Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-08, 15:05

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%
Default Lack of REM sleep may raise obesity risk in kids

Quote:
Lack of REM sleep may raise obesity risk in kids

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Studies have shown that children and teens who fail to get the proper amount of sleep each night are more prone to obesity, and researchers now think it may be linked to a particular stage of sleep.

They said not spending enough time in rapid eye movement, or REM, sleep -- the type that is normally associated with dreaming -- significantly increased the odds of obesity in children and teens.

"Our results demonstrated that the short sleep-obesity association may be attributed to reduced REM sleep," said Dr. Xianchen Liu of Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic in Pittsburgh reported on Monday in the Archives of General Psychiatry.

Ultimately, obesity is the byproduct of taking in more calories than the body needs. But Liu and colleagues wanted to see if they could identify any stage of sleep that appeared especially important.

The researchers studied 335 children and adolescents aged 7 to 17 for three consecutive nights. Their sleep was monitored through polysomnography, which measures sleep cycles and stages by recording brain waves, electrical activity of muscles, eye movement, breathing rate, blood pressure, and other variables.

Weight and height were measured to calculate body mass index, a measure of obesity. They found 15 percent were at risk for becoming overweight and 13 were overweight.

When they compared the sleep patterns among these groups, they found children who were overweight slept about 22 minutes less per night than normal-weight children. They also had shorter REM sleep, less eye activity during REM sleep and a longer wait before the first REM period.

After adjusting for other factors, they found one hour less of total sleep doubled the odds of being overweight, and one-hour less of REM sleep tripled the odds.

"Although the precise mechanisms are currently under investigation, the association between short sleep duration and overweight may be attributed to the interaction of behavioral and biological changes as a result of sleep deprivation," Liu and colleagues wrote.

They said sleep loss causes changes in hormone levels that may affect hunger. It also gives a person more time in which to eat, and makes a person sleepy during the day, which may make them less likely to exercise.

Liu said more research is needed to understand changes in the metabolism that occur when children and teens get too little sleep.

They noted that the obesity rate has more than tripled among children aged 6 to 11 years in the past 30 years, and about 17 percent of U.S. adolescents are now overweight or obese.

Given this, the researchers think doctors, schools and families should step in to ensure that children get enough sleep.

Liu suggests parents establish regular bedtime and wake up times at both weekdays and weekends, improve the sleep environment and address any sleep disorders such as sleep apnea that may be keeping children from getting the sleep they need.

http://www.reuters.com/article/heal...430080720080804
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-08, 18:29
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Gee, now if they can just figure out which is the cart and which is the horse. Either that or they can start lecturing kids on getting enough REM sleep.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-08, 20:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 322/230/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Gee, now if they can just figure out which is the cart and which is the horse. Either that or they can start lecturing kids on getting enough REM sleep.

If we shame them enough about it, I'm sure they'll get the message.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-08, 21:07

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I'm sure the drug companies are now working on an REM drug to cure obesity!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-08, 06:55

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Their apparent conclusion that "sleep deprivation" is causing weight gain makes no sense. How are these fat children being sleep deprived? They don't mention any factors observed in the study that were causing fatter children to, say, have to go to bed later later than they want, get woke up at night more often or anything. All they observed was that they slept less time. If the kids sleep less because that's just how long they happen to sleep, they aren't being deprived of sleep and some other factor must be causing them to get or maybe need less sleep.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-08, 07:59
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
If the kids sleep less because that's just how long they happen to sleep, they aren't being deprived of sleep and some other factor must be causing them to get or maybe need less sleep.
This reasoning is flawed. People with sleep apnea happen to sleep less and it does mean they are sleep deprived.

The questions to me are whether one is driving the other and whether the reduction in sleep has a deleterious effect. Other research on sleep has indicated that getting too little sleep leads to insulin resistance in a remarkably short period of time but I wouldn't call the effect proven. Still other research indicates sleeping to long is *associated* with various medical problems, though I haven't read where anyone has discussed if there is a causal relationship.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-08, 09:58

BF:

What I was wondering about is that they didn't mention any specific circumstance that was clearly depriving the kids of sleep when they might otherwise choose to be sleeping more, so I'm wondering what it is that is actually causing them to sleep less. Are the kids waking up tired because they couldn't sleep comfortably due to a health condition fat kids might have more of? Do thinner kids' brains require more sleep? I have also heard not sleeping enough causes insulin resistance, but they didn't mention the kids were actually being shortchanged of sleep like if I choose to stay up too late busy doing something and miss out on sleep. Something is happening inside these kids' bodies that is probably a lot more complex than can be solved by just telling them to get more shut-eye. It could even be sleep apnea or something similar. I think the doctors need to figure out what is really going wrong with these kids health-wise regarding sleep patterns rather than just saying make your kid sleep more so he won't get fat.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-08, 11:08
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Good find. Nothing more perplexing than defensive forum responses of people told that, in order to be healthier, they need more sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
If the kids sleep less because that's just how long they happen to sleep, they aren't being deprived

What makes you think this? What part of Less Sleep = Sleep Deprived don't you understand? Do you think that choosing to stay up and being forced to stay up makes any difference to the body?

There is a growing difference in the number of hours people sleep and the number of hours required by the body to go through a fairly complex cycle of endocrine changes while sleeping. This required cycle of hormones and neurotransmitters has taken the same amount of time since forever, but people are getting less sleep. The variation in the time required for this cycle to complete from person to person is measured in minutes, not hours. Getting less sleep than the body requires to do this work is bad, and apparently makes us eat food more and store fat more. In mice, too, and the fastest way to give a lab rat cancer is too keep it awake.

Tell us that we can't eat sugar, but PLEASE don't tell us that we can't stay up all night.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 10:12

BF:

I think we must be defining "deprivation" differently. What I mean is that, say, you're someone who only needs seven hours of sleep and you get seven, while the next person really physiologically needs nine but gets seven. They're sleep deprived, you aren't. Are the kids actually getting less sleep than they need and thus compromising their health or do they actually physiologically need less sleep than the other kids? If it's the latter, I'm thinking making them sleep more isn't going to help them lose weight because something else must be the cause.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 10:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think people didn't choose to stay up late at night before electricity because it was dark. So they probably got a heck of a lot more sleep than we do. I've tried reading by lamplight, it isn't easy.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 10:53
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
someone who only needs seven hours of sleep

There is currently no one who only needs seven hours of sleep to complete the hormonal sleep cycle. It is this cycle's failure to complete that is implicated in appetite dysfunction and insulin resistance. Additionally, the slower reaction times of someone who gets only seven hours of sleep is measurable.