Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 18:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 279/175.9/176 Male 180cm
BF:39.6%/22%/18%
Progress: 100%
Default No Comments Yet

Hi,
I have been on Atkins Induction for 4 weeks and have lost about 20 pounds but nobody has noticed my weight lose.
Is it usual for us larger people not to receive comments in the beginning? Does it take longer for changes to appear?
Thanks.
Simon.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 04:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Simon I big WOOO HOOOO for you!!!!! congrats on your weight loss!!!!! If everyone is like me, we don't notice it the little writing from your profile, we wait until you post it in big letters then everyone will be sure to congratulate you on you success'.

Good job!!!!! keep up the good work, 11 lbs down never to return.

In the future, post it big to let everyone know and they in turn will give you lots of encouragement

Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 05:11
Registered Member

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for your reply.
I'm sure I will get lots of encouragement from the members of this forum BUT what I was also hoping for was comments from my family and friends. But I haven't received any yet.
Simon.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 05:13
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

Simon, Congratulations on kissing 20 pounds goodbye! A couple years ago, I weighed over 200 pounds and went on a diet and lost quite a bit of weight and NOBODY noticed until I had lost about 35 pounds. Then suddenly out of the blue it seemed like everybody started noticing.

I think it has something to do with what we're wearing. Clothes that are too baggy make us look just as fat as clothes that are too tight. Most of us continue to wear our fat clothes until we just can't wear them any longer.

I had to remind myself that nobody said a word to me about gaining weight when I was piling it on.

Keep doing what you're doing and eventually folks will start noticing. In the meantime, keep remembering that you are doing this for YOU and try not to worry about whether other folks notice or not.
asugar
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 17:13

Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Simon, I'm sorry I misunderstood. I had 106 pounds to lose, now only 85. I am also experiencing the same as you. My sister is doing the WOE with me so she notices, but my other siblings do not really have weight issues and don't notice.

At thanksgiving i was down 21 lbs and none of them noticed, I had to tell them and i'm not sure they beleived me because i kept hearing REALLY?

Hey, just wait until I drop more weight. Anyways I'm not doing this for them I am doing it for me and only me.

Give it time, I'm sure the blind family and friends will start to notice within the next 5-10 lbs.

Good luck and continued success!!!!!

Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 17:19

Plan: MEAT AND LOTS OF GREEN VE
Stats: 292.7/280/180 Female 68 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 11%

SIMON,

You're doing great...I know what you mean...I've lost almost thirty pounds since Oct 1st and even I don't see it yet...yes in my clothes, but I want other people to see it too!
It will happen...for both of us!

Have a good evening,

GAP
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 18:54
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I've probably lost around 50 pounds (not sure of my exact starting weight) and people other than my husband and a few very observant friends are just starting to notice. All of a sudden I am getting lots of comments, but I didn't get any for months. I think that those of us at very high weights just look fat to other people and they don't distinguish between fat and slightly less fat. I also think the fact that I've bought some new clothes that actually fit (as opposed to be baggy) has made a big difference.

A funny story: I walked into the office of one of my co-workers yesterday and he said, "You look different. Have you changed your hair?" I said, "No, guess again." He stared at me for a minute and said, "You've lost weight, haven't you?"
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 20:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

57 lbs down and people who haven't seen me for months are beginning to notice, but only rarely.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 21:15

Stats: 222/207/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Congratulations on your lose, keep up the good work. I lost 30 lbs. last year and everyone noticed around 25 lbs. Strange thing was all of a sudden I was the center of attention and that made me very uncomfortable. At first I would get into a discussion about what I was doing and how I did it and then got to the point I would just say thank you. I never imagined that what I thought I wanted most would wear thin so fast. Went off my eating plan and gained back 20 of the pounds. Somewhere, some one would say I could not handle the attention and sabotaged myself. Who's to say, I did put the weight back on.

This time back I've lost 12lbs and now on day 10. No one has noticed yet but I'm more comfortable about that and I'm preparing myself for the comments when they come because this time I'm doing it for myself, my health and my family, they need me around. A simple thank you and change the subject. I think what I started feeling was not so much that I was being congratulated for my hard work and lose but people were commenting on how HUGE I looked before.

I guess what I want is to be looked at like everyone else, not a former fatty. It wasn't until I read your comment that I started thinking about this. I love that this site not only give you so much support but occasionally a comment triggers a deep thought.

Keep up the good work. I never noticed how much weight you lost yet because you've always looked good to me.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 09:04

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

Congrats, Simon!!!

Nobody really noticed my weightloss until I had lost around 35-40#. My BIL (whom I don't see too often) commented that my face looked different. I think for us larger people, the face would be the first thing to notice.

Funny note: my DH had never said anything to me about how I was losing weight, even though I gave him running totals weekly. Anyway, one morning (when I had lost around 50#), my hubby reached over in the bed and cupped my rear end. almost immediately he said, "Hey, you've lost weight"!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 11:19

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post So common...

Simon, don't let it get you down...

...people will notice eventually, but don't be surprised if they comment on how "nice" you look or that you look "good".

I'm down 100lbs as of today, and when I tell people many of them just look at me and say "Really?". I makes me mad and I want to haul out the old clothes so they can see just what I mean, but I don't.

On the other hand, many people have commented, especially those who I don't see often. The folks I see every day don't notice as much because the loss is gradual.

You just stick to the plan that's working for you and be prideful of your accomplishments. The comments from others will follow...

Donald
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 09:32

Plan: Modified Low carb
Stats: 305/270/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Congrats Simon,

20 lbs closer to your goal. Like everyone has said.. people who see you often wont be as apt to notice the gradual change fo the early pounds. If you need encouragement like that may I suggest taking a picture of yourself every 2 weeks or so and put it right next to a photo of yourself from when you started. its much easier to notice the gradual change that way. I've lost 30lbs so far since starting LC and not many folks notice but putting a picture of my old self with my new self side by side and I've been told that I look like I shrunk in the dryer.

Congrats again.

CJ
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 17:19
Registered Member

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies and encouragement.
Last week I showed everyone the picture below and they are now starting to take me seriously.
Simon.

#14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 17:27

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Simon, your pictures are TRULY amazing! What a change! You aren't even gonna recognize yourself when you get to your goal weight. Keep up the fantastic work. I've lost 37 pounds and I am getting a lot of compliments on my hair!
Cindi
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 10:15

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Simon,

Good job! Doesn't it feel great!!

BrewWa