Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-12, 11:19

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Diabetes Study Ends Early With a Surprising Result

The results may well have been positive if the diet used had been a low carb one. While the type of diet used is not mentioned in the article, I have no doubt that it was a low-fat, high grain diet.

Quote:
A large federal study of whether diet and weight loss can prevent heart attacks and strokes in overweight and obese people with Tpe 2 diabetes has ended two years ahead of schedule because the intensive program did not help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-12, 11:26

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Same story from the Washington Post says:

Quote:
Half of the people were randomly assigned to get intensive dietary counseling on how to limit their calories. They were provided meal substitutes such as Slimfast drink.

Yikes. Lower calories and Slimfast!

Quote:
In the first year, the people with the intensive counseling lost 8 percent of their weight. They gained some back, but over the decade of the study maintained an average 5 percent reduction from their starting weight — about 10 pounds.

So they went from 200 to 190 by cutting calories a little and drinking some Slimfast? And this is a legitimate study? It sounds more like a monumental waste of time and money.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...b829_story.html

(Edited to fix link.)

Last edited by HappyLC : Sat, Oct-20-12 at 13:05.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-12, 12:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

What a horrible study!

For the participants, especially. Gee, creating a source of stress didn't drop heart attack incidence.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-12, 13:30

Plan: LowCarb/Metformin/IF
Stats: 230/190/130 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 40%

#5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-12, 14:32

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
The study randomly assigned 5,145 overweight or obese people with Type 2 diabetes to either a rigorous diet and exercise regimen or to sessions in which they got general health information. The diet involved 1,200 to 1,500 calories a day for those weighing less than 250 pounds and 1,500 to 1,800 calories a day for those weighing more. The exercise program was at least 175 minutes a week of moderate exercise.

But 11 years after the study began, researchers concluded it was futile to continue — the two groups had nearly identical rates of heart attacks, strokes and cardiovascular deaths.
The study participants assigned to the intensive exercise and diet program did lose about 5 percent of their weight and managed to keep it off during the study. That was enough to reduce cardiovascular risk factors.

Doesn't it seem unlikely that they stuck to these diet/exercise regimens for 11 years? And only lost 5% of their weight?

If that were true, it would seem to negate any diet/exercise/weight loss argument.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-12, 15:47

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

OMG! I just noticed this -

Quote:
It cost about $20 million a year, or about $220 million over its 11-year-life.

$220,000,000.00. To tell a bunch of people to eat a little less and drink some Slimfast. Then apparently forget about them for 11 years (how else to explain this??). Then call off the study.

Your tax dollars at work.

And the worst part of this is when I first heard of this study this morning on television, the reporter said something along the lines of "a new study shows diet and exercise are no help in preventing heart attack and stroke in people with type 2 diabetes."
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-12, 16:08

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260

Peter at Hyperlipid has a posted about this:

Link

And one of the comments says

Quote:
"...The composition of the diet is structured to enhance glycemic control and to minimize cardiovascular risk factors. The recommended diet is based on guidelines of the ADA and National Cholesterol Education program and includes a maximum of 30% of total calories from total fat, a maximum of 10% of total calories from saturated fat, and a minimum of 15% of total calories from protein."

Dear God, they put these poor people on a high carb diet. Some nutritional "experts" should be shot.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-12, 16:23

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
The study participants assigned to the intensive exercise and diet program did lose about 5 percent of their weight and managed to keep it off during the study. That was enough to reduce cardiovascular risk factors.

Yet:
Quote:
But 11 years after the study began, researchers concluded it was futile to continue — the two groups had nearly identical rates of heart attacks, strokes and cardiovascular deaths.

I'm no expert but even I can see that their working hypothesis is wrong on at least two points. They looked at the wrong risk factors, they used the wrong intervention.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-12, 17:02

Plan: my own
Stats: 224/182/165 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
Doesn't it seem unlikely that they stuck to these diet/exercise regimens for 11 years? And only lost 5% of their weight?

If that were true, it would seem to negate any diet/exercise/weight loss argument.

Shocking. Still I was stupid enough to try calorie restricted low fat dieting for 20 years despite it never working.

I might have quit earlier though if it was costing me $220million.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-12, 17:58

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260

A while back they did a study in which they aggressively lowered blood glucose levels in diabetics with drugs without changing their diets and when their health outcomes didn't improve they concluded that lowering blood glucose levels didn't help diabetics.

Now they've done a study in which diabetics eating lots of carbs (and I'll bet - lots of 'healthy whole grains') saw no improvement in cardiac outcomes and concluded that diet and exercise don't help diabetics either.

Guess if you get diabetes you might as well make out your will and keep on eating donuts and pie. Good grief.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-12, 06:39

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%

Putting diabetics on a weight loss diet whilst increasing carb/sugar intake to 75% of daily calorie intake does not assist in long term control of blood sugar shocker!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-12, 06:57

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

It was the ADA diet, and if there was no weight loss after a set time (read it hours ago and now I forget...4 weeks?) they switched to either Slim-fast or Glucerna to replace some of the calories.

Not sure what the ADA diet is nowadays...more reading for me.

*edit: I went on the ADA site and couldn't find a diet! Everything says to make a plan with your doctor. That's all over the place. My Kaiser doctor told me low carb was a good diet and to stay on it. I'm sure most don't.

Last edited by gonwtwindo : Sun, Oct-21-12 at 07:05.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-12, 07:32

Plan: LowCarb/Metformin/IF
Stats: 230/190/130 Female 63"
BF:

Summary: they stopped the study before it could prove that the Food Pyramid kills.

Quote:
Session 5: Healthy eating
WHAT you eat

Remember the Food Guide Pyramid?

The Food Guide Pyramid is a guide to healthy eating.

Remember that each food group has a range of servings.

You may not be able to meet all of them while reducing your calorie intake.

Healthy Eating
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-12, 07:57

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003
Guess if you get diabetes you might as well make out your will and keep on eating donuts and pie. Good grief.

Exactamundo! Plus, get on those drugs, stat!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-12, 07:58

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

That's funny. I also looked at LookAhead materials that said participants would be following the ADA diet. Maybe its the same as the food pyramid.