Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 14:33

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default 80% Fat?

Any one out there following a plan that calls for around 80% fat?

If so, how the heck do you do it? What exactly do you eat? There's simply no way I can figure out how to do it without eating a ton of calories (which to me is 1600 - 1800) and drinking heavy cream all day.

I just put tomorrow's menu into FitDay and here's what I had to do to get 77% fat with my required amount of protein (64 grams): Protein shake (26 grams protein) in the morning with 1/2 cup heavy cream; 1/2 cup heavy cream for "lunch"; and 5 oz roast chicken breast with the skin and 1 Tbsp butter for dinner. And that's only 77% fat! How the heck does anyone get to 80% fat or even 85% fat?!?!?!?!?!?!

(Before you ask, I'm not into veggies. I don't think they're necessary for optimal nutrition.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 15:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'd skip the protein shake, they're really high in protein so it'd really chew through your protein allowance too fast. Replace it with fatty meat or eggs with lots of fat. Maybe replace the cream with cheese, cheese isn't very high in protein, brie is super high fat.

Pate is a good source of fat, super creamy cheeses like brie, greek yogurt.

It's not that hard if you can eat dairy... try doing it paleo if you want a REAL challenge!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 15:15

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Exchange the 5 ozs of chicken breasts to 5 ozs of chicken thighs. Drizzle some butter on them and lick the plate. Or, I would also heat up a 1/2 cup of heavy cream in a double boiler with 2 tablespoons of butter. As the cream heats up add some Monterrey Jack cheese and pour that on the thighs. Mmm, I am making myself hungry. I better g for a walk.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 15:16
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Jimmy Moore is doing this right now. He's only eating 10 eggs with cheese per day, cooked in butter.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 15:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh yeah, use lots of sauces with cream and cheese. I used to take a good stock and reduce it, add some wine. Adding cream and some herbs would make it awesome.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 15:22

BF:

Good ideas! Yes, the protein shake is high in protein (26 grams per scoop), but it's easy on a day I have to go in to the office.

I love a good ribeye (with added butter, of course!), but really dislike dark meat chicken (thighs and drumbsticks). Maybe I'll make up a batch of wings to nibble on.

Can't do too much cheese because of its "binding" qualities. I do love savory cream sauces with pork and chicken, so maybe I'll do more of those dishes.

Do you think 1600 - 1800 calories is too much to lose weight on, even though it's 80% fat? I guess the best way to know is to try, right?

Hey, Nancy, could you define "Hedonic Paleo"?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 15:53

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

I hit exactly 80% today.
Menu:
5.5 0z tbone steak
3 tbl mayo
handful of pork rinds
Several cups of coffee with a total of 7 tbl heavy whipping cream
It is dinner time and I have no appetite whatsoever so I may not eat again until tomorrow.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 16:10

Plan: Zero Carbs since 01/09
Stats: 220/134.8/135 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Why not try it without counting calories for awhile?

I never count anything since going ZC, but when I was VLC and lost 43lbs in 5.5 months, the ONLY thing I counted was those carbs. I did figure out I was eating 75-80% fat though, and probably WAY more calories than anyone would think.

How many calories in 1lb of fatty meat patties and 24oz of prime rib anyway?? LOL
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 16:20

BF:

I don't count carbs, or anything else for that matter, on a regular basis. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what the food would look like to get 80% fat.

Just looking for ideas.

Jean, where in the world did you find a 5 oz Tbone steak? I love ribeyes, but they're usually 10 oz or more, and it seems a shame to cut them in half!

But, if I follow what Margot is saying, who cares? I should just eat the 10 oz steak (with butter!) and call it good!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 16:21

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yeah, what does the 80% come from? I mean, why go for percent of calories?

I can get there with one egg and FOUR quarter pound Hebrew hot dogs. Yes, I have no shame, I know their ingredients are not pristine. And it's only 1500 calories that way.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 16:25

BF:

It's just something to shoot for. Nothing set in stone.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 16:27

Plan: Zero Carbs since 01/09
Stats: 220/134.8/135 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

If you are not hungry after 10oz of steak and butter then why not?

I just do not limit myself to a certain number of calories... then again, I only stuff myself on rare occasion like when I have an all-u-can eat prime rib!

I have been known to eat 6 quarter chickens (legs and thighs...) LOL or 3lbs of pork shoulder steak (with all the yummy fat...) but then again, that is rare.

There is only one way to find out, and that is to try it out!

PS: you could add HWC to your shakes and a raw egg or 2, that could make a huge difference in a day!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 16:47

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Jean, where in the world did you find a 5 oz Tbone steak? I love ribeyes, but they're usually 10 oz or more, and it seems a shame to cut them in half!

I bought a couple of packages of the tbones (there were 3 per pack) at my local grocery store. After cooking they came out to about 5 ounces sometimes more. I am trying the higher fat to see if it will help me lose I seem to get hungry a lot and am thinking less protein more fat may help?? How much is too much protein? I don't know yet I am experimenting.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 17:03

BF:

I'm experimenting, too. I do think fat is more satiating than protein, but others disagree with me.

Margot, I know I'm being dense at the moment, but what is HWC? Also, when you lost the 43 pounds in 5 months, you didn't count calories? Just basically had meat and fat and no carbs?

I bought some EAS shakes the other day, just to have on hand in an emergency. They're 110 calories, 3 grams fat (very low!), 3 grams ECC, and 17 grams protein. I'm taking one to work tomorrow, but I've already added 1 full cup of heavy cream to it. Like I said, in a pinch it will do.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 17:05

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Good ideas! Yes, the protein shake is high in protein (26 grams per scoop), but it's easy on a day I have to go in to the office.

I love a good ribeye (with added butter, of course!), but really dislike dark meat chicken (thighs and drumbsticks). Maybe I'll make up a batch of wings to nibble on.

Can't do too much cheese because of its "binding" qualities. I do love savory cream sauces with pork and chicken, so maybe I'll do more of those dishes.

Do you think 1600 - 1800 calories is too much to lose weight on, even though it's 80% fat? I guess the best way to know is to try, right?

Hey, Nancy, could you define "Hedonic Paleo"?

You could also add MCT oil to your smoothies or coconut oil to your coffee. Bawdywench, I am providing ideas from things that I actually do. I had a terrific craving for sour cream, for example. So I had steak with an avocado and red bell pepper salad that I poured ranch dressing. I laid my steak on a bed of sour cream...at least 3 tablespoons. Also, I do not count calories. Yes, the best way to know is to try. Also remember that I do intermittent fasting and that does make a difference in how your body reacts to calories.