Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 12:08

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%
Default fried chicken w/bread crumbs and cracker meal

I wanted to make chicken tenders last night so I did something I've been thinking of. I took some lc bread (Sara Lee 100% multi-grain) that measures about 7g/slice and toasted it very thoroughly. Then I ground it up to make bread crumbs. I mixed it with Parmesan cheese, dipped the chix in diluted cream and egg before dredging the strips and fried away. Well, I started to run low before I ran out of chicken and then remembered I had some lc crackers (Crunchmaster gluten free mulitgrain crackers) that tasted pretty vile as a snack. Hmm... wonder how well they would make cracker meal. So, I ground them up too, and with the parmesan cheese, they were quite the hit. I don't know how to measure the carb count on this because some of the mix was ditched after dredging all the strips and there was a lot of crumblies in the skillet when I was done. I used four slices of bread and about twenty-five crackers at .83 g each for the whole recipe, which of course didn't entirely get eaten, especially by any one person.
The great thing is that even my non lc family really liked them as did my semi-lc husband.
Yay!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 15:43

Plan: atkins / Eat Fat get Thin
Stats: 239/218.8/148 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

I'd love to know that too. We love chicken fingers. I used to make them once a week--but haven't since I started LC last week!

Last edited by BJCon40 : Wed, Apr-15-09 at 04:28.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 08:10

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

From now on, I would actually skip the bread crumbs and grind the crackers a bit finer than just what my blender could do . It would maybe be worth dragging out my food processor. I guess I could save the leftover crumbs and reclaim the amount in the skillet just long enough to see how much remains after cooking so I would know how much of it we ate. If I did that once, I could just use that number whenever I made it again.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 08:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I made some good fried chicken by shaking the cut up chicken in a ziplock bag that had about 1/2 cup of vital wheat gluten in it. I had seasoned the pieces with salt, pepper and herbs and then shook them up in the bag of gluten. It tasted as close to high carb fried chicken as I have ever had. The only caveat would be not to get the chicken too dark as when the gluten darkens too much it smells like burning hair. I made this and served fauxtatoes with it and my fam thought I had jumped boat on the LC movement.