Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-24-15, 05:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default 6 common LC side effects and how to cure them

Dr Andreas Eenfledt has added another good summary post for newbies. If you have the "induction flu"/headache, constipation, leg cramps, bad breath, heart palpitations or reduce physical performance...Read these tips:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/the-6-mos...ow-to-cure-them
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-24-15, 07:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Over and over and over, YOU NEED TO ADD MORE SALT THAN YOU THINK! LIBERALLY SALTING YOUR FOOD IS NOT ENOUGH.

Here is a whole thread for this disscussion.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=8626497
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-24-15, 07:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The ONLY one salt didn't cure was bad breath!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-24-15, 08:27

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Dr. Eenfeldt has a lot of good stuff on his site. And I remember him "way back when". I first met him on the 2010 low carb cruise, a very tall skinny beanpole of a fellow. He gave a great talk on the cruise and said it was the first time he had given a presentation in English! He also went home and started a blog, and posted about how many fat people there were on the cruise.

Of course I was one of those "fat people" myself, down about 100 pounds from my top weight but still seriously obese. And five years later I still am! Ever since the mid 80's I've been working on losing weight but my body's set point seems permanently stuck in the 270-280 range. I reach that point and then just stay there for years on end.

At least this time I'm working on at least staying here and not going all the way back up and then some as i did the previous 3-4 times I reached this weight level. And I still live in hope.

And I totally agree that more salt and hydration is critical. Lately I've been using Salt Balance because it provides both sodium and potassium in the proper ratio.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-24-15, 08:28

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Salt combined with an adequate amount of magnesium supplementation works for me. I consume at least 5mg of salt per day and sometimes more. I also consume about 600mg of magnesium supplements per day and usually take one 200mg tablet of magnesium citrate in the morning and then 4 100mg high absorption chelated magnesium tablets (2 in the afternoon and 2 more in the evening) over the course of the day. If I'm going for a hard workout, I'll add some Natural Calm magnesium to iced tea or water about an hour prior to the workout. This protocol has completely eliminated muscle cramping and contributes to regularity. Salt is extremely important for those on LCHF or in ketosis! Don't overlook it, and consider magnesium supplementation as the general population tends to be magnesium deficient due to modern farming practices.