Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 17:09

Plan: adkins
Stats: 219/208/185
BF:
Progress: 32%
Question Trouble with Adkins

Hey folks! From the few minutes I've been browsing posts I can tell this is a really good forum. Maybe someone can point me to a thread or suggest something to help me.

This is the third try with Adkins.

Try 1: Two week induction diet. Lost 10 pounds in the first week, then nothing during the second week. Gave up. Logged onto Adkins web site and found out that aspartame can be a blocker, which I consumed more of than h2o!

Try 2: Two week induction diet. Same results as the first try. Gave up. This time I investigated the Adkins site and found that caffeine stimulated insulin production. I had been consuming 10-15 mugs daily.

This time I am drinking only water. I haven't had more than a cup of coffee in any given day for a year. So I thought I would do better but guess what?

Same thing. I lost 9 pounds in the first 6 days and only 1 pound over the subsequent 10 days. Ouch!

I only eat eggs, beef, fish, chicken, and some cheese. I do have a couple of jalapeno or serrano peppers with my evening steak...or just to munch on...but never more than 4 in a given day. I figure I'm picking up at most 2 carbs daily from the peppers. The only time I have cheated was when I had a dozen oysters on the half-shell with lemon juice and tabasco sauce. And I have had one shot of tequila. Thats it.

That's a long intro, eh? I guess you can tell I'm very frustrated. I'm committed this time to figure what is going on.

If anyone knows of a thread to address this issue please point me to it!

If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears!

TIA,
Don
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 17:24

BF:
Default Body stats

By the way,

I am 40 years old, weighed 219 at the beginning, and really want to get to 185.

I don't take any meds, but I am taking a multi-vitamin. I suppose I eat about 2 pounds of food per day.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 17:28

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default Welcome dasmith125!

I think you've found the place you need to be!

Atkins is more than just eating fish, meat and poultry.

Check out the links in the top orange bar....and the Quick Links to the right....and these links: http://atkinscenter.com/howto/index.html and http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Index.html

Atkins center has a complete explaination of how to "do" Atkins....and Fitday is a site where you can list all the food you've eaten and find out how many carbs, protein and fat you've eaten.

One thing with Atkins is you MUST have fat in your diet.....Dr A advises against trying to do atkins low-fat.

There are a lot of reasons for a "stall"...not eating enough can be one reason....read thru some of the posts for ideas and inspiration!

The main thing is stick with it! Don't give up when you hit a stall!

I've only been on it for 10 days, lost 7# the first week....and now I'm struggling to get enough food in me to prevent a stall.

There's a lot of support on here....read and respond to as many posts as you want.

Two things to remember....there are more low-carb plans out there than just Atkins (maybe you should check out the others and see if another one might be better for you!) Low Carbing (LCing) should be a lifestyle change, not just a diet. Even if you don't loose pounds you should continue to loose inches.....or at the very least feel better!

Good luck and keep trying!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 22:34

BF:
Default ~CindySue

Thank you for the links and your kind attention.

The "Not eating enough" reason for stalling is counter-intuitive to me. I'll make sure and check it out.

As far as feeling good, I'd be willing to feel a lot worse if I could just get down to my target weight ()

Is stalling a regular occurance or is it just a one-time event where your body is saying, "What's up?"

Good night!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 22:37

BF:
Default ~CindySue

BTW,

What's the third college in the Triangle? I think Duke and the University of North Carolina are two, right? I always forget; must be the age!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 23:08

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default 3rd College?

I guess you mean NC State in Raleigh?

Actually there are a bunch of schools in the triangle.....but I guess those are the best known! And there's a hell of a rivalry between them!

Cindy
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-02, 14:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/248/150
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default just a question

Would oysters w/lemon and tabasco take your off Atkins? Methinks not. Well, if you ate one heckuva lot of lemon, I means LOTS AND LOTS, maybe. Tabasco is perfectly 'legal' on Atkins.

Has anyone suggested fitday.com to you? Check it out. You can input exactly what you have eaten and it breaks it down into fats, protein, carbs. could be you have some hidden carbs in there somewhere.

It must be discouraging to feel that you have made such small progress. almost anything I can think of to courage you sounds trivial. Progress not perfection? You aren't a failure as long as you keep trying?

Hang in there. And read around the forums. There is a lot of knowledge and wisdom here.