Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 06:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '92
Stats: 245/220/130 Female 5'4'
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Revolution Rolls

I didn't know which section to post this in so if it needs to be moved feel free.

I had shown my rev rolls in another thread and thought I would share my technique for getting them even and well-shaped.

I use a basic rev roll recipe with cream cheese:

1.5 oz Cream Cheese (3 Tbl)
1 tsp Granular Splenda (or 1 drop Liquid Splenda)
3 Eggs (room temperature preferred)
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
Pinch Salt
Pam or Oil to coat the baking surfaces

Soften cream cheese in MW for about 30 seconds at 30% power (MW's vary so soften according to yours)

Separate eggs, put whites in their own bowl and yolks in with the softened cream cheese stirring after each yolk addition.

Add Splenda and salt to the cream cheese/yolk mixture and stir well.

Begin mixing whites with mixer, when whites become bubbly add the cream of tartar and continue to mix until stiff peaks form.

Use the beaters with the small amount of whites still on them to mix the cream cheese/yolk mixture for a few seconds, this will add a bit of whites to temper the yolks and lighten the mixture prior to combining the two.

Fold cream cheese/yolk mixture into whites, be careful not to overwork the mixture, a few white streaks are fine and wont effect the final product. It's more important to have all the cream cheese/yolk mixture rather than the whites incorporated, so a bit of whites is fine.

Scoop batter into well greased (these will stick to everything, I place non-stick foil on my pans and oil the foil as well as the silicon egg rings) egg rings on a half-sheet pan. Be sure to have the batter touch the egg rings.

I tried silicone baking mats with this batch but went back to non-stick foil afterwards.

Fill them up just over the top of the egg ring and put them in the oven to bake (instructions below).

Baking:

I was tired of the hit and miss I was getting baking these things, it seemed that no matter how closely I followed the same directions they would randomly come out different, which drove me batty.

So now I use my convection oven and have excellent results.

I bake them at 250 convection for 1 hour if plain.
If topped with finely shredded cheese bake at 200 convection for 1:20

Double batch of Parmesan topped rev rolls.

Some stuff I make with them besides dinner rolls:

Turkey and cheese sandwich, tuna works great too. I have wrapped these in plastic wrap and taken them on car trips to have for lunch and they didn't get soggy.

Sausage Muffin for Breakfast.

I have made chocolate rev rolls too, much like a light sponge cake.

The possibilities are almost endless.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 07:04

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

>>I was tired of the hit and miss I was getting baking these things, it seemed that no matter how closely I followed the same directions they would randomly come out different, which drove me batty.<<

Oh wow, can I relate to that! My rev rolls always come out different! I am going to look for the egg rings at my dollar stores. They look so uniform and pretty...mine always look like lumpy, bumpy things! Taste good, but pretty? Not so much!

Thanks, Sandi!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 07:28
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%

That is a beautiful post and some beautiful rev rolls! I don't really mind the random shapes I get, but for some "occasion" coming up, I may ask for some of those thingies.

Thanks for sharing!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 09:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Awesome! I was thinking of getting muffin top pans, but I think parchment paper and those egg rings would be easier and take up less storage space.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 09:57
Currently Fascinated

Plan: M&E/Atkins
Stats: 225/150/125 Female 5'2"
BF:Quite Possibly
Progress: 75%

Oh, that's awesome! I didn't even know such tools existed, I'm such a newb in the kitchen. Sounds like they'd make my life easier on many levels!

Robin
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 10:16

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 194/178/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Three Questions:

1) Are these induction friendly?

2) I have a convection toaster oven (bakes, toasts, etc.) Could I make them in there?

3) Could I just use foil lined muffin tins?

Thanks.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 10:33
Registered Member

BF:

If you live in Canada you can get them for $1 at Dollarama, they are high quality, no different than the high priced ones. I bought a few back in September and didn't really get hooked on them until I tried them for rev rolls, then I went back to buy more and they were sold out, but they recently restocked them and I find them there every time I go, so now I can make double batches

They also have a huge selection of silicon spatulas and tools that are better imo than the ones at Walmart or kitchen stores, and WAY better that the Tupperware one I have that is useless since it bleeds color.

We use the egg rings for cookies too, with a 1.5 oz disher they hold the perfect amount for drop cookies and keep them from spreading.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 15:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240.2/227.4/164 Female 69 inches
BF:mini goal 225
Progress: 17%

I have a muffin top pan but I think I would like the egg rings better and will be looking for them next time I go to the store. Thanks for posting the directions and pictures. They look great.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 15:27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedee62
Three Questions:

2) I have a convection toaster oven (bakes, toasts, etc.) Could I make them in there?

Thanks.

Hey DeeDee,

1. Yes they are.

2. I don't know about that. I've only made mine in the regular oven.

3. I would think not. Taking the foil off would tear them to pieces. Well, maybe you could if you could get them greased them enough. But that seems like a lot of trouble.

You can just plop them on the parchment paper and bake them without any molds at all. It comes out just fine, if you don't always need perfect circles.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 15:31

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

i make mine into thin, pita-like rolls too for having with Greek food!!! yum.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 16:16
Registered Member

I have thought about doing that! Do you just spread them out on the pan more thinly?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 16:23
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedee62
Three Questions:

Thanks.

Hi =)

Yes they are induction suitable.

When I first saw your post I decided to try them in my convection toaster oven. They baked fine, took longer than the regular oven which surprised me so I put an oven thermometer in the toaster oven and found out it runs cool, it was about 30 degrees below the chosen temperature which explains the long baking time.

But they came out fine, I would bake them at 200 for 90 minutes and begin checking at 1 hour to see how they are doing. If that goes well you can try 250 for 60 mins and see if they don't bake too fast, the goal is to bake them slowly so they dry out thoroughly instead of cooking fast on the outside and being "eggy" in the center.

Muffin pans would be a pain to remove these from, trust me, I have tried many methods and I found that muffin top pans work well, so does just dropping them on oiled foil, I went with the egg rings because I am particular about their shape being uniform and suitable for sandwiches, if not for that I would still be using muffin pans or just foil.

HTH

ETA I made Chocolate Rev Rolls in the toaster oven, then put a tablespoon of whipped cream inside two rolls and froze them wrapped in plastic wrap, they came out nifty, I think I will make these again in the summer when it's hot.

Last edited by Sandi S : Tue, Jan-15-08 at 16:34.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 16:37
Creating a new Me!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/252.0/170 Female 63 1/2 in
BF:TOO **** HIGH
Progress: 37%

Sandi,

I love Revolution Rolls and your choc sandwich looks yummy
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 18:18
Registered Member

What is your recipe for the chocolate ones? I have been wanting to try them, but didn't want to wing it with the sweetener. Thanks!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-08, 16:56
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
What is your recipe for the chocolate ones? I have been wanting to try them, but didn't want to wing it with the sweetener. Thanks!

I will get that to you as soon as I figure out what I did, they came out great and I had modified my recipe a bit but failed to write down the changes.

I have since made two batches that were less than tasty, I will try to make another batch tomorrow and see if I can get it right for you

*bangs head on monitor*