PDA

View Full Version : Okay, Already, Here's My Introduction!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

40Thin
Mon, Jan-31-05, 08:43
What an awesome forum folks - I'm glad to have found this resource! I'm a 40-year-old writer/webmistress/stay-at-home mom who has lost 3 lbs in my first week and a half on what I'm calling a "modified" Atkins program. I have 23 more lbs to go ... Really, I'm just eating high-protein, low carb, good fats etc., but I do include fruit and red wine -- so there! I'm trying to stay in the 25-30 net carb range per day. I have been keeping a diary most days and have a net carb counter that I've relied on.

I actually abandoned LA Weight Loss for this low-carb lifestyle. Some of you may be familiar with LAWL, which costs a small fortune -- I did lose 8 lbs last summer on it, but gained them back easily and was hungry all the time. What I really love about this low-carb kind of eating is the natural appetite suppression and elimination of cravings for carbs/sweets. I went from having MULTIPLE desserts per day over the holidays to now either having no sweets per day or an occassional low-carb treat like LC ice cream or hot cocoa -- with lots of fresh whipped cream of course! :yum: And not feeling deprived ...

I've read many of the low-carb books reviewed here and a couple of times did try to faithfully follow Atkins and South Beach -- but in truth, the induction phases are way too strict for me. So I thought I'd tweak these programs a bit by adding some fruit and some low-carb grain products -- and viola! The weight STILL comes off and I'm not feeling deprived. I'm comfortable with a 1-2 lb loss per week and feel like I can eat this way permanently -- I definitely feel healthier.

But I have noticed some facial breakouts since I began this program, though, and I'm guessing it's the additional fats/oils I'm now consuming? Probably drinking more water to flush out my system would help, but I have a difficult time getting all my water in. If I get half in each day I consider that good for me. I tend toward drinking things like crystal light and coffee too much probably.

I hope to pick up some additional days of exercise as we head into spring -- does anyone else NOT feel like exercising when it's cold and snowy outside? (I'm in Pittsburgh.) At this point I am playing either tennis or paddle tennis a couple of times a week and that's it.

I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with new recipies, and ones even that my husband and two girls (11 & 13) like. I especially like reading posts about a new favorite dessert or recipe that someone has tried. I made some mashed cauliflower from a posted recipe here last night and it was fabulous!

So hello hello hello and continued success for all who are here! I hope to be at my goal weight before I turn 41 in July!

:wave:

P.S I just discovered these "CarbDown FlatOut" flatbreads that weigh in at just 8 net carbs per HUGE flatbread. There are some fun recipes on the back of the package and the one for pizza is way fun. I made one the other night as my substitute on pizza night, and it was fabulous. I used sliced olives, beef stick and shredded cheddar cheese. I found the flatbreads at Walmart for $2 per package. You can also get them at www.delections.com. Happy low-carbing!

BadgerGirl
Mon, Jan-31-05, 08:57
Welcome! This is, indeed, a fantastic forum.

I am also a 40yo writer, but I only work at home a few days a week.

I empathize with you on exercise. I'm outside Boston. We recently had three feet of snow dumped on us, and it is very gloomy outside. I also get up very early, and it's hard to feel motivated to work out at 3:30 AM when dawn is still hours away. And it's all the more frustrating because I was doing so incredibly well with exercise this past fall. Maybe we can encourage one another. I'm certainly willing.

As for reaching goal weight by July, I think I'll shoot for a 50 pound loss and then reevaluate. :)

Looking forward to seeing you around and witnessing your shrinking body.

way2goal
Mon, Jan-31-05, 08:58
welcome...I too did and abandoned LAWL. Being hypothyroid and IR, I kept insisting the carbs in the bars + 2 slices low cal bread per day were TOO MUCH, but they just cannot accomodate anything but a 'normal' metabolism. I agree, I was always hungry too. I feel SO much better eating low carb!

Good luck on your Atkins journey. I'm doing Atkins too, but really not losing anything but the same 2 lbs over and over...hoping for a whoosh.

way2goal
Mon, Jan-31-05, 08:59
badger girl..I'm outside Boston too! (Natick!)..nice knowing a 'local' here! Good luck!!!

BadgerGirl
Mon, Jan-31-05, 09:05
badger girl..I'm outside Boston too! (Natick!)..nice knowing a 'local' here! Good luck!!!
Then we are neighbors. I am in Westford and considering the need to shovel off my roof! :lol:

BTW, I too keep losing and gaining those same damned 2-5 pounds! It's exercise that I so badly need, but right now I am dreading it, even though I know it makes me feel better. :mad:

PamBee
Mon, Jan-31-05, 09:11
Hi..

I am also from the same area you are. Welcome to the forum :) I go to Curves 3 days a week, but will start walking along with it when the weather warms up! Good luck to you!

mommyo4
Mon, Jan-31-05, 09:23
Hey 40thin, welcome, welcome, welcome!

I know the feeling about exercising in the cold. I am 45 min. se of Pittsburgh and know how cold it has been! I try to go to the gym at 6am, however sometimes its just to cold to get out that early in the am.

One tip I have to drinking my water is to eat hot & spicy food. I tend to just keep drinking while I eat, the hotter the more water!!!

40Thin
Mon, Jan-31-05, 10:32
Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone! I am currently sipping some green tea, as I read elsewhere on this site that green tea (with caffeine) aids in weight loss. Anyone in this forum agree? Also, is there any chance that I can consider this tea part of my water consumption :>) ?

4beans4me
Mon, Jan-31-05, 10:50
http://pages.prodigy.net/bestsmileys1/emoticons3/ACC35.GIF

moondanzr
Mon, Jan-31-05, 11:12
Welcome!
This forum is great with supportive and friendly people!
Cheers!
Nancy

BadgerGirl
Mon, Jan-31-05, 11:40
I am currently sipping some green tea, as I read elsewhere on this site that green tea (with caffeine) aids in weight loss. Anyone in this forum agree? Also, is there any chance that I can consider this tea part of my water consumption :>) ?
Green tea is also a fertility aid so watch out! ;)

I don't know how many calories one burns drinking green tea, but its health benefits are just generally so good, I say drink up. And the caffeine content is so low, I see no reason why you can't count that toward your daily water intake.

I am currently sipping Blue Flower Earl Grey and I do not feel one bit guilty about counting it toward my water.

Annette Bo
Tue, Feb-01-05, 07:32
I'm so glad to hear that I'm not alone "tweaking" Atkins. Actually, It's really not even Atkins. It's simply rmoving bread,rice, pasta, cereal....etc. I'm am however trying to avoid even fruit for 1 to 2 weeks. I don't know if i'll make it, but I'll try! It's only been 4 days and I feel pretty good. I'm afraid to step on the scale, because I tend to lose very very SLOW with any plan. I need to go by how the clothes feel! I will be drinking some low carb beer on Superbowl day! I've already given myself permission. I too find the "induction" or "phase 1" of Atkins and South Beach much too difficult to stay on. So, it just makes perfect sense to skip to phase 2 of S.B. or tweak a program. I will be perfectly happy losing slower. Hey, it's better than not losing at all! Oh, also, this morning I had a low carb piece of toast with butter. mmm,mmm! I just cant stomach eggs and meat in the morning all of the time. A.B.

BadgerGirl
Tue, Feb-01-05, 07:41
I'm so glad to hear that I'm not alone "tweaking" Atkins. Actually, It's really not even Atkins. It's simply rmoving bread,rice, pasta, cereal....etc.
I'm not really on Atkins either. I eliminated all sources of sugar and flour from my diet and eat only three meals a day, nothing in between. It comes out to around 39% fat, 28% carb and 33% protein (~1,200-1,500 calories) daily.

I do, however, weigh and measure my food. My eyes lie about portion size! :blush: