Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 02:05

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Red meat makes babies cry less

Red meat makes babies cry less

Women who eat a lot of red meat during the first three months of pregnancy, have 5 times less chance of getting a baby that cries a lot. This is the result of a research on 3.000 women.

Women who eat a lot of (well done) red meat during the first 3 months of pregnancy, have only 1% chance of getting a baby that cries a lot. Women who avoid red meat, this percentage is as much as 5%.

The researchers claim that this is due to the red meat containing vitamin B12. In their opinion it is also proof that the eating habits of a mother during pregnancy indeed influence the development and the character of the child.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 02:18

Plan: my own
Stats: 224/182/165 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

Here's the English version: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a....html?ITO=1490p

Spot the nutritionist....

Quote:
But nutritionist Yvonne Bishop-Weston warned: 'Meat comes with saturated fats which can hinder the body's use of essential fats needed for the baby's brain and nervous system development.'

Hmmm... sounds like a paradox to, or maybe one she needs to go back to school.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 04:11

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Maybe babies cry more when they don't eat enough meat because meat is more satiating than say whole wheat? I mean, maybe the babies cry because they're very hungry. You know, that hunger that you just can't tolerate and makes you go crazy and you just gotta chew on some fat or something or you'll rip somebody's head off. Well, imagine a baby with the same hunger. Or, maybe babies cry more because the crap they're being fed is, well huh, crap and who the heck can digest crap anyway, right.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 04:34

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

They're talking about the diet of the mother during her first trimester of pregnancy, not the diet of the baby after birth.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 04:36

Plan: my own
Stats: 224/182/165 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

Someone is putting more research into this than me (i.e using Google):

Quote:
Had the Daily Mail accurately and fully disclosed who Ms Yvonne Bishop-Weston was, her comment might have read something more like this...

But VEGAN nutritionist Yvonne Bishop-Weston warned: 'Meat comes with saturated fats which can hinder the body's use of essential fats needed for the baby's brain and nervous system development.'

Quote:
Ms Yvonne Bishop-Weston can offer you 'proven successful strategies for stress and weight management' and 'even assistance with vegetarian and vegan diets'. She also has a vegan cook book that she wrote with her vegan cook partner, Tony Weston. They offer a good links page to various vegetarian and vegan resources, a recipes page (no recipes for steak though). Ms Bishop-Weston likes to blog about presenting awards to the Vegetarian Society, and she likes to tweet about Bill Clinton trying a vegan diet.

http://thatpaleoguy.blogspot.com/20...s-and-full.html
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 04:43

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggsy
They're talking about the diet of the mother during her first trimester of pregnancy, not the diet of the baby after birth.

You're right. My mistake. Forget I said anything.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 08:25

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
You're right. My mistake. Forget I said anything.

I think it's related, though, because babies will be given the food their mother values - either via breastmilk or dairy formula. You would not believe that there are vegan people who give their kids soy formula over dairy to keep them vegan.

My kids rarely cried, especially my third when I had eaten the most meat during pregnancy.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 08:35

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I ate LOTS of red meat in both of my pregnancies and the only time they seemed to cry was when I was late with the breastmilk...which was probably loaded with lots of yummy stuff from all the red meat that I continued to eat! They were satisified and not likely to cry again until the next feeding time.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 08:57

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
The researchers suggest that a lack of B12 may affect how much of a supportive tissue known as myelin, which surrounds and protects the nerve cells, is produced in the brain. Less myelin could cause irritability, they suggest. [...]But nutritionist Yvonne Bishop-Weston warned: 'Meat comes with saturated fats which can hinder the body's use of essential fats needed for the baby's brain and nervous system development.'

Oh My Gawd. The myelin sheath may need B12, but it's composed mostly (75-85%) of fat! Cholesterol, too. How can this person get away with saying that saturated fats can "hinder" the use of "essential fats" needed for the brain and nervous system? Maybe her phospholipid bilayers have been transified by all those vegetables.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 07:59

Plan: uncommon sense
Stats: 173.0/135.5/145.5 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 136%

Good grief. Somebody actually funds studies like this?