PDA

View Full Version : AMAZING Hamburger buns 1.2 CARBS!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Rapvnzle
Thu, May-20-04, 13:58
I've been recently lurking on another low carb message boad and found this recipe that has literally pages and pages of raves about this recipe. I emailed the recipe owner and asked if it was OK to bring it over here and she said go ahead!

"These beat the heck outta the revolution rolls for bread. They are moist and chewy like bread and they won't stick to your fingers!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You will actually use only 1 tbsp of the mix in your waffle iron, so that they come out in a circle shape instead of the square! I didn't count the number of buns I got, but it was a lot! Sorry about that.

The neat thing too.....the little squares hold in the mayo and mustard!!! No dripping! LOL"
---------------------------------------------------
Sherrie's Savory Burger Bun

*Preheat the waffle iron

1 8oz Pkg cream cheese
3 eggs
3 tsp Splenda
1/2 cup Atkins Bake Mix
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1/4 cup buttermilk

Beat cream cheese with mixer until blended smooth, add the remaining ingredients. Spray pan with a light coat of olive oil flavored non stick spray and pour in pan about 1 tbps of mix. It will make a perfect round bun! You can freezed them and reheat them in the toaster! My hubby says this is the best bread yet.

It should come out to about 1 carb per bun!
Nutiritional Info Via Fitday
Calories Total: 72
Fat: 6 70%
Sat: 3 39%
Poly: 0 5%
Mono: 2 20%
Carbs: 1.2 6%
Fiber: .11 0%
Protein: 4 24%

Source: sherrielee

These are EXCELLENT!!! I made them monday and have tweaked the recipe a bit so I can use it as waffles and tortillas.. I've missed bread and this is great!!

Rainbowgc
Mon, May-24-04, 11:07
These are really good. I crisp mine before using. They are great to use as a base for dip/spreads. I get mine even by using a 1 Tablespoon scoop, similar to an ice cream scoop.
Erika

Vanity3
Mon, May-24-04, 11:16
Great, now anyone have a receipe for pita bread?

Also, I don't have a waffel iron, but I do have the "perfect pancake" machine. Could I use that?

lowcarbjo
Mon, May-24-04, 11:51
Um.... if you don't have a waffle iron ... are there any other ways to cook/bake these buns???

Rainbowgc
Mon, May-24-04, 12:07
I've heard of other ways but I gotta tell you these little babies are really good so maybe you could borrow one, try and and then if you like it buy a machine for $10, or off ebay (garage sales or ask around maybe someone has one they are not using and would sell you.) These are so quick and easy to make, I double and keep some in the freezer.
Things I have done with mine:
base for eggs benedict
base for egg salad,
spread with sf JAM (really good right of the wafflemaker)
spread with cream cheese and topped with salmon MMMMMMMMMMMMM!
topped with cajun seafood spread
topped with smoked fish spread
topped with PB and jelly
egg sandwich (McMuffin)
as waffles

BTW I leave out the spices so they are for more uses
I want to try adding cocoa to make ice cream sandwiches

barefoot51
Tue, May-25-04, 15:46
Thanks for the recipe !

Can you think of a sub for the Atkins bake mix?

Thanks, barefoot

Rapvnzle
Fri, May-28-04, 22:48
I've also heard of using a muffin top pan to make these? Here's a website to purchase one:

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=178296

barefoot.. Here's a recipe that was listed with the bun recipe :)

Make your own Atkins Bake Mix

1 cup soy flour
2 cups soy protein isolate
2 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Splenda

Sift together then store and use as you would Dr. A's. It's much cheaper and things come out about the same.

MammaC
Sat, Jun-12-04, 09:56
I cook these on a hot griddle like pancakes. I just put a spoonful of the batter on the griddle and spread it out carefully with the spoon, let it brown on one side, turn it over and mash it flat with the spatula, cook on that side until brown, and turn once more to brown the edges of the first side in case any batter spread out when I flattened it. The only problem I have found with them is that they disappear before I get hardly any of them. My daughter who is also lcing loves them. I do, too, when I can manage to grab a couple for myself.:lol:

LoriLoCarb
Sat, Jun-12-04, 15:01
These are great!! My DH thinks these are the best thing since sliced bread :lol: . Okay, bad joke, but seriously, these are awesome and he says they have made the difference in how he is looking at this WOE. He used to be a big sandwich guy and sandwiches and burgers on buns were the only think he was missing and now he feels like he has them anyway :). Also, we bought a waffle iron just for these at Wal-Mart for $6.50 - can't beat that and they are worth it! Thanks Rapvnzle for the nutritional info too!

kiwigal
Wed, Jun-16-04, 17:17
Hi, I found that great recipe for sherrie's savory burger buns,they taste great.BUT i am going out of my mind trying to find the original lo carb message board they were on..I see hat you found it on that site and was wondering if you could put me out of my miserty and share the link.
Thanks heaps.
Kiwigal :help:

easylyvin
Wed, Jun-16-04, 19:19
Just printed this one out! Can't wait to try it! Thanks!

GeoUSA
Wed, Jun-16-04, 19:52
I am really confused... :lol: Is this your typical waffle iron that makes grid shaped (low spots/high spots) waffles? I have a Belgian waffle maker that makes round waffles (it cooks from the top and bottom simultaneously). I just can't imagine this is the device this recipe is calling for to make hamburger buns. :help:

kiwigal
Thu, Jun-17-04, 04:42
You can find Sherrie's original posting of this recipe ~Low carb friends Bulletin board{YAHOO!!!I finally found the site that had been driving me crazy]
Its well worth reading through everyones replies,you'll end up with a number of finely tuned sweet and savory recipes,cooked in a variety of ways and with alternative bake mix substitutes..for those that dont like soy.
Its a definite "keeper" Deeeeelicous!! :agree: :thup: :thup:
Kiwigal

Lindym
Fri, Jun-25-04, 21:53
Here is the link to the "waffles".

http://headed-west.com/breads1.htm

I made them tonight, leaving out the seasonings. We mixed xthanum gum with SF strawberry syrup to make a gel and stirred it into sliced strawberrys. Broke up the waffles in a bowl, added the berries and topped it off with whipped cream!!!

I add 2T of olive oil to the batter and the waffles don't stick. (I picked up my waffle iron at a thrift store for $3.99.)

GeoUSA
Sat, Jun-26-04, 18:48
Thanks for the link, Lindym. I am much less confused now. :lol:

J.K.
Sat, Jun-26-04, 19:28
Okay - I have to try this.. http://prism.azedia.com/html/emoticons/ibbanana.gif

thanks!

J.K.
Mon, Jun-28-04, 11:22
Follow Up:

Did try it and they taste awsome. :roll:

Better actually than a regular hamburger bun which really has very little taste in and of itself.

I did find, however, that I could not get 18 buns out of the recipie as described. As a result I'm doubling the carb count. I think that has to do with the waffle maker I'm using though. It's Belgian.

Time to go to the store, however, and get another waffle maker.

This recipie alone is worth that.. :thup:

wisdomom
Sun, Jul-11-04, 13:07
I didn't have any buttermilk, so I used Yocheese instead. They are absolutely awesome!

kiwigal
Wed, Jul-14-04, 03:54
On the reverse side of parchment paper,draw around a bread and butter plate.
Then put about a tablespoon of the mixture on and carefully and thinly spread to the circle shape..nuke for one minute,they will puff up,then go down. As they cool you can easily peel them off the paper. {I usually have 2 going and fire one in to nuke while 1 is cooling]
You will get about 20. Then you dry fry each side in a pan til golden..Voila! Tortillas! store well in the fridge{just reheat in microwave for 20 secs]
I dry fry them for a litte longer and use them to scoop curries[Yum]
This idea, alas, is not mine! but the originator of the recipe Sherrie..I just picked up this idea when lurking on another site. :yum:

Sneaky2006
Tue, Oct-26-04, 14:15
I have seen this recipe before and copied it, but then I lost it. I came back here and I knew you guys would have it somewhere! :)
Glad to see no one hated them... I really need a bun for bacon cheese burgers! Thanks!

suzzee2003
Mon, Jan-03-05, 22:21
This recipe looks really good.....I'll have to try it!

PlayDoh
Mon, Jan-17-05, 15:04
this looks like a great recipe, thanks for sharing :D i have a muffin top pan already. has anyone tried making these in a muffin top pan yet? and also, with the carb count, does it mean per piece of bread? or per bun as in two pieces equals a bun? sorry for the confusion :lol:

kiwigal
Mon, Jan-17-05, 15:57
Playdoh..check out this link..you'll find it lengthy, but worth a browse through..lots of folk have experimented and tweaked all over the place!!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65922
Hope its of some help :wave:

Kagior
Fri, Jan-21-05, 17:30
I made these and they are awesome! I had a sandwich! I could put some meat and cheese between these and eat with my hands again. Salad on the side of course. Very easy to make, delicious too. I made plain ones, spiced ones, and cinnamon ones for brekky. I heartily reccomend these bread like objects!

bsgatz
Sun, Jan-23-05, 17:22
MammaC
HI! I was reading the replies about theese burger buns and I found yours interesting to my needs. I tried theese the other day and I have to say they were quite tasty, although I made mine the same way you did yours, on a hot griddle. Before I said anything to my husband, he tried them and he said they tasted like pancakes. Much to my surprise, that was the exact same thing I thought they tasted like. Do you think I did something wrong when making them? and did yours taste like pancakes to you? I also wondered if you have also tried them on a waffle iron like the recipe calls for, and if so , do they taste anymore like a regular bun when making them that way? If so or anyone who knows who has tried them this way please let me know and I will certainly invest the few dollars in buying a waffle iron? Thanks for your reply and any tips you can give me in advance. bsgatz.

Samantha22
Mon, Jan-31-05, 16:56
thanks for sharing! i'll have to try it!

auntchata
Thu, Feb-03-05, 09:25
Made these last night, and they are wonderful. I left out the seasonings and made them plain. I think plain they need some salt but wow. Heated in toaster this am for a breakfast sandwich, and they were great!! I wanna try making them sweeter with cinnamon or maybe with unsweetened cocoa powder!! The possibilities and variations are endless. You gotta try these!!!

5cats
Thu, Feb-03-05, 10:23
Could you use the minicarb 0 carb mix instead of the Atkin's mix?
Thanks
K

cmcole
Thu, Feb-03-05, 11:55
Having never tried them, I wouldn't know about them, but the people on this site raved that the recipe this person derived is an exact duplicate.

O'Solo Roll Clone (http://www.atkinsalltheway.com/viewtopic.php?t=2619)

BlitzedAng
Fri, Feb-04-05, 05:57
When I made theese i used half the batter for the buns and half minus the seasonings for waffle like desert bottoms. Added cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice to the desert ones and the children loved them. I ate mine toasted and with a lil Polaner sf Blackberry preserves. It's now sweetened with Splenda. Was a nice change during the hectic morning.

Angel

debclement
Wed, Feb-16-05, 15:03
Would an almond flour baking mix work in these recipe? I received a recipe from a low carb website that had a almond flour baking mix recipe in it - a substitute for Bisquick I think. I'm very new to baking the lc way and don't know that much about almond flour baking mixes.

Thanks!
Deb
NE Indiana

bsgatz
Fri, Feb-18-05, 17:11
I also do not know alot about different bake mixes, but right from the first time I made theese l/c buns I used Carbsense zero carb bake mix and they have always turned out just fine. You can always experiment with different ingredients and add things of your liking, just remember to compute your carbs for whatever ingredients you are using. bsgatz

LiveWell
Thu, Mar-03-05, 09:30
So can I use a Belgian waffle maker? and whats the difference in the taste/texture do you think it will make.

All I can find are Belgian waffle makers!

AmynWV
Tue, Mar-08-05, 08:52
Can we use cream instead of buttermilk? I just don't ever buy it and it would go to waste, or else it would be a temptation for DH. Thanks for the recipe!

Kay
Sat, Mar-26-05, 15:45
Thanks for the recipe. These are great.

I found a two-waffle iron at Superstore for $10. It was well-worth buying to keep these waffles on hand.

My husband loves them so much that they were disappearing like crazy, so now I mix a double batch of batter and he has to cook them. We freeze the bulk of them and toast them as needed.

By the way, I could only find Belgian waffle irons too. It works fine. We make the full waffles, not the round ones in the picture. 2 heaping tablespoons of batter does one waffle. By my MasterCook calculations they still come out to about 1 carb per waffle after you subtract the fibre.

Dawg
Mon, Apr-11-05, 22:12
I made these tongiht and they are absolutely fantastic!!! I cannot believe just how wonderful they are. If you are looking for bread that will blow you away, you need not look any farther.

I hope all of Sherrie's recipes are this good. I'll be trying many more of them.

Zuleikaa
Sun, May-08-05, 15:50
I love this recipe!!!!

Mine seems to take more than 2 tablespoons of batter though.

Amy
You can use cream. Just add 1/2 tbsp. of lemon juice to it and let it sit for about 5 minutes to "sour".

surrealme
Wed, May-18-05, 21:39
can anyone post a pic pls?
thx.

WyoDiva
Mon, May-30-05, 21:11
These are fabulous and the possibilities for seasoning and using/eating seem endless to me! I made mine in a pan, and got 13 of them...so closer to 2 carbs each. Best LC bread recipe I've seen yet - ya gotta make them!

OzarkMama
Tue, May-31-05, 01:37
Hi Lindym,

Here is the link to the "waffles".
http://headed-west.com/breads1.htm ...
I add 2T of olive oil to the batter and the waffles don't stick. (I picked up my waffle iron at a thrift store for $3.99.)
This now links to some kind of horse site. I don't suppose you have the legit URL to the page with the recipe thread? Maybe it moved.

OM

Ladyem
Tue, May-31-05, 17:06
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=65922&page=http://forum.lowcarber.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=5306298#

Hello everyone this is the original thread hope I copied it right these are awesome! Enjoy and thanks for letting me hang out..

kiwigal
Thu, Jun-02-05, 01:10
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=65922

think you'll find this is the right link!!
And its definetly worth a read all the way through to glean hints and tips!

rbednarski
Thu, Jun-02-05, 12:29
On the reverse side of parchment paper,draw around a bread and butter plate.
Then put about a tablespoon of the mixture on and carefully and thinly spread to the circle shape..nuke for one minute,they will puff up,then go down. As they cool you can easily peel them off the paper. {I usually have 2 going and fire one in to nuke while 1 is cooling]
You will get about 20. Then you dry fry each side in a pan til golden..Voila! Tortillas! store well in the fridge{just reheat in microwave for 20 secs]
I dry fry them for a litte longer and use them to scoop curries[Yum]
This idea, alas, is not mine! but the originator of the recipe Sherrie..I just picked up this idea when lurking on another site. :yum:

Great idea! I added a little olive oil, parmesan cheese, and italian seasonings to the mixture and then used the "tortillas" as the base for pizza. It is the best pizza substitute I've found yet. Thanks.

My next experiment will be to replace a portion of the atkins baking mix with wheat protein isolate to get more of a wheaty taste and a little more pliability. The search for the perfect pizza substitute continues. . .

Rich

weberwen
Sat, Feb-04-06, 13:24
wHERE DO YOU BUY XTHANUM GUM, ETC??

PlayDoh
Sat, Feb-04-06, 14:23
you can get xanthan gum through netrition. i get it at my local raley's supermarket in the diet/organic are of the store.

Jonahsafta
Mon, Feb-27-06, 09:23
Is there any recipe for these using CarbQuick. That I have on hand..I dumped my Atkins Bake mix a long time ago..UGH

Jonahsafta
Is there any recipe for these using CarbQuick. That I have on hand..I dumped my Atkins Bake mix a long time ago..UGH

Jonahsafta

Zuleikaa
Mon, Feb-27-06, 09:51
Is there any recipe for these using CarbQuick. That I have on hand..I dumped my Atkins Bake mix a long time ago..UGHOn the Low Carb friends thread I seem to remember someone using it and not liking the result.

Sun, Jan-07-07, 17:57
I've been recently lurking on another low carb message boad and found this recipe that has literally pages and pages of raves about this recipe. I emailed the recipe owner and asked if it was OK to bring it over here and she said go ahead!

"These beat the heck outta the revolution rolls for bread. They are moist and chewy like bread and they won't stick to your fingers!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You will actually use only 1 tbsp of the mix in your waffle iron, so that they come out in a circle shape instead of the square! I didn't count the number of buns I got, but it was a lot! Sorry about that.

The neat thing too.....the little squares hold in the mayo and mustard!!! No dripping! LOL"
---------------------------------------------------
Sherrie's Savory Burger Bun

*Preheat the waffle iron

1 8oz Pkg cream cheese
3 eggs
3 tsp Splenda
1/2 cup Atkins Bake Mix
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1/4 cup buttermilk

Beat cream cheese with mixer until blended smooth, add the remaining ingredients. Spray pan with a light coat of olive oil flavored non stick spray and pour in pan about 1 tbps of mix. It will make a perfect round bun! You can freezed them and reheat them in the toaster! My hubby says this is the best bread yet.

It should come out to about 1 carb per bun!
Nutiritional Info Via Fitday
Calories Total: 72
Fat: 6 70%
Sat: 3 39%
Poly: 0 5%
Mono: 2 20%
Carbs: 1.2 6%
Fiber: .11 0%
Protein: 4 24%

Source: sherrielee

These are EXCELLENT!!! I made them monday and have tweaked the recipe a bit so I can use it as waffles and tortillas.. I've missed bread and this is great!!

Just thought I bring this thread to the top. This looks like a really good receipe for Hamburger buns. I've gotta try it soon. Hope it's as good as everyone says.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/AussieTPP/Animated%20Stuff/3cf61eba-1.gif
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4

weberwen
Sun, Jan-28-07, 12:06
If i am on induction portion of atkins can i still make the hamburger bun recipe??

weberwen
Sun, Jan-28-07, 12:08
can i still have buns if on induction phase

Zuleikaa
Sun, Jan-28-07, 13:00
Yes, you can have the buns on induction. But remember, you're trying to wien yourself off of sandwich thinking so I wouldn't have them every day.

ree4987
Mon, Feb-05-07, 18:01
I have been making these for years and I love it. I had one of those old pancake makers and boy do these do wonders with this receipe. Funny how when the pancake maker came out, everyone said they didn't cook well. But now I've found the perfect thing to make in it, so no square shapes for me!

waywardsis
Mon, Feb-05-07, 20:41
Since I can't have dairy, I subbed mayo for the cheese in rev rolls and they came out great. I'm wondering if I could do the same here, although there's a pretty big difference btwn cream cheese and mayo in consistency. Might give it a shot later on and see what happens.

deniselisa
Fri, Jun-22-07, 13:16
I just made these using carbquick (as sub for the atkins mix), and left out the baking powder. I also didn't use buttermilk (that stuff has to much carb for me), I used a mixtuer of 2T. cream, 1t. apple cider vinegar, and filled the rest of the 1/4 c. with water. They turned out fine, I think. Are they suppose to look like pancakes?

Froggiebro
Fri, Jun-22-07, 13:19
I just use soy flour in place of atkins bake mix, which you can't find around here anymore

JAnn
Mon, Sep-10-07, 13:50
I made these using a homemade baking mix and added an extra egg. They are fantiastic. I made them a little larger and used them for pizza. Loved it, so did DH!:thup:

preck1378
Sun, Aug-31-08, 18:22
Just wanted to post so I could subscribe to this thread.

ndelacourt
Mon, Sep-08-08, 18:52
I am baking them right now in a large muffin pan....don't have a waffle iron.....I used 1/4 c almond flour and a 1/4 c whey protein isolate for the bake mix.....they are sweet as the only whey protein powder I had on hand is the vanilla flavor one.....so I will pick up some unflavoured one for savory buns......

I tried baking some on the george forman grill (leveled straight)...they are ok......kind of flat........so I will look for a waffle iron I think.

Otherwise they are A+++

AZDweller
Sat, Jan-02-10, 00:14
I have no idea how long Atkins mix will keep, but still having some, I'm going to make some tomorrow. I've found they make a tasty waffle deleting those spices and adding cinnamon and nutmeg and a couple of packets of Splenda. My guys are OK with them for breakfast.

Sat, Feb-05-11, 00:05
This is a really great recipe.

Bump :p

MelTice
Mon, Mar-07-11, 18:27
Wonder if I cld use flax or psyllium husks in place of Atkins bake mix?