Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-08, 02:51

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Re-gaining weight after completing the Bernstein Program

Hello, everyone,

I am considering giving the Bernstein clinic a call because although I have successfully lowered my A1C to 5.2 with diet, exercise and insulin, I cannot lose ANY weight and am even gaining on a low carb diet. I am now eating only fish, meat and veggies.

Two local celebrities lost quite a bit of weight there, and one was a nightly TV newcaster; we all watched as she lost weight (and looked drawn, tired and older - but slim) and were rooting for her; then she slowly gained it all back - that was so sad and must be awful for her.

A friend went there. lost 50 pounds and also gained it all back.

Has anyone had any experience with the program and successfully kept it off for 2 years + ?

Were there any negative effects during or after? any input would be appreciated. The cost here is $500 + per month, so I am doing some research first before spending all that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-08, 03:08
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would very strongly suggest you avoid the Dr Stanley Bernstein clinic. Yes, you will lose weight, but only because the diet is so very low in calories. It is no wonder at all to me that most people who lose their weight that way regain it.

The Dr Bernstein whose advice you need to follow is Dr Richard Bernstein. Have you read his book yet? His programme is geared towards diabetics, and he is an insulin dependent diabetic himself.

All the best to you.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-08, 03:11

BF:

Yes, it is Dr. Richard Bernstein I was hoping to see. I was not aware there were two Dr. Bernsteins and you have saved me from a mistake.

I downloaded his book yesterday and am actually in the middle of reading it.

Where is his clinic located, would you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
I would very strongly suggest you avoid the Dr Stanley Bernstein clinic. Yes, you will lose weight, but only because the diet is so very low in calories. It is no wonder at all to me that most people who lose their weight that way regain it.

The Dr Bernstein whose advice you need to follow is Dr Richard Bernstein. Have you read his book yet? His programme is geared towards diabetics, and he is an insulin dependent diabetic himself.

All the best to you.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-08, 03:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Sorry, matey, I have no idea if Dr Richard B runs clinics or not.

Roz
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-08, 06:06

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by januaria
Yes, it is Dr. Richard Bernstein I was hoping to see. I was not aware there were two Dr. Bernsteins and you have saved me from a mistake.

I downloaded his book yesterday and am actually in the middle of reading it.

Where is his clinic located, would you know?

Dr. Richard Bernstein has a private clinic in Mamaroneck, New York. HTH!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-08, 08:28

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%

Januaria,

As you will see in Dr. B's book, if you aren't losing, cut back on protein. This has always worked for me. I put together a protein calculator that tells you exactly how much protein you need. I find any time I go above this level, I get hungry and eat more.

The protein calculator is at:
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/proteincalc.htm

As far as keeping it off goes. I hit goal and maintained without a lot of struggle for 4+ years and the secret for me was using Metformin ER (extended release). Most doctors will prescribe Metformin if you are diabetic or have pre-diabetes. I have had to take a break with metformin after 3 years because it was giving me stomach irritation, and as soon as I stopped it, I started gaining. Before that, no problem.

If you use insulin try to use R instead of the faster acting Novolog/humalog versions. I found R much easier to maintain weight on. The faster insulins make me hungry.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 03:34

BF:
Default Metformin

Great - thanks!

I so wish I could have metformin - it's what I need to be on, but I had a liver transplant and my new liver is inflamed now too (HepC - the new liver was already infected when they gave it to me). Thank you for the calculator link. I am supposed to eat 16 oz a day because I am on prednisone; I am finding it hard to eat that much.

What is 'R'? I am on NPH but hear of a new one called levemir that causes less weight gain.

Thank you for your post.

April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottadata
Januaria,

As you will see in Dr. B's book, if you aren't losing, cut back on protein. This has always worked for me. I put together a protein calculator that tells you exactly how much protein you need. I find any time I go above this level, I get hungry and eat more.

As far as keeping it off goes. I hit goal and maintained without a lot of struggle for 4+ years and the secret for me was using Metformin ER (extended release). Most doctors will prescribe Metformin if you are diabetic or have pre-diabetes. I have had to take a break with metformin after 3 years because it was giving me stomach irritation, and as soon as I stopped it, I started gaining. Before that, no problem.

If you use insulin try to use R instead of the faster acting Novolog/humalog versions. I found R much easier to maintain weight on. The faster insulins make me hungry.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 04:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottadata
Januaria,

Wow - the site the protein calculator is on is terrific! Thank you! Did you say that was your site?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 16:47

BF:

Well, I think I found what the problem is. I gave the protein calculator a try (wonderful website...) and calculated breakfast.

My total claories, just for breakfast were 987!

The reason: I was told to keep my fats up when low carbing so I added coconut milk and dairy cream to my diet. I thought I was told if carbs wer low than fats should be high.

Breakfast: 3 boiled omega eggs; 3 TB mayonaise; 1.5 cups lettuce; 2 cherry tomatoes; low carb dressing (1 carb) 1 TB; 3 strawberries, 1/4 oz almonds sliced; 1/4 cup dairy cream; 1/4 cup coconut milk.

Fats: 93 grams 89% of meal
Carb: 10 grams 3% " "
Fiber: 3 grams 0% of meal
Sugars: 5 grams 2 % " "
Protein: 19 grams 8 % " "

So, I guess I should lay off the fat, right? anyone know if this is a bad breakfast ?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 17:59
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Thanks for the calculator script, I wasn't sure I was getting enough with one meal a day-- I figured 80 and it said 79.4