Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-13, 17:13

Plan: WW's/ Atkins/George S.
Stats: 317.6/260.4/186 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Diverticulitis

I was on Atkins all of 2012 and until April of 2013. I fell off and went carb crazy for awhile. Tried Weight Watchers and hated that.
I had a bout of Diverticulitis in June of this year. I do not ever want this again but find off of Atkins all I did was crave carbs and over eat. I am nervous but just restarted Atkins today. I am gradually easing back in and had about 30 carbs today along with Fiber Chews.
Anyone have any tips for me? I will be researching which of the vegetables have the highest fiber.
Thank you,
Gloria
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-13, 19:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It sounds like going "carb crazy" led to your illness? Because there's nothing like grains to turn to glue in your intestines.

This man took a lifetime of research and turned it into books and a website. He has a different approach:

http://www.fibermenace.com/gutsense/diverticular.html

Last edited by WereBear : Wed, Jul-17-13 at 14:41.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-13, 21:10

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

And here's another more mainstream source that comes to the same conclusion that fiber does not prevent diverticulitis/diverticulosis. In fact in the study cited, those who had the least fiber had 30% LESS diverticular disease:

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-diso...ticular-disease

Quote:
Jan. 23, 2012 -- A new study challenges the long-held belief that a high-fiber diet prevents the formation of small pouches in the colon wall that can lead to diverticular disease.

For decades, doctors have recommended high-fiber diets to patients at risk for developing the intestinal pouches, known as diverticula.

The thinking has been that by keeping patients regular, a high-fiber diet can keep diverticula from forming. But the new study suggests the opposite may be true.

Fiber Eaters Had More Pouches

People in the study who ate the least fiber were less likely to develop the pouches than people who ate the most.

Another surprise: Constipation was not associated with a higher risk of having diverticulosis, which had also been a long-held theory behind the disease. Diverticulosis is a condition in which multiple pouches form in the wall of the large intestine.

“Our study makes it clear that we don’t really understand why diverticula form,” says researcher Anne F. Peery, MD, a fellow in gastroenterology at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine at Chapel Hill.

“There are a lot of good reasons to eat a high-fiber diet, and this study doesn’t change that,” she says. “But it may not protect people from developing diverticula.”

Pouches May Lead to Diverticulitis, Other Complications

About half of Americans will have diverticula by the age of 60, and two-thirds will develop the pouches on the walls of their large intestine by age 85, according to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK).

Many experience no symptoms, but 10% to 25% develop diverticulitis -- a potentially serious condition that occurs when the pouches become inflamed.

Diverticula can also lead to other potentially life-threatening complications, including infection and bleeding. According to one report, diverticular disease caused more than 300,000 hospitalizations and nearly 3,400 deaths in the United States in 2004 alone.

Although a low-fiber diet has long been implicated in the formation of diverticula, there is almost no scientific evidence to back up the association, Peery says.

This is also true for other suggested risk factors for diverticular disease, including eating a high-fat diet or a diet high in red meat, being physically inactive, and having frequent constipation.

In an effort to better understand the impact of these suspected risk factors on the formation of diverticula, Peery and colleagues from the University of North Carolina and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx recruited more than 2,100 adults between the ages of 30 and 80 for their study.

Fiber, Constipation, Red Meat Off the Hook?

All the participants had colonoscopies to confirm or rule out the presence of diverticula, and all were interviewed regarding their diets, bowel habits, and activity level.

Among the surprising findings:

People with the lowest fiber intake were 30% less likely to develop diverticula than people whose diets included the most fiber.
Constipation was not associated with an increase in risk. In fact, people who had more than 15 bowel movements a week were 70% more likely to develop the pouches than those who had fewer than seven a week.
Neither lack of exercise nor eating a diet high in fat or red meat appeared to increase the risk for diverticula.
The study appears in the February issue of the journal Gastroenterology.

Last edited by Liz53 : Tue, Jul-16-13 at 21:23.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-13, 21:47
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloquilts
I was on Atkins all of 2012 and until April of 2013. I fell off and went carb crazy for awhile. Tried Weight Watchers and hated that.
I had a bout of Diverticulitis in June of this year. I do not ever want this again but find off of Atkins all I did was crave carbs and over eat. I am nervous but just restarted Atkins today. I am gradually easing back in and had about 30 carbs today along with Fiber Chews.
Anyone have any tips for me? I will be researching which of the vegetables have the highest fiber.
Thank you,
Gloria

Hi Gloria, I also have a problem with diverticulitis. I am actually waiting to have surgery later on in the year to solve my problem once and for all.

I totally agree with Werebear and Liz that fibre is something to be avoided. These days, as soon as I have more than 2 or 3 grams of fibre a day - bam! I am hit with another episode of diverticulitis.

So my advice is to keep researching - but for the lowest fibre vegetables, and stop taking any fibre supplements at once. Fibre can and will only make your condition worse.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-13, 05:24

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Just found this in Wikipedia:
"The development of colonic diverticulum is thought to be a result of raised intraluminal colonic pressures. The sigmoid colon (Section 4) has the smallest diameter of any portion of the colon, and therefore the portion which would be expected to have the highest intraluminal pressure. The claim that a lack of dietary fiber, particularly non-soluble fiber (also known in older parlance as "roughage") predisposes individuals to diverticular disease was long accepted within the medical literature.[1][2] However, the first study to specifically test the theory has found that "A high-fiber diet and increased frequency of bowel movements are associated with greater, rather than lower, prevalence of diverticulosis."[3]"
Hope you feel better soon and welcome back!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-13, 05:28

BF:

Amazing information! Totally opposite of what I was trying to do! Looks like coming back to low carb was my smartest move! I will stop the fiber too.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-13, 13:56

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Have you tried going gluten free? Diverticulitis is a symptom of gluten intolerance. A low carb diet is low in gluten, but not gluten free. You need to watch out for low carb bake mix, low carb processed food, wheat bran crackers, soy sauce, malt vinegar, more. Gluten hides in lots of places.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-13, 04:33

BF:

Hi Allison,

No, I had never had any GI problems ever it came out of the blue!
My neice has a problem with gluten. I will see if my new plan keeps me free of a return of that....it was so painful I never want it again! I will do my best to keep out Gluten excellent thought thank you!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-13, 04:36

BF:

Hi Allison,
No, I have never tried to avoid gluten ...not sure what it is but see products saying they are gluten free. My neice has this problem so it could be possible. Since I am back on Low Carb soon to be Atkins I will be sure I don't eat gluten too! I never want that pain again!! Thanks!!
Gloria
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-13, 04:48

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I have diverticulosis, too, and have had a couple of bouts with diverticulitis. I had been constipated for years and only some form of laxative gave me results...until I started eating vegetarian (or, mostly vegetarian)

I no longer have constipation or have to use laxatives, and haven't had another bout of diverticulitis. I eat corn (I can hear all the lowcarbers dropping to the floor) in the form of chips or on the cob, and I think that is key. Wheat is a rarity as is rice. Lots of vegetables and nuts, berries a couple of times a week. Dairy. And if I don't have chips or corn for a few days, my gut slows down some...so I know what to do...time for tacos lol

Hope you find what works for you. I have given up on losing weight for now and am enjoying a functional, pain-free tummy.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-13, 07:45

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:

Aaaaaaaaaaaah! Gloquilts, I'm glad you started this thread, but I'm so confused now.

I had a colonoscopy 6 days ago and the doctor found many diverticula pouches. He said not to worry about it but eat more fiber. So I've made sure to eat even more green veg than usual, a little more fruit, and flax bread a couple of times this week. And I don't feel well! I'm sitting here at my desk so bloated I had to unbutton my pants. What's more, this colonoscopy was after 2 years of eating grain-free with lots of veggies. But 5 years ago I had a colonoscopy with a "perfect" result after a lifetime of stuffing myself with as much grain as I could fit in my mouth and almost never eating a vegetable! I'm at a loss to know what to eat anymore.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-13, 08:30
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
Aaaaaaaaaaaah! Gloquilts, I'm glad you started this thread, but I'm so confused now.

I had a colonoscopy 6 days ago and the doctor found many diverticula pouches. He said not to worry about it but eat more fiber. So I've made sure to eat even more green veg than usual, a little more fruit, and flax bread a couple of times this week. And I don't feel well! I'm sitting here at my desk so bloated I had to unbutton my pants. What's more, this colonoscopy was after 2 years of eating grain-free with lots of veggies. But 5 years ago I had a colonoscopy with a "perfect" result after a lifetime of stuffing myself with as much grain as I could fit in my mouth and almost never eating a vegetable! I'm at a loss to know what to eat anymore.

I don't have diverticulitis, but I do have ibs and suspected crohn's, and I'm a complete convert to going very low fibre - it has made a big difference to my gi issues. I'm beginning to believe that maybe fibre isn't all it's cracked up to be.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-13, 08:54

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Anecdotally, my husband has a very regular (over-regular, I'd say) system, where he uses the bathroom 3-4 times a day. I'm more like 3-4 times a week. Who has diverticula? He does, I don't. It all sounds so counter-intutitive to what we've been hearing for the last 40 years.

When you consider fiber, put it in perspective. The fiber theory only came into being in 1971 to explain why some tribes in Africa had less disease of the digestive system than westerners. Dr Dennis Burkitt put out 2 theories, one of which was fiber in the diet, the second of which was position while defecating (sitting or squatting). The former theory won out because it was less icky to talk about, and didn't require us to all remodel bathrooms.

Here's an article that explores that side of the issue:
http://www.toilet-related-ailments....is-burkitt.html
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-13, 10:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
AWhat's more, this colonoscopy was after 2 years of eating grain-free with lots of veggies. But 5 years ago I had a colonoscopy with a "perfect" result after a lifetime of stuffing myself with as much grain as I could fit in my mouth and almost never eating a vegetable! I'm at a loss to know what to eat anymore.

At the link above, the author explains that we can weaken the colon with bad habits, yet it will not show up for a long time... as we age, another stressor, etc. Perhaps that is what happened to you?

As the other posters pointed out, the touted benefits of fiber were theoretical only... and so many poor souls have suffered as a result. What the heck happened to the Scientific Method?

By following the advice on gutsense.org, I have been enjoying excellent results. He is a forensic writer, and has exhaustively researched the issue while curing his own gut troubles. Good healthy fats, probiotics, and LOW fiber has gotten the exact results he predicted.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-13, 11:42

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:

I'm working my way through gutsense.org. There's an awful lot to read. I'll definitely quit the flax bread and the extra veg/fruit immediately and see what happens.

I got a little bit put off to discover he has products to sell. Yeah, I know there's nothing wrong with making a living, it just seems everyone has something to sell these days and so many seem to say anything to sell their product.

I was about to run out at lunchtime and get some yogurt for it's intestinal flora benefits, when I read what he had to say about Activia: the bacteria are useless because they're already dead before you eat it, and even if they're not your stomach acid and enzymes will kill them on contact anyway. Apparently it's INULIN in Activia that acts like a laxative - and that's a bad thing too.

So, does that apply to Fage greek yogurt also, do you think? Are the probiotics in all yogurts just hype?

Werebear, since you've had excellent results, do you take his Colorectal Recovery Program product?