Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 22:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 410/298.0/170 Male 5' 11''
BF:BF 40%, BMI 43
Progress: 47%
Lightbulb TDC'ers: Gary Taubes at UC Berkeley - VIDEO

For anyone in the TDC who's doing low carb who hasn't heard about it you simply must read Gary Taubes book "Good Calories, Bad Calories"! Gary is a science writer that is doing an awesome job of challenging the conventional wisdom being offered by low calorie/high carb dietary experts (namely that they would say that we are all fat simply because we are slothful and gluttonous - but wait! There may be more to it than that!!!).

Dr. Mike Eades of Protein Power has en excellent link on his blog of an almost two hour presentation by Gary at UC Berkeley via streaming RealAudio video. THIS IS MUST SEE TV!!! If you are serious about low carbin it, and understanding just why it works, and why doctors and others might think you are crazy for doing it - you simply must see this and read this book!!!

Along with the low carb books of choice (Atkins, South Beach, Protein Power, Zone, Carb Adddicts Diet, etc). :smile:

Here is the link to the video:

The Protein Power Blog of Dr. Mike Eades and story on this subject (Thanks Dr. Mike!):
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...rkeley-lecture/

The link to the page and the actual presentation by Gary Taubes:
http://webcast.berkeley.edu/event_d...webcastid=21216
http://webcast.berkeley.edu/stream....webcastid=21216

Hope you find this as fascinating as I have!! I am going to re-watch this video and re-read this book probably several times before I am done!!

Last edited by ndurance1 : Sun, Dec-09-07 at 22:46.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 16:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 445/305/220 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 62%

This is an excellent link.

-j.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 01:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 445/305/220 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 62%

Having just rewatched the lecture, I'm going to up my previous praise for this link.

Every single person on this board, and this forum in particular, should watch this.

I got his book and haven't had time to read it through yet, but having watched this I can not wait. Please watch it.

-j.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 01:33
Free at last!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/248.4/200 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

That IS a great video! Thank you for posting the link. I liked it so much I forwarded it to my mom.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 06:04

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Thanks for posting this. There's been a long thread, actually several on Taubes' book over in the research/media forum. This is the single most important book on human nutrition written in quite a long while. Every physician, every person interested in good nutritional information should read it.

It's dense, and packed with information, but actually readable. The only problem I've heard that some have reading it is that it gets them so angry at the shoddy science that's been forced on them that they have to put the book down periodically to calm down.

Read it.

Plane
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-07, 16:07

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I just watched the lecture. It was very interesting and is causing me to do some serious thinking! Thanks for the link!