Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 02:24

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Morbidly obese 'may have missing genes'

Quote:
From BBC News Online
London, UK
4 February, 2010

Morbidly obese 'may have missing genes'

A small number of extremely overweight people may be missing the same chunk of genetic material, claim UK researchers.

The findings, published in the journal Nature, could offer clues to whether obesity can be "inherited" in some cases.

Imperial College London scientists found dozens of people - all severely obese - who lacked approximately the same 30 genes.

The gene "deletion" could not be found in people of normal weight.

While much of the "obesity epidemic" currently affecting most Western countries has been attributed to a move towards high-calorie foods and more sedentary lifestyles, scientists have found evidence that genes may play a significant role in influencing weight gain in some people.

The latest study focused on the "morbidly obese", who have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of more than 40, and who are at the highest risk of health problems.

There are an estimated 700,000 of these people in the UK.

'Learning difficulties'

The first clue came by looking at a group of teenagers and adults with learning difficulties, who are known to be at higher risk of obesity, although the reasons for this are not entirely clear.

They researchers found 31 people who had nearly identical "deletions" in their genetic code, all of whom had a BMI of over 30, meaning they were obese.

Then a wider scan of the genetic makeup of a mixture of more than 16,000 obese and normal weight people revealed 19 more examples of the missing genes.

All of the people involved were classed as "morbidly obese", with a BMI of over 40, and at the highest risk of health problems related to their weight.

Most of them had been normal weight as toddlers, but then became overweight during later childhood.

None of the people studied with normal weight had the missing code.

The precise function of the missing genes is unclear, as is the precise nature of the relationship between learning difficulties and obesity - none of the people with the deletions in the wider study had learning problems.

Weight-loss surgery

Professor Philippe Froguel, from Imperial College, said: "It is becoming increasingly clear that for some morbidly obese people, their weight gain has an underlying genetic cause.

"If we can identify these individuals through genetic testing, we can then offer them appropriate support and medical interventions, such as the option of weight loss surgery, to improve their long-term health."

Dr Robin Walters, also from Imperial, said that while this particular set of deletions was rare - affecting some seven in 1,000 morbidly obese people - there were likely to be other variations yet to be found.

"The combined effect of several variations of this type could explain much of the genetic risk for severe obesity, which is known to run in families."

Dr Sadaf Farooqi, from Cambridge University, who collaborated with this research, and was involved in similar research published in December which pointed to another gene flaw which could be linked to obesity.

She said it was likely that a "patchwork" of different genetic variations would eventually emerge to explain more cases of obesity - perhaps by affecting appetite, or the rate at which the body burns fat.

She said: "There is still an important public health message about diet and exercise, but simply blaming people for their obesity is no longer appropriate."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8496938.stm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 11:00

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I do believe there is a gene that attributes to obesity, but I wonder if they tested people that were slender? If anything to make sure that is the right gene?

My HB is a good example. He is 5' 11" tall and weighs 135lbs. His father, all uncles and brother are all the same. His mother is same tall, but she is very obeise. Most of the woman in her family are, some men and one sister that is slender. She claims she must work to stay slender.

My point is that there has to be a gene or lacking of that effects them. I can tell you that they way they were all brought to eat would make most body conciouse people cringe, so the food can not be the factor. . . all the time.

Even if there is a gene or lacking one, I don't see how science can fix that. Some people are meant to store the weight, I believe that goes back to cave man days.

As for children with learning disabilities being overweight, how often do you see a disabled person excercising or eating correctly?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 11:05

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
I do believe there is a gene that attributes to obesity, but I wonder if they tested people that were slender? If anything to make sure that is the right gene?

"The gene "deletion" could not be found in people of normal weight. "
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 11:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/153/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
As for children with learning disabilities being overweight, how often do you see a disabled person excercising or eating correctly?

Many people with disabilities, including mental, are able to make good food choices and get involved in exercises, especially if encouraged by friends, family, and caregivers. This is a stereotype.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 11:58

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

If they are incouraged, key words. Yes, I have noticed they tend to be larger, but I also notice that most arn't encouraged to be fitter or eat right.

I would like to know if they tested slender people to make sure they found the propper gene. I'm not doughting there is one. I happen to be one of those people that obesity runs threw the women and not the men.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 13:18

BF:

sexym2, see my previous post. That's a quote from the article. If they didn't find the deletion in normal weight persons, they therefore did find the gene (i.e., it wasn't deleted).
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 13:33

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
we can then offer them appropriate support and medical interventions, such as the option of weight loss surgery, to improve their long-term health."

The jury is still out on that I think. They really need to do some long term studies. It's not like it's especially hard. They just need to keep track of people who had the operation. Maybe they rather not know?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 14:48

Plan: lowcarb/high fat/Failsafe
Stats: 280/245/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

They make fat strains of mice in labs, don't they? That implies genetics is at work. Man is an animal too.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 17:37

BF:

The idea of a genetic component to obesity is nothing new, not even to mainstream medicine. That's not the point. These studies are about finding specifics.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 23:01

Plan: lowcarb/high fat/Failsafe
Stats: 280/245/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I can read.