PDA

View Full Version : better than some bread

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Nancy Park
Mon, Jul-05-04, 16:31
here is a recipe for great tasting bread that is better than many because it is high in protein and uses almost all whole wheat flour with some high pro gluten flour. I simply cannot work out the specs but judge for yourself if this is not better than regular bread!
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I use the pastry grind or grind it myself--you can grind any kind of bean you like to throw in and make it healthier)

1/4 cup gluten flour

3 teaspoons yeast

1 tea s salt

1/4 tea s baking soda

2 table s sugar

1 table s dried onion

1table s dill seed

mix or throw in bread baker

add warmed
1 egg

1 cup non fat cottage cheese

2 table s canola or olive oil

1/2 to 3/4 cups water

Set bread baker on whole wheat setting, medium crust or just stir it up (no kneading required)
If using loaf pan, bake at 350 for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, check by tappng loaf top to sound hollow and it is nicely browned.
Cool and slice. Remember, you can add seeds of your choice. This toasts as well. My theory is that the high pro count and w wheat and gluten flour which is 73 to 80% protein makes this much better than regular bread, never mind that it is heavenly tasting. It does have carbs, my best guess is the same as ww bread but is so high in protein and good oil that if you just have to have bread this is better than regular. It can be made with white flour and full fat cottage cheese but why ? short cycle on my DAK bread baker works also. Don't want to knead up much gluten flour! I tried this with lots more gluten flour and it turned into a rubber ball that lifted off the lid of my machine. What a mess.