are you doing to me?" but soon you will feel the energy return and you will be feeling great - just give it time. Some people take several days for this and some take a couple of weeks - everyone responds a bit differently. Some benefits of my having more energy now is not being a couch potato on the weekends, being more productive at work, not wanting to let the couch suck me right in the moment I get home from work, etc!

Right now I am in induction and for a snack I just have some decaf coffee with a tablespoon of heavy cream. I have this mid morning and mid afternoon. It really helps hold me over until mealtimes! Also, sometimes I will save some of my lunch to eat later for a mid afternoon snack. Some simple snack ideas, if you can make them ahead and then access them from the fridge at work would be: sandwich meat wrapped around a small amount of cream cheese and diced olives, or some fried cheese rounds with a bit of salsa (no sugar added), or a mozzarella stick with a few olives.

Hope I've been somewhat helpful. :)