Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 19:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Wait... I thought it would make my kidneez asplode!

Low Carbohydrate Diet May Reverse Kidney Damage In Diabetes

Quote:
"Our study is the first to show that a dietary intervention alone is enough to reverse this serious complication of diabetes," said Dr. Mobbs. "This finding has significant implications for the tens of thousands of Americans diagnosed with diabetic kidney failure, and possibly other complications, each year."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 19:10

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

great subject line!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 05:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It's amazing to me; I know my astonishment when I read Dr. Bernstein's book and discovered his patients had their neuropathy reversed!

So this is wonderfully ironic; but not surprising
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 07:33

Plan: OWL
Stats: 280/249/175 Female 73.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

This saddens me because I tried to get my diabetic brother to go low carb, but he would only do what his doctor told him, which was to eat high carb to lower his weight. He died, of course, of kidney failure. Recently I put my fat dogs on low carb, and the vet said that they would have problems with their kidneys.

I end up not trusting doctors so much any more.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 07:50

Plan: any
Stats: 164/135/127 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 78%

OK, this doc did a mouse study that showed that a very low carb diet could reverse kidney damage in diabetics. Then he said this: "Knowing how the ketogenic diet reverses nephropathy will help us identify a drug target and subsequent pharmacological interventions that mimic the effect of the diet . . . . We look forward to studying this promising development further."

Let me see if I have this right -- A low carb diet reversed kidney damage. But we're scared of low carb diets [usually because they are rumored to cause kidney damage]. So let's develop a drug that does what low carb diets do. !?!?!?!??
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 08:02

Plan: Primal/CAD
Stats: 198/185/140 Female 63inches
BF:nunya :)
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldchick
OK, this doc did a mouse study that showed that a very low carb diet could reverse kidney damage in diabetics. Then he said this: "Knowing how the ketogenic diet reverses nephropathy will help us identify a drug target and subsequent pharmacological interventions that mimic the effect of the diet . . . . We look forward to studying this promising development further."

Let me see if I have this right -- A low carb diet reversed kidney damage. But we're scared of low carb diets [usually because they are rumored to cause kidney damage]. So let's develop a drug that does what low carb diets do. !?!?!?!??

That's too funny - so basically keep on eating crap - and put a drug in your system to help with the crap. I'm sorry, won't your kidneys have to filter that as well?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 08:05

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I guess bunny must have been eating too many carbs!

BAD BUNNY!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 08:40

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla

I guess bunny must have been eating too many carbs!

BAD BUNNY!

I want that on a T shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za'atar
I end up not trusting doctors so much any more.

Sad, isn't it? In some ways we're still in the dark ages of medicine.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 10:20

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldchick

Of course. They are planning to develop a drug that mimics the beneficial effect of the diet without all the negative parts.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 10:36

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Of course. They are planning to develop a drug that mimics the beneficial effect of the diet without all the negative parts.

You mean the negative parts like "not being profitable for the drug companies"?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 10:50

Plan: Modified Low Carb
Stats: 320/273.8/270 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicc
That's too funny - so basically keep on eating crap - and put a drug in your system to help with the crap. I'm sorry, won't your kidneys have to filter that as well?

yep, and this quote from the article '. Considering the extreme requirements of the diet, it is not a long-term solution in adults. '

I guess they are so indoctrinated in the fat terror delusion they just can't help themselves.
All of us who low carb for any duration of time have learned that there isn't really anything extreme about this WOE and one can easily live without mounds of daily carbohydrate and still have incredibly delicious, nourishing and healthy meals.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 11:12

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandra
You mean the negative parts like "not being profitable for the drug companies"?

That's right. And all the various deficiencies a lowcarb diet will induce. Like chocolate cake deficiency, and donut defiency, to name just a few.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 15:14
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

This makes me so sad...and a little angry. My dad died of diabetes and all its complications. He was in end-stage renal failure at the end. I wish I knew 5 years ago what I know now, maybe I could have made a difference. Who knows if he would have listened to me though. It makes me so mad when I see them talking about developing a drug for this instead of USING THE FREAKING DIET.

--Melissa
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 15:55

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

These researchers live in a plastic bubble...Gary Taubes talked about this in a interview once..He said that while writing GCBC,he called several of the researchers whose studies he was using...He wanted to fully understand the dynamics of the study and results..In almost every case of which a study showed reduced carbs caused lower insulin levels and weight loss,he then asked the person,"What do you recommend for a person to lose weight?"..Several said they couldn't comment,it wasn't their field,they weren't a nutritionist...And most said,"Reduce calories and exercise more..."He was so frustrated by this..There is a disconnect between the petri dish and real life...
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 16:05

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
This makes me so sad...and a little angry. My dad died of diabetes and all its complications. He was in end-stage renal failure at the end. I wish I knew 5 years ago what I know now, maybe I could have made a difference. Who knows if he would have listened to me though. It makes me so mad when I see them talking about developing a drug for this instead of USING THE FREAKING DIET.

--Melissa
Both my dad (a physician) and older brother died from complications of diabetes. Two more of my brothers (one an MD, the other a PhD) are diabetics and, unfortunately, are following the ADA eating guidelines.