Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-10, 10:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Fructose Sugar Makes Maturing Human Fat Cells Fatter, Less Insulin-Sensitive

Fructose Sugar Makes Maturing Human Fat Cells Fatter, Less Insulin-Sensitive, Study Finds

Fructose bad!

Quote:
"Our results suggest that high levels of fructose, which may result from eating a diet high in fructose, throughout childhood may lead to an increase in visceral [abdominal] obesity, which is associated with increased cardiometabolic risk," Coade said.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-10, 14:21

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

Need to print that out in size 72 font and paste it to my mom's fridge, just in case she says, "But fruit is healthy and nutritious" {before handing one of the kids a corn syrup-sweetened "fruit" yogurt}.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-10, 06:20

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Are there any studies out there that use fruit as the source of fructose instead of hfcs? I would be interested in reading those. Maybe it's only fructose by iteself that is damaging but when it's mixed up with everything else in fruit it isn't. Bad things happen when we remove a single element from a whole food.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-10, 07:44

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I've been seeing more and more of those pro-HFCS ads. The ones where one person warns another about the dangers of HFCS but is stumped when it comes to articulating why it's bad. Then the second person glibly explains why it's not bad.

Then everyone eats a popsicle, and the world is good again.

It makes me gag every time I see it.

Edited to add links to the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEbRxTOyGf0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsgXPt564Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BJJGzbN3fg

And here's a parody responding to the above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYiEFu54o1E

Last edited by costello22 : Wed, Jun-23-10 at 07:50.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-10, 08:46
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
Are there any studies out there that use fruit as the source of fructose instead of hfcs? I would be interested in reading those. Maybe it's only fructose by iteself that is damaging but when it's mixed up with everything else in fruit it isn't. Bad things happen when we remove a single element from a whole food.

As far as I know, a fructose molecule is a fructose molecule no matter how you slice it, so to speak. However, you're getting a lot less fructose when you eat a whole piece of fruit, as opposed to a glass of juice where the sugars have been concentrated.

Our bodies can handle limited fructose, at least until we ruin them with far too much.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-10, 06:07

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Not that the fructose molecule itself is any different but maybe there is some other aspect of fruit that makes it not act the same way in your body?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-10, 06:23

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

I think fructose from organic fruit is generally harmless provided your not full on your glycogen stores. Its pretty difficult to over-eat fruit compared to sugar loaded drinks and other sugar loaded consumables.

But I also think that manufactured foods and fructose is unhealthy all the time.

Can I just point out that although there is alot of fructose bashing its kind of dumb, would you replace all the fructose in sweetened stuff with glucose then call it healthy? ofcourse not. In this respect I agree with the above poster that looking at single molecules can be pointless.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-10, 09:10

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I read a study a while back where they fed prisoners purified diets of caseine, sugar, vitamins and minerals. The variety of gut bacteria went way down, this is one big difference you'd expect, and given the relation of gut bacteria to health and to obesity in particular... yeah, fructose in fruit might not be as bad as sugar for this reason, as well. Makes me wonder about prebiotics, isn't that just one more over-processed food?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-10, 10:03
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
I think fructose from organic fruit is generally harmless provided your not full on your glycogen stores. Its pretty difficult to over-eat fruit compared to sugar loaded drinks and other sugar loaded consumables.

AFAIK fructose doesn't affect your glycogen stores. I could be wrong because reading about fructose metabolism is confusing. Glycogen comes from another sugar, glucose. Not sure if fructose ever becomes glucose which could be stored and used later, I think it turns into a triglyceride in the liver.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-10, 10:41

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Since I am a mom, I know how much apple juice kids are putting away in a day. Remember, we were told it is "healthy". While it is easy to blame high fructose corn syrup in sodas and energy drinks, apple juice is equally to blame in my book.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-10, 11:34

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
AFAIK fructose doesn't affect your glycogen stores. I could be wrong because reading about fructose metabolism is confusing. Glycogen comes from another sugar, glucose. Not sure if fructose ever becomes glucose which could be stored and used later, I think it turns into a triglyceride in the liver.

Fructose can be converted to glucose in the liver.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 04:36

Plan: Dr Charles Clark / Atkins
Stats: 252/180/173.9 Male 1m 77.8cm
BF:33%/20.0%/21.9%
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball
Fructose can be converted to glucose in the liver.

Not only can, but there's a 'fast track' route to the liver for fructose. Makes sense when fruit was a rare, seasonal phenomonen which had to be converted to fat asap for winter.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 07:06

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Sugar and its dangers are in the news again, thanks to ABC's popular show, Nightline, which, last week, aired a compelling story spotlighting sugar's role in the obesity crisis.

In his "Sugar Wars" piece, correspondent John Donovan offers a fascinating look at the views of esteemed pediatric endocrinologist Dr. Robert Lustig, whose YouTube video -- entitled "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" -- has garnered more than a quarter of a million hits to date and clearly brought Dr. Lustig into the limelight.

In this Nightline segment -- which you can watch below -- Donovan calls Dr. Lustig "a man at war with sugar," because he argues that too much fructose and not enough fiber are to blame for our obesity crisis and metabolic syndrome.

This should be the end of fruit is so great ! Please go down to, Sugar: the bitter truth.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/conni...k_b_506517.html
dazzawhite you are right on .. Ron*
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 08:32

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Date 1275/300 20 7.5 0 2.0 73.0 0 0 0.05 0.10 0.10 0.7
wow 73 gr sugar .. and nothing about Anti nutrients.
http://www.thefruitpages.com/contents.shtml
good to see. Ron
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 09:31
Experimenter

BF:

My position is a small amount of whole fruit on occasion is not bad. What is bad is fruit juice, HFCS, sugar (sucrose), agave syrup and honey (unless very infrequent), or eating way too much fruit all the time.

If I were an expectant mom, I'd definitely be avoiding it. If I had kids, I'd never give them fruit juice and fruit would be limited.