Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 10:20

Plan: My Own
Stats: 333/215/160 Female 64cm
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Why so much water ? - here's why ...

I found the following article on a medical site I think - once i read it it hellped me to get down the H20 more readily. I don't enjoy it but I drink it.

Thought it might help others too - It's a bit long but worth a read!

"Water -- It can help you lose fat!"

We get LOTS of letter asking why we're constantly preaching the importance of drinking lots of REAL water (not sodas, juices, coffee, etc). We want to stress how strongly we feel about this. If you're "stuck" and haven't been losing, not drinking enough water daily is one of the top 5 culprits.

Drinking enough water is the easiest thing you can do to lose
excess fat.

Drinking water is not just to make your mouth feel less dry. In fact, if you wait until you're thirsty, your body is already dehydrated because your salivary glands are the last resort for getting hydration to your cells. Water is what causes your body to function efficiently.

One of the first signs that you aren't getting enough water is fatigue. Sometimes we satisfy the need for a burst of energy with coffee, which is the opposite of what you need. Coffee is a diuretic, which actually dehydrates you further, nurturing a self-destructive cycle.

You'll see that drinking water spaced evenly throughout the day also suppresses your appetite -- sometimes even to a greater degree than the natural effects of low carbing!

Your hunger for water can be the cause of your cravings, rather than the need for extra food. Thirst signals are often confused with hunger signals. If you aren't used to drinking much water, this could be more of a problem to you than for people who are familiar with the feeling of being thirsty. People who don't drink water get a small amount from the food they eat, which is not nearly enough.

For them, hunger and thirst feels like the same thing - so along with the tiny bit of water absorbed from food, they also get the unnecessary calories, and often carbs which are eaten when cravings take hold -- and which are definitely stored as extra fat.

A sure sign that you're dehydrated is the color of your urine. If you're drinking enough water, it should be very light yellow to nearly completely clear in color. Medium yellowish to nearly orange in color merits a trip to the water fountain. (Any other colors merit a trip to the doctor.)

Water helps your liver convert fat into usable energy. If you don't drink enough water, your kidneys are overwhelmed with concentrated fluids, and they make your liver do extra work. Your liver works hard to turn your body fat into energy you use, and if it has to do the kidney's work, then you hold onto the extra fat that would have been burned if you'd simply had enough water. And what's worse is that instead of excreting water and waste products, you reabsorb used water to reuse again. This is what causes water retention and bloating.

When you don't get enough water, your body panics and holds on to it selfishly, as though you're in a famine. The best way to get rid of this water retention is to drink enough of it. You'll also feel thirsty more often, and this will start a healthy cycle of thirst leading to hydration. But you have to keep it up because if you stop drinking enough water, all the good things you've gained from drinking water (balanced body fluids, weight loss, decreased hunger and thirst) will reverse back to the way they were.

You need at *least* 8 cups of water a day, but we strongly recommend 10-12. If you exercise or live in a dry climate, add 2 more cups, and if you're more than 25% overweight, drink 1 to 2 extra cups. Overweight people have higher metabolic requirements, more waste products to flush out, and it helps keep extra skin from sagging after the fat is gone.

Here's a good water drinking schedule that will help you remember to drink until you don't have to think about it anymore:

Get a 32 oz. plastic cup at a drug store to drink from. One big cup
seems easier than lots of little ones.

Sip one big cupful in the morning as you're getting dressed.

Have one cupful during the late morning/early afternoon.

Drink one cupful gradually in the late afternoon/early evening - the earlier you finish this one the better so you won't have to get up during the night.

Drink and LOSE!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 10:33

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Thanks, Wendye -- I need all the reasons and reminders there are to drink my water. I'm very bad about it, but getting better.

Do you happen to remember where you saw this article?

Thanks ...
Rhu
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 10:37

Plan: Eat Food
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Thanks!

I'll drink to that!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 10:46

BF:
Default source

Hey Rhu, G'day,

I had forgotten where I got it - I'd cut and pasted it into "word" as I thought it was worth the read. So I did a web search of the title for you and then remembered where I got it.

It was another LowCarb site - The Low Carb Luxury Newsletter:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/newsle...vol02-no15.html

It's worth a look.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 21:01

Plan: bfl
Stats: 180/185/150
BF:
Progress: -17%

now that article makes sense...I am gonna go refill my water jug lol
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 21:06

BF:
Default yep

It sure inspires me to drink as much as possible - without feeling ike I'm 'sloshing' around the place.

happy drinking!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 00:31
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 189/160/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Thanks for the reminder!

The last couple of days, I've just been filling up on other drinks and your post helped me to get into focus again! As a matter of fact, I think I'll go get a glass of water!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 02:50

BF:
Default Yep!

GooD onya - me too!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 06:43
Registered Member

Plan: protein power - modified by self
Stats: 218.5/218.5/137.5 Female 66 inches
BF:41.1
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Cheers

Excellent article Wendye!! Thanks!

*bottoms UP!*

nill
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 18:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/217/190 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 40%

Wendy,
Terrific information!! Great for everyone even those who aren't dieting. I am definately going to pass this on to my family.
Thanks
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 20:04

BF:
Default Yep

I think it's graet too - pass the word around - I think every9one should read this one.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 20:49

BF:
Default More intersting info

I found some more statistics and info on drinking water - read it an weep - or drink more!!!

Drink Water!
--------------
* 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
* In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.
* Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.
* One glass of water shuts down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a US-Washington study.
* Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
* Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
* A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen (!!!!) or on a printed page.
* Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Amazing but true!!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 22:46

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Urine color

One comment on urine color: If you take vitamin C or multi-vitamin with C in the morning, the next few times you pee, your urine is going to be bright yellow no matter how much water you drink.

I do drink water until I slosh. And after the first couple times, my urine is light yellow to colorless. But I take a strong multi-vitamin in the morning and it shows.

;-Deb
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 20:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/179/150
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default I needed that!

Just wanted to say Thanks on the article about water.
I always have trouble drinking enough water. It's like
other things once you get use to it, you dont think about it.
Oh but when you quit you have to remind yourself and
go back to the water cause you know it helps.........

Hey I like your sense of humor ...........(wendye)
YOU ARE SO FUNNY!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 12:00

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

I'm off to drink some water now. Luckily I don't have much trouble drinking it, but its always good to drink more