Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 21:59

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Dr. Wheeler's Gold Standard Protein System

I did not find any real information on the board concerning this product after running several different search strings. So I thought to post data on this product.

I will preface with I personally do not buy this but a relative does and served as my source to the product for tasting and information. I am not affilitated with the man or the company.

What It Is:
Dr. Bill Wheeler's Gold Standard Protein weight loss system shake mix. The mix comes in three flavors: vanilla, chocolate, or royale.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving: 2 scoops (42.5g)
Servings per container: 11

Amounts Per Serving
Calories 180 Calories from fat 80

Total Fat 9g
Saturated Fat 2g
Cholesterol less than 5mg
Sodium 80mg
Potassium 500mg
Total Carbohydrate 2.5g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugars 0.5g
Protein 24g

Vitamin A 40%
Vitamin C 60%
Calcium 70%
Iron 0%
Vitamin D 60%
Vitamin E 60%
Molybdenum 110%
Thiamin 60%
Riboflavin 60%
Niacin 100%
Vitamin B6 60%
Folic Acid 50%
Vitamin B12 50%
Biotin 60%
Panthothenic Acid 40%
Phosphorus 40%
Iodine 40%
Magnesium 40%
Zinc 40%
Selenium 45%
Copper 40%
Manganese 50%
Chromium 40%

Ingredients: (for the royale flavor)
Protein blend, (calcium caseinate, milk protein concentrate, egg albumin, hydrolyzed soy protein, whey protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey protein, glutamine peptide), high oleic sunflower oil, cocoa powder, vitamin and mineral blend (tricalcium phosphate, potassium citrate, magnesium oxide, choline bitartrate, potassium chloride, dipotassium phosphate, ascorbic acid, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate, niacin, zinc oxide, vitamin A palmitate, d-calcium pantothenate, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiamin hydrochloride, chromium nicotinate, vitamin D3, folic acid, sodium molybdate, biotin, sodium selenite, potassium iodide, cyanocobalamin), natural and artificial flavors, salt, acesulfame K, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polydextrose, guar gum, sucralose, and beta carotene for color.

Weight Loss Rules:
1. Use the shake to replace one of your meal selections each day.
2. Use the shake as your mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack.
3. Keep daily carbohydrate intake to no more than 35 grams. Each meal should not contain more than 10-12 grams of carbohydrate.
4. Move your body 20 minutes a day minimum. Walk, swim, garden, go dancing, roller-skate, kayaking, polish your car, vacuum the house, park your car far from your destination and walk.

Additional Weight Loss Rules:
1. Eat freely from the following "approved foods" list
2. Avoid foods from the following "not approved" list
3. Drink 6-8 glasses (8 oz.) of clean, pure water daily

Review:

The shake is by far the thickest and tastiest I have tried of protein/meal replacement shakes. Slimey throat feel was minimal. For me, one shake kept me full for several hours. And as with other protein powders, it can be used for various baking/dessert recipes.

Want to guess what is on the "approved" food list and what is on the "not approved" list?

Yes, folks, this is an Atkins rip-off. Even the page layout listing the food "rules" mimics Atkins DANDR, 2002. However, the 16 page booklet that comes with an order makes no mention of different stages or of if/when to increase carbohydrate intake. Nor are there limits on dairy (including cottage cheese) and vegetable (all low to moderate carb, a few starchy ones listed like turnips) intake per day. Artificial sweeteners - stevia is the preferred, aspartame is allowed, sucralose is not mentioned, and hexitols are not allowed. Salad herbs, salad dressing, salad garnishes, spice, and fats & oils sections are virtual verbatium. No mention of cream.

I would make the assumption you could incorporate this into an Atkins plan as a meal replacement and for various recipes. However, it is a pricey protein source. The main attraction appears to be the product's low net carbohydrate count. If you are looking for a low carb, low fat shake that will boost your protein amounts as well, this may be the product for you.

The Good:
Taste
Thickness
Low net carbohydrate count

The Bad:
Cost ($$$) - $21-$40/can depending on source and if purchased in bulk or not
Mail order/Ebay only
No apparent progression of plan for longterm sustainability

Last edited by fetch : Tue, Jun-05-07 at 22:22.
Sponsored Links