Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 12:16

Plan: My own L/C
Stats: 225/198/188 Male 179cm
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Still weak muscles !!

During exercise , I found it very difficult to move higher level using weight . also I don’t see that much improvement in my muscles !!! any idea the reason why ?
I am worried of having more carbs before or after exercise. Please let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 13:43

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Are you drinking enough water?? I get really weak in my legs when I don't keep hydrated...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 14:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

It takes time to adjust to new weights. It also takes time for your hard work to show.

Experiment with different exercises - mix it up. Do one set really slowly, then the next at normal rate.

Try one set at the higher weight and do the rest of the sets at the lower weight. Once you get used to that do two sets at the higher weight.

Lots and lots of water, L-glutamine to build muscle, protein after workouts not carbs!!!!

Most of all DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!!

Julie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 07:10

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default How fast?

You don't say how long you're taking at each level.

One rule of thumb is to start at a weight you can lift 8 times to exhaustion, and when you can lift it 12-15 or 20 times, go up 5 or 10%.

Some body types are "hard gainers" and don't show improvement very easily. Some genetic profiles also tend to show "big muscles" more than others.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 11:56

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

You're not lifting enought at near maximum loads. At least once a week, you need to up the weight by at least 5 lbs. and do a few reps, even if it's only one.

What 'improvement' are you hoping to see in your muscles?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 13:05

BF:

Most of the exercises depend on arms . The shoulders , the chest , the biceps , the triceps …etc. To train these I have to have strong arms , and that’s my problem. I try so hard to strengthen my arms to lift more heavy weights but looks like it’s not working , my arm can not carry that much because they are weak
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 14:14

BF:
Default Rethink your thinking

You are saying "weak arms," but that's too big. You may have weak biceps, or weak triceps. Both of those are arm muscles, and get trained by doing exercises for biceps or triceps.

If you mean "grip strength," there are exercises for that, too, but you have to be careful because it's easy to hurt your hands.

If you can't lift heavy, lift more -- do more repetitions. Works out to much the same thing at your level in the end.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 15:05

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

do you have a training log that you can share?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 02:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
You are saying "weak arms," but that's too big. You may have weak biceps, or weak triceps. Both of those are arm muscles, and get trained by doing exercises for biceps or triceps.

If you mean "grip strength," there are exercises for that, too, but you have to be careful because it's easy to hurt your hands.

If you can't lift heavy, lift more -- do more repetitions. Works out to much the same thing at your level in the end.

You are right I think I should go for strengthen the Biceps and triceps first before I go for a heavy weight for the chest and shoulders.
Unfortunately I don’t have a specific schedule for exercising . I do exercise 3 or 4 days a week ( X 1hour ) but I try to exercise all my body.
Many thanks to all of you.
Abufaisal
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 05:34

BF:
Default There's another part of your problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by abufaisal
I do exercise 3 or 4 days a week ( X 1hour ) but I try to exercise all my body.

I would suggest an experiment: Give it about a month to see if it works for you.

Instead of exercising "all your body" every day, exercise the top half two days and the bottom half the other two. (And if you're really only going to the gym three days a week, do "top" two days this week and one next, and then switch back.)

(You can also divide by front and back, but that's a bit harder to think about.)

You might find you can push harder and do more weight with more rest in between sessions. You'll still be at the gym, but your arms will have "rest days" when you're working legs, and vice versa. You can grow pretty good muscles with two workouts a week per body part, IF you really push those parts on the days you work them.

The "trouble" with this method is that it requires a bit more planning, and note-taking. You may need a journal to remember where you are on the weights. Brains are bad about that kind of memory, esp. if they think "working hard" = "may hurt a bit in the short run." You also may need a book or some instruction to find more exercises to fill the hour for top-only, or legs-only.

However, the "big boys" who get photo spreads in muscle magazines work out this way. They only work one "part" per session at the gym, and then give it a good rest after, while they work some other part the next time they're at the gym.

Good luck.

Last edited by cs_carver : Tue, Oct-30-07 at 05:37. Reason: add more
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 06:55

BF:

Quote:
exercise the top half two days and the bottom half the other two. .

Many thanks cs_carver for your kind reply , I will go for 4 days a week , but are you talking about 2 days in a row for the same group of muscles ?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 06:55

BF:

Quote:
exercise the top half two days and the bottom half the other two. .

Many thanks cs_carver for your kind reply , I will go for 4 days a week , but are you talking about 2 days in a row for the same group of muscles ?

sorry I couldn't find a way to delete the double reply
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 08:39

BF:
Default For example:

Do Top on Monday and Thursday, Bottom half on Tuesday and Friday.

Or equivalent. You want to maximize the amount of time each muscle rests after a heavy workout. If you do arms on Monday and Tuesday, you'll get nothing but damage from Tuesday's workout.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 08:58

BF:

Not less than 2 days break for muscles , may be my mistake was doing only one day break , sometimes exercising the same muscle 2 days in a row, this is why I didn't go any further
Many thanks , that's more clear for me now.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 13:42

BF:

Sorry to make this post long , but I have one more question . Is it also a bad idea to exercise the tummy 2 or 3 days in a row ? should I give it a break every other day or so?