Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 04:02

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%
Default No Matter How Much Weight You Lose, Everyone Will Still Think You're Fat

http://m.jezebel.com/5914422/no-mat...think-youre-fat

As if we needed more evidence that anti-fat bias is about moral superiority and not about health, a new study finds that people continue to be negatively affected by fat stigmas even after they have lost weight. Researchers asked participants (young men and women) to read vignettes about a series of women—some who had lost 70 lbs and some who had remained weight-stable. They were then asked to rate the women based on attractiveness and other factors. The results? People hate fat people so much that they can't stop hating fat people even after the fat people became thin people.

Quote:
"We were surprised to find that currently thin women were viewed differently depending on their weight history," said Dr Janet Latner, study lead at the University of Hawaii at Mānoa, US. "Those who had been obese in the past were perceived as less attractive than those who had always been thin, despite having identical height and weight."

Of course. Because you don't really qualify as a thin person; you're just a fat person masquerading as a thin person. You're tainted. All that stuff that supposedly made you fat—laziness and moral turpitude and lack of willpower and that pneumatic Dorito funnel you had installed next to your bed—that's all still in there, waiting to make you fat and gross again! Despite all of society's protestations that fat people are just thin people with temporary gluttony problems, it turns out that they don't really see fat people that way. Fat once, fat for life. Nobody is more committed to the intrinsic permanence of fatness than the smug fat-haters insisting that fat is a choice.

On top of that, study participants reacted even more negatively to the formerly fat women if they were presented with additional information suggesting that weight control is easy. But it is almost certainly not easy, says Kerry O'Brien, one of the study's co-authors:

Quote:
The message we often hear from society is that weight is highly controllable, but the best science in the obesity field at the moment suggests that one's physiology and genetics, as well as the food environment, are the really big players in one's weight status and weight-loss.

Weight status actually appears rather uncontrollable, regardless of one's willpower, knowledge, and dedication. Yet many people who are perceived as 'fat' are struggling in vain to lose weight in order to escape this painful social stigma. We need to rethink our approaches to, and views of, weight and obesity.

So make no mistake, fat people. If you lose weight, do it because you want to, and not because you're chasing that carrot that the fat-shamers love to dangle (it's a marzipan carrot—fat people don't eat vegetables!)—the one that says weight loss will be a magical release from shame and ridicule and your life will suddenly become perfect. They are lying. They are liar people. You might manage to become thin, but jerks will still be jerks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 04:32

Plan: Keto IF
Stats: 275/242.8/192 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 39%

Not a regular 'Jezebel' reader here, but this sounds depressing. I did see something good to take from this.
Quote:
If you lose weight, do it because you want to, and not because you're chasing that carrot
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 05:07

Plan: My Own
Stats: 293/293/180 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

The title of this thread made me laugh. Ah, who cares, what anyone thinks?? I can only live this life for me. I can't make or live my life based solely on the emotions of others. I have to get up, and go about my day-every day, regardless of if stranger's are going to be aroused or repulsed by my body-much less than what they might think of my health history stats. There are so many things you can choose to worry about. Don't let this be one that should put weight on your shoulders! Happiness comes from within, joy bubbles inside you from being with the ones you love. There will always be hateful people, but that is their problem, not yours. You are only responsible about how you feel.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 05:11

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

There's another thread where we are discussing how perpetually thin people find weight control "so easy!" and overweight people must be both lazy and idiots to have not grasped the simple fact that doing nothing works for skinny people, fat people should try it!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 06:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/235/200 Male 75 in
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think that it is true. It is interesting to notice how others view us on the weight loss journey. Some people will never get over their weight hate and some who know and love us never judged us by our weight in the first place. Feeling good about one's self is the most important aspect of weight loss and I know that I am on the right track.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 07:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
There's another thread where we are discussing how perpetually thin people find weight control "so easy!" and overweight people must be both lazy and idiots to have not grasped the simple fact that doing nothing works for skinny people, fat people should try it!

That's rather like tall people finding being tall is easy. I had an argument with a friend who has always been thin about willpower. I told him that the way to look at it is this. I've never smoked, so cigarettes have no power over me, while smokers are tortured by it.

Would it be right of me to lord it over a smoker that I have no trouble at all resisting tobacco?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 07:13
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Actually this really is true. There is such a bias against fat that even HAVING BEEN fat is still very embarrassing. I've seen that, both people's reactions to others once they knew they 'had been', and people's reaction sometimes even in advance to not letting others know they had been (indicating a lot of people recognize this).

I once read a study done where college kids were asked about various things and they pretty much agreed they would rather date someone who did 'hard' drugs or beat up their mates before someone who was 30 pounds too heavy.

PJ
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 10:26

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
Actually this really is true. There is such a bias against fat that even HAVING BEEN fat is still very embarrassing. I've seen that, both people's reactions to others once they knew they 'had been', and people's reaction sometimes even in advance to not letting others know they had been (indicating a lot of people recognize this).
My mother was heavy (though never as heavy as I! But at her top weight she was probably about 225 pounds).

My youngest sister is 6 feet tall and now at age 55 probably weighs about 145 pounds, but in college weighed about 120 pounds. And she once had a boyfriend break up with her after her met our mom! He broke up with her because her MOTHER WAS FAT.

He basically said, "If you want to know what a girl will look like in 20-30 years take a look at her mother. And I don't want to have a fat wife"

But of course the joke was on him as my sister remained at about 125 pounds until she hit 50, but then did gain about 20 when she ran into menopause. But at 6 feet tall 145 pounds is still skinny!

Meanwhile her daughter, my niece, seems to keep getting heavier and heavier. Is some boy going to look at my sister and say, "Gee, your mom is skinny, so I guess in 20-30 years you will be skinny also". It's sort of a no-win situation.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 10:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
that pneumatic Dorito funnel you had installed next to your bed

LOL!
I don't give a flying frig what people think of me and my pneumatic Dorito funnel! I think getting older gives you some perspective. Especially since everyone else is also fat now.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 15:19
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%
Default you think that's bad?

How about: http://www.godlikeproductions.com/f...sage1266014/pg1
Quote:
OBESE PEOPLE ARE RUINING GENE POOL
As a nation, we spend so much resources protecting ourselves from outside threats. But there's a silent killer present within our on citizenry that threatens our freedom and the American way of life.

Obese individuals shouldn't be allowed to procreate. They are tainting the human gene pool with their unhealthy genetics. It's borderline child abuse for an obese man and an obese woman to have a child together. They're guaranteeing the child will develop diabetes, heart disease, morbid obesity, etc.

Obese people also expend more natural resources fueling their fat bodies. Their cars use more gas to haul their additional weight around town. Their clothes require more material than a normal persons' clothing. They make air travel uncomfortable for anyone seated beside them. They also increase the average cost of a plane ticket, since the airline needs to account for the added weight of the passengers' fat reserves.

We've seen evidence of obese people affecting the gene pool already. Every year diabetes among every age group increases dramatically. People are getting fatter and fatter every month. If this trend persists, it's only a matter of time before upwards of 80% of the American populous will be OBESE.

How effective/strong/resilient can our nation be if our population is too fat and lazy to defend itself? What's going to happen to the health care system when 80% of citizens over 40 has some kind of heart disease?

I understand it may seem a little too totalitarian to limit procreation, but it's the only method of sustaining a healthy American gene pool.

A simple method of executing this policy would be to sterilize all newborns born from obese parents.

Who agrees that drastic breeding policies need to be implemented to counteract this silent killer.

Wow, we have a lot of power! Taking down society, destroying the country, and re-writing the laws of genetics. The writer stops short of actually suggesting we be rendered down for our excess oil to be used to power the lights at his favorite gym, but not by much. The responses follow in pretty much the same line . . . it is interesting to be reminded of how much (some) people hate on us. It reminds me to appreciate the decent ones out there. . .
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 15:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/246/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I don't know, maybe that's strangers. When I've lost weight before I got so much positive attention I couldn't handle it. And it went to my head thinking I was skinny now I could eat anything and slowly gained it all back, it wasn't low carb dieting before.

Last weekend I had an eye opener I shared in another thread with some people sharing their hatred for anyone fatter than them. Anyone that didn't serve them well, quick enough or nice enough was labeled fat jerk and heartily laughed at by these genetically selected super skinny people who do next to nothing to be so thin. Thereby thinking all fat people are really bad because they should be just like them, skinny, so the fat people must be doing something really bad and eating nonstop 24/7. Very frustrating.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 17:00

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
doing nothing works for skinny people, fat people should try it!
I love this one.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 22:51

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandra
a new study finds that people continue to be negatively affected by fat stigmas even after they have lost weight.

I don't know about studies....but I do know about my own experiences and this is NOT mine. I'm 8 months into maintenance and I STILL have people that I see regularly compliment me on how great I look and how much weight I've lost. Now they may be waiting for me to fail and gain the weight back, but they don't view me as a "fat person disguised as a thin person." They honestly want to know what I've done to make the change.

One more thing...

Quote:
Weight status actually appears rather uncontrollable, regardless of one's willpower, knowledge, and dedication. Yet many people who are perceived as 'fat' are struggling in vain to lose weight in order to escape this painful social stigma. We need to rethink our approaches to, and views of, weight and obesity.

This is FALSE! Weight status is FAR from uncontrollable. I've been able to control it VERY well with lc. And it has NOTHING to do with "perceived." You're fat or you're not. I DO agree that mainstream needs to rethink the approaches...ditch the grains for goodness sake!

It really upsets me that the trend seems to be that "the powers that be" want to classify obesity as a disease. It's NOT a disease! It's a symptom of bad choices and misinformation!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-12, 01:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
It really upsets me that the trend seems to be that "the powers that be" want to classify obesity as a disease. It's NOT a disease! It's a symptom of bad choices and misinformation!

Yes, they are unable to give good advice; so they try to make the claim that it's impossible anyway.

It's my genetics which makes me "carbohydrate sensitive." But it was health authorities telling me to eat low fat/lotsa grains... which made me fat.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-12, 03:45
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I think there are quite a lot of people who are not able to "easily control weight" with _any_ eating plan. There are a lot of dedicated people in this forum I've watched work hard at food for years, are still fat, and what they lose is very small (and sometimes with the help of drugs). People thinking that eating lowfat or lowcarb or vegan or whatever is the solution of everyone, that's really no different than people who are young males or naturally skinny thinking it's easy for everyone if they're not sloths--bodies differ.

I realize ... it's very exciting when it works but there are a lot of body issues going on that are not about carbohydrates. Most people don't find that out until they lose the carbohydrate-related weight and discover they're still fat and now eating the same way isn't helping (and in many cases, then they feel crappy on VLC, because the carb-related weight is no longer coming off and giving them that energy). Probably more an issue for heavier people...

Quote:
We've seen evidence of obese people affecting the gene pool already. Every year diabetes among every age group increases dramatically. People are getting fatter and fatter every month.

Pretty sure genetics cannot change monthly.

Obesity 'can be' classified a disease if you consider that at least 11% of adult females in the USA (that's over 11 million people) are estimated to suffer from Lipoedema, a genetic-related, officially incurable, "dysfunction of fat regulation" that causes them to not be able to 'lose' weight between the upper pelvis and ankles (and sometimes upper arms), so it begins adding at puberty and since it pretty much never comes off (not by diet, or exercise, or gastric bypass, or anorexia), by the time they're in 20's they're often heavy and by the time in 30's often quite fat and it just gets worse, develops into secondary worse conditions, and contributes to additional-body fat gain and other conditions affected by fat quantity. I personally believe that has to be organ and/or diet related and resolvable somehow but nobody knows how; the official stats are 11% of the female population incurably fat but almost entirely undiagnosed. (I lost 170# on lowcarb. Everywhere but there. Bodyfat on the upper part of the body (torso) seems ridiculously easy to lose.)

Of course they seldom diagnose it in the USA since that would screw up major industries. People might not go under the knife if they knew it wouldn't help the primary source of their weight for example. But, that is an example of an actual disease state officially labeled and based solely on "dysfunctional adipose regulation".

In general though I agree; obesity is only trying to be reclassified as a disease because of the implications that will have. Such as that then you couldn't give diet advice or you'd be practicing medicine. Right now the only way people have to get healthy and stay off/get off pharma drug/control is via the weight loss thing which makes people clean up their act. Take that out of the picture and we are all sick junkies and the mega-corps+government are the pimps.

PJ