PDA

View Full Version : [BFL] Hi! I am new here and ...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Shaina
Thu, Jan-17-02, 12:21
thought I would introduce myself. My name is Shaina and I am planning on starting BFL shortly. I used to be on Atkins but have decided to lose weight in a healthier way and also want to keep it off this time. I have about 50 pounds to lose.

I have been working out with a personal trainer twice a week doing weight lifting for the past year but have not seen great results coz I couldn't keep my food in control. Anyway a friend told me about BFL and I asked my trainer and he said he has seen great results on BFL himself and with his other clients. He gave me the book to read and I liked what I read. I have already started the cardio part of it as of this week and plan on working out with my trainer 3 times a week starting in couple weeks to do the weight lifting part.

The only thing that confuses me a little is the food part. I just found this forum so am going to try and read prior post to get some ideas but as of right now I have a lot of question about what I can eat etc.. The book did not give too many details.

Any help from all of you would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

:roll:

Shaina
Thu, Jan-17-02, 19:18
no one is replying to my post .... :cry:

I really need some help. I want to start BFL but am quite confused about the food part. Also I have read Sugar Busters and was wondering if I can incorporate SB & BFL ?

I look forward to your responses. Thanks in advance for your help.

officerjqg
Thu, Jan-17-02, 19:58
OK ill bite. I am also new. I have been on Atkins for a while and lost a lot. I decided to become the lean mean fighting machine that the girls will swoon for so I read a few things and decided on BFL. I will not risk the weight gain of a high carb low fat diet. I know what happens when I eat that way. Thats why I am along with others trying to fine tune low carbing with the BFL. If you decided that you want to Low Carb you must understand that you will have to be dedicated to the diet. You cant do it a few days then not then go back. It will not work that way. So if you want more info on Low carb Diets I can help you. It wont be today though because I am really tired and the screen is drying out my eyes. So good luck, study your options and decide what is right for you. Everyone is diffrent.

James

Marlaine
Fri, Jan-18-02, 00:40
Hi there......

Have you read the post called: LC and BFL - Tips and Hints http://forum.lowcarber.org/t29683.html

It's got lots of good information. Natrushka's Journal is another place to look.

Personally, I'm doing Atkins with a few modifications. BFL's food recommendations are too high carb for me. I'm eating a higher protein level and breaking my food into 3 meals and 3 snacks. And I'm using a protein drink as at least one meal/snack a day for the supplements.

Bottom line...use whatever low carb plan you are most comfortable with. There is information about all of them and a comparison here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=1000&forumid=68

Hope this has been of some help.

Marlaine

Shaina
Fri, Jan-18-02, 10:36
James & Marlaine for your responses. I have had some sucess with Atkins (I had lost 10 pounds in 2 months) but once I started eating carbs specially around the holidays I gained it all back. I think Atkins's is just too restrictive for me. I have read Sugar Busters and it's more of a smart carb low sugar high protein WOE and I like that. I was thinking about trying the BFL eating plan for a couple weeks to see what kind of results I get, but the book is not to clear on foods etc.

Is there someone on this forum that is doing BFL food too that could mabe give me some pointers?

Also if I do decided to do LC version of BFL do I still get to have the free day? I really like that concept of being able to eat some of the forbidden foods on one day.

I did get a chance to read some of the things you suggested and it looks like if you do LC you combine it with High Protein & High Fat or is that Protein Power .... oh I am so confused .... :confused:

I know I will need to research and come up with whatever is best for me but it's great to hear from people who are already doing certian things and can give advice.

Thanks again for all your help....

:spin: :spin: :spin:

Marlaine
Fri, Jan-18-02, 11:02
Originally posted by Shaina
Also if I do decided to do LC version of BFL do I still get to have the free day?

The bottom line is YOU get to do whatever YOU feel is right for YOU!! For a lot of us, a day eating "forbidden" food would be more than we could handle. It would knock us off of the LC wagon and it would be difficult to get back on. Only you know what works for you.

I'd say, just get started and tweak away until you get it working for you...whatever plan you decide on.

Marlaine

bsayne
Fri, Jan-18-02, 15:05
We all have so very many...Botton line for me was it seemed to be fear of jumping in with both feet! I am still tweaking my program but a few things caught my eye...eating carbs ala "Holiday Style" is a sure killer for an ongoing LC WOE! I went off my plan on purpose for the "GOOD" food I was missing and am just about done RELOSING that wt...The secret to your plan is that you decide what works for you...

I am using a modifed PP plan keeping carbs btwn 30-50 or so similar to Nat's program and it seems to be working well so far...as far as a day off, I know if I jump off the dock...I'll be forced to "swim in it" and I've come to far to go beyond my own parameters! I don't want food to control me ever again. Whatever you decide I hope you go for it and do well!

Check out the links provided and read, read, read its the best way to answer your questions! The more I read the more I want to know!

Bsayne

officerjqg
Fri, Jan-18-02, 19:13
I have been trying to up my carbs but I cant do it. It seems to me like I just have to cook more stuff. I hate cooking more stuff. O well I was thinking about maybe using milk instead of water for my shakes. I dont know, im in no rush to work it out now. Toninght i am trying a low carb pizza, should be good.

James

Marlaine
Fri, Jan-18-02, 23:37
James...

If you are trying to up your carbs, it's wise to add quality carbs. Vegetables will give you more nutritional bang for your buck. It's a pretty sophisticated machine there that we are formulating fuel for and it's worth making it the best.

Marlaine