Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 05:27

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Goodbye Food Pyramid, Hello Dinner Plate

Quote:
From The New York Times
May 27, 2011

Goodbye Food Pyramid, Hello Dinner Plate

Whatever you do, don’t call it a pie chart.

The Obama administration is about to ditch the food pyramid, that symbol of healthy eating for the last two decades. In its place officials are dishing up a simple, plate-shaped symbol, sliced into wedges for the basic food groups and half-filled with fruits and vegetables.

The circular plate, which will be unveiled Thursday, is meant to give consumers a fast, easily grasped reminder of the basics of a healthy diet. It consists of four colored sections, for fruits, vegetables, grains and protein, according to several people who have been briefed on the change. Beside the plate is a smaller circle for dairy, suggesting a glass of low-fat milk or perhaps a yogurt cup.

Few nutritionists will mourn the passing of the pyramid, which, while instantly recognized by millions of American school kids, parents and consumers, was derided by nutritionists as too confusing and deeply flawed because it did not distinguish clearly between healthy foods like whole grains and fish and less healthy choices like white bread and bacon. A version of the pyramid currently appearing on cereal boxes, frozen dinners and other foods has been so streamlined and stripped of information that many people have no idea what it represents.

“It’s going to be hard not to do better than the current pyramid, which basically conveys no useful information,” said Walter C. Willett, chairman of the nutrition department at the Harvard School of Public Health. Dr. Willett said he had not seen the new logo.

The new symbol was designed to underscore a central mantra of the federal government’s healthy eating push: make half your plate fruits and vegetables. And it is expected to be a crucial element of the administration’s crusade against obesity, which is being led by the first lady, Michelle Obama.

“We need to get consumers’ attention,” said Robert C. Post, deputy director of the Department of Agriculture’s Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. He would not discuss details of the icon in advance of the official unveiling. But he said it was meant to be a “visual cue” that would prompt “consumers to say, ‘I need to be a little more concerned about what I choose to build a healthy day’s diet.’ ”

Some who have seen the logo compared it with a pie chart, though dessert is hardly the association that the administration would like to conjure up. Others likened it to a pizza cut into slices (equally unpalatable for officials). One person said it called to mind a painting by the artist Mark Rothko, who was known for canvases with blocks of color. Those who had seen it would speak only on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized by the administration to discuss it.

Dr. David Kessler, a former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, who said he had heard descriptions of the new plate, suggested that if the symbol succeeded in getting people to eat significantly more fruits and vegetables, that alone would be an achievement.

“The reality is that very few of us eat like what has been suggested” in government guidelines for healthy eating, Dr. Kessler said. “There’s a world of difference between what’s being served and what’s on that plate.”

He called the plate a major improvement over the pyramid. “It conveys the message simply in a way that we all can understand,” he said.

The plate symbol is meant to help educate consumers about the government’s latest dietary guidelines, which were released in January.

Dr. Post said the U.S.D.A. had spent about $2 million to develop and promote the logo, including conducting research and focus groups and creating a Web site. Some of that money will also be used for the first year of a campaign to publicize the image. He said the agency would use the plate to get across several basic nutritional messages, including urging consumers to eat smaller portions, switch to low-fat or fat-free milk and drink water instead of sugary drinks.

The food pyramid has a long and tangled history. Its original version showed a hierarchy of foods, with those that made up the largest portions of a recommended diet, like grains, fruit and vegetables, closest to the wide base. Foods that were to be eaten in smaller quantities, like dairy and meat, were closer to the pyramid’s tapering top.

But the pyramid’s original release was held back over complaints from the meat and dairy industry that their products were being stigmatized. It was released with minor changes in 1992.

A revised pyramid was released in 2005. Called MyPyramid, it turned the old hierarchy on its side, with vertical brightly colored strips standing in for the different food groups. It also showed a stick figure running up the side to emphasize the need for exercise.

But the new pyramid was widely viewed as hard to understand. The Obama administration began talking about getting rid of it as early as last summer. At that time, a group of public health experts, nutritionists, food industry representatives and design professionals were invited to a meeting in Washington where they were asked to discuss possible alternative symbols. One option was a plate.

When several participants at that meeting said it would be better to create an improved version of the already familiar pyramid, an administration official rejected that idea, telling the group, “We can’t go back,” according to one person who attended the meeting. The person, who requested anonymity because the deliberations were intended to be confidential, said it was clear that the “marching orders were obviously to come up with something new.”

That “something new” will be plated up on Thursday.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/28/h...on/28plate.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 09:09

Plan: Low Carb and IF
Stats: 201/156/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

I agree that it won't be hard to improve on the current food pyramid. But I bet that the pie chart/plate graphic will have a generous portion devoted to 'whole grains' - i.e. nutrient deficient carb bombs. I've read about Michelle Obama's Let's Move campaign, and I think her heart is definitely in the right place. Eliminating food deserts in urban neighborhoods and making school lunches healthier - Awesome! But from what I've seen, these initiatives still purvey the same old BS nutrition advice.

Maybe I am being to cynical! The new pie chart will probably be a vast improvement. This is the one that was promoted when I was a kid:

One of the biggest problems with it was the concept of "servings". There was a key that let you know how big a serving was, but it didn't jive at all with normal portions. I remember that a serving of meat was supposed to be the size of a credit card - and who even knows how thick? So a hamburger patty would be 2 servings? Maybe? Unless it was thick? And 6-11 servings of pasta, bread, cereal, or rice - Whoa! Most people consider a serving to be a slice, or the measurement on the nutrition info. That would be SO MUCH FOOD. At least the new chart will give people an idea of ratios rather than a confusing breakdown of "servings" that is not intuitive in the least.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 10:51

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

I agree that the current administration has their hearts in the right place, but their minds would be better served by reading the science on the subject instead of creating another catchy logo.

Quote:
“It’s going to be hard not to do better than the current pyramid, which basically conveys no useful information,” said Walter C. Willett, chairman of the nutrition department at the Harvard School of Public Health. Dr. Willett said he had not seen the new logo.

Why the secrecy? Walter Willett,
M.D., 1970, University of Michigan Medical School
M.P.H. 1973, Harvard School of Public Health
Dr.P.H., 1980, Harvard School of Public Health, Epidemiology
Chair, 1991, Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health
Fredrick John Stare Professor of Epidemiology and Nutrition
Chair, Department of Nutrition
Department of Nutrition
Department of Epidemiology

Dr. Willett has not seen the new logo. Why not? Why was Dr. Willett not a part of this?

Quote:
Dr. David Kessler, a former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, who said he had heard descriptions of the new plate, suggested that if the symbol succeeded in getting people to eat significantly more fruits and vegetables, that alone would be an achievement.

Dr. Kressler has not seen the plate. He said he "heard descriptions".

Quote:
Those who had seen it would speak only on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized by the administration to discuss it.

Quote:
Few nutritionists will mourn the passing of the pyramid, which, while instantly recognized by millions of American school kids, parents and consumers, was derided by nutritionists as too confusing and deeply flawed because it did not distinguish clearly between healthy foods like whole grains and fish and less healthy choices like white bread and bacon.

There it is. Whole grains are healthful while bacon is not.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 11:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

More fruits and vegetables are an improvement over 11 servings of grains, at least.

The Obama family is doing what works for them, obviously; and they don't see how it can't NOT WORK for others, this is only human. I applaud the First Lady for her efforts; I'm frustrated that she could do so much more.

However, if she were to push anything the slightest bit controversial, the excuse for hate speech would overflow the boundaries of the nation. As it is, I'm astonished that she's attacked for wanting everyone to have healthier children.

She must tread gently.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 11:38

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

You know, if they'd just take that old food pyramid, remove "sweets" from the top and flip the whole thing over upside down, it might make fairly good nutritional advice. Plenty of healthy fats and meats, grain only sparingly...
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 12:22

BF:

Quote:
However, if she were to push anything the slightest bit controversial, the excuse for hate speech would overflow the boundaries of the nation. As it is, I'm astonished that she's attacked for wanting everyone to have healthier children.

She must tread gently.

Yes! I too can't believe the bile spewed in her direction for the radical suggestion that school children drink less soda and have PE or recess. How is this even considered political in nature?

Like others have said, it would be nice if the new guidelines at least acknowledged scientific data. Instead we get more useless suggestions to stuff down 'healthy whole grains' (GAH that term is annoying) and avoid fat.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 12:30

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

This is a step in the right direction. The new food pyramid was a confusing disaster, perhaps intentionally so. Using a plate as a graphic is much clearer, and easier for people to relate to. The next step is to make sure that what appears on that plate is actually good for people.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 12:33

Plan: WAPF
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 0'0"
BF:0%/0%/0%
Progress: 163%

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyedna
and have PE or recess. How is this even considered political in nature?

I wonder if Miss Obama has seen this study.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 14:18

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1988
I wonder if Miss Obama has seen this study.

Thank you! It's just the link I needed!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 14:26

BF:

Even if exercise doesn't lead to weight loss - a concept I totally agree with after reading Taubes - PE and recess are still good things, right?

But yeah, the administration probably thinks that if the fatties just MOVED MORE, they would turn thin.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 14:40

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Conclusions Physical inactivity appears to be the result of fatness rather than its cause. This reverse causality may explain why attempts to tackle childhood obesity by promoting PA have been largely unsuccessful.

Allelujah!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 14:45

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Oh please. I want the administration to mind its own business first. Spend more time on its own plate - food policy - than it does on the people's plates.

I agree that terrible ineffective pyramid can go.

But I would not replace it with a more effective guideline for citizens' personal behavior.
If I was the govmint I would take some responsibility - and draw a plate that shows what the government is piling onto the food system.

The old plate would show the government piling on the grains and HFCS.

The new plate could show, er, the government piling on the grains and HFCS.

Last edited by Seejay : Sat, May-28-11 at 14:51.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 17:38

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyedna
Even if exercise doesn't lead to weight loss - a concept I totally agree with after reading Taubes - PE and recess are still good things, right?
Well from a kid's standpoint I would think so. When I was in elementary school I used to *live* for PE and recess, the high points of my day! The worst part of moving up to junior high was no more recess.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 17:46

Plan: WAPF
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 0'0"
BF:0%/0%/0%
Progress: 163%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Well from a kid's standpoint I would think so. When I was in elementary school I used to *live* for PE and recess, the high points of my day! The worst part of moving up to junior high was no more recess.

Haha, I remember thinking I couldn't live without recess, which wasn't that long ago.

But yeah, it does no harm, I was simply responding to the motives behind Michelle Obama's reasons for promoting exercise (for weight management).
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 21:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/212/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:

I hated PE when I was in high school and I was a slim kid. However I don't think PE ever killed anyone.

My issue is that this new chart may eventually turn into the vegan food guide that I hear is being promoted at Whole Foods now. It really irks me that there is no one advocating for three or four different charts or food guides. People from cultures the world over have thrived on radically different diets for millenia. Why is it that they think that one diet fits everyone? It makes me angry. This new food chart is no better.