Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-15, 15:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Sugary drinks boost risk factors for heart disease,

Just released study from Univ of California:

Summary:
Consumption of sugary drinks increases risk factors for cardiovascular disease in a dose-dependent manner -- the more you drink, the greater the risk. The study is the first to demonstrate such a direct, dose-dependent relationship.

Beverages sweetened with low, medium and high amounts of high-fructose corn syrup significantly increase risk factors for cardiovascular disease, even when consumed for just two weeks by young, healthy men and women, reports a team of researchers at the University of California Davis.
The study is the first to demonstrate a direct, dose-dependent relationship between the amount of added sugar consumed in sweetened beverages and increases in specific risk factors for cardiovascular disease.
The data reinforce evidence from an earlier epidemiological study showing that the risk of death from cardiovascular disease -- the leading cause of death in the United States and around the world -- increases as the amount of added sugar consumed increases.
The results will be published in the June print edition of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
"These findings clearly indicate that humans are acutely sensitive to the harmful effects of excess dietary sugar over a broad range of consumption levels," said Kimber Stanhope, the study's lead author and a research scientist in the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine.
Participants drank varying levels of added sugar:
The 85 participants, including men and women ranging in age from 18 to 40 years, were placed in four different groups. During 15 days of the study, they consumed beverages sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup equivalent to 0 percent, 10 percent, 17.5 percent or 25 percent of their total daily calorie requirements.
The 0-percent control group was given a sugar-free beverage sweetened with aspartame, an artificial sweetener.
At the beginning and end of the study, researchers used hourly blood draws to monitor the changes in the levels of lipoproteins, triglycerides and uric acid -- all known to be indicators of cardiovascular disease risk.
These risk factors increased as the dose of high-fructose corn syrup increased. Even the participants who consumed the 10-percent dose exhibited increased circulating concentrations of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglyceride compared with their concentrations at the beginning of the study.
Increased risk greater in men than women:
The researchers also found that most of the increases in lipid/lipoprotein risk factors for cardiovascular disease were greater in men than in women and were independent of body weight gain.
Stanhope noted that the study findings underscore the need to extend the research using carefully controlled dietary intervention studies, aimed at determining what would be prudent levels for added sugar consumption.
Story Source:
The above story is based on materials provided by University of California - Davis. Note: Materials may be edited for content and length.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Apr-22-15 at 15:31.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-15, 16:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Soda is of the devil.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-15, 19:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

I thought this was Lustig's main point.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 04:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
I thought this was Lustig's main point.

Yes, I was condensing

But also Taubes, in both his books, makes the point that liquid sugar is the bullet train to weight gain.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 10:56

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Another key point is that fructose was promoted as a healthier sugar in the 1990's since "it comes from fruit" and does not cause huge BG spikes. So the corn lobby promoted HFCS, which is now in nearly every processed food, not just softdrinks. But the problem is that it causes huge INSULIN spikes and insulin resistance, so it is insidiously unhealthy.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 10:56
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

When they look at fruit juice planned for testing next I expect similar results.

I think they should also test the effects of "skim milk" on health markers.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 06:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
When they look at fruit juice planned for testing next I expect similar results.

I think they should also test the effects of "skim milk" on health markers.

Both of those are diabolical concoctions in my body. Orange juice, especially, triggered the urge to drink another gallon of it because it created a craving that could not be quenched.

Now, when my husband juices an orange for me when I'm sick, with lots of pulp, it doesn't have that effect. Of course, I'm drinking much less juice, it's not been messed with, and I seem to get along with fruit, much more so that other sources of dietary carbs.

But it makes me wonder what they put in that carton.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 06:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Yes, I was condensing

I should have quoted the article for clarity.

Quote:
The study is the first to demonstrate a direct, dose-dependent relationship

The first? I don't think so. Lustig has made this point time and time again, that obesity and it's related ills are directly correlated with the timing and dosage of sugar in the diet.