Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-06, 15:31
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%
Default Do You Drink Alcohol During Your Weight Loss?

I'd like an answer from all of those that are successfully losing weight.

Do you have a nightly drink of some form of alcohol?
Did you obstain from drinking any alcohol during weight loss?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-06, 15:44
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I'm not a heavy drinker, so my experience may not be helpful. But, I did drink occasionally during my weight loss phase. A glass of wine every other week or so. Low-carb coolers (Smirnoff Ultra) once in a while if it was a party or BBQ.

One week while losing I went on an all-inclusive vacation to the Dominican Republic - free booze! I stuck with wine at dinner, had a couple of vodkas with some Crystal Light I brought with me over the course of the week. I didn't abuse the booze, but did partake. I lost a pound while away, so I was happy.

I'm not sure how I would have done with regular, consistent drinking though.

Val
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-06, 17:20
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Well, my weight loss hasn't been a lot or super fast, but I am enjoying my life...and one bit of enjoyment has been a glass of wine with dinner or LC beer. I haven't ventured into the vodka and CL land but I have considered it for next summer. For now, I am keeping watch over portions (ONE glass with my meal) and counting those carbs and it's been great. Could it be slowing me down? Sure. But for me, it's about living my life and making this WOE a WOL...so I'd rather enjoy a little responsibly now and take a little longer to get to goal.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-06, 17:40
Registered Member

When I think about my WOE, I don't cheat.
I don't eat food I'm not supposed to eat.
My only vice is I like a drink after work.

I really enjoy having a martini with friends, or a glass of wine when I get home.

I was wondering if people stopped drinking when they attempted this WOL.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-06, 19:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/185/175 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 83%

I drank alchohol during my weight loss. Even during induction,
I had one to two drinks an evening.

I switched to low carb beer and whiskey which was a change from my previous habit of micro-brews.

Alchol consumption likely extended the time to reach my first goal. ( almost 2 years from 230 to 175).

I try to eat dinner prior to having a drink, so I'm not planning a meal after I've consumed. It's always easier to over-eat after a few drinks.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-06, 20:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

I cut way back the first time around and even more so now. I did notice that when I went from drinking nightly (even small amounts) to drinking only once every few weeks or so, that I lost more weight - but not a huge amount more. Just a word of caution tho' - I had a freind doing low carb and having a "glass" of wine nightly, except that she was pouring the largest wine glass she could find so instead of being a normal 3.5 ox serving it was more like 8-10 oz or more. She could not figure out why she was having a hard time losing weight! Alcohol does interfere with fat burning and the calories do add up.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-06, 20:34

Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I did not drink it while I was dieting. Too busy trying to eat the right things. I just drank water. Different story now. I drink red or white wine often with dinner. Do not drink it by itself....only with food.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-06, 23:43
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm not a drinker but alcohol messes up my metabolism royally. It is like sugar. It totally stops normal fat burning, and gives me instant energy, just like sugar... however, watch out, because I'll soon be met with hypoglycemia and massive hunger. I can't tolerate alcohol any better than I can carbs.

I consider alcohol just like sugar: a simple, quick fuel that shuts off fat burning and messes up energy. It raises insulin and makes us crave more alcohol or sugar.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 04:58
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniel
It's always easier to over-eat after a few drinks.

True.

I'm fully aware of the ramifications of drinking alcohol, I am over 21, but I enjoy my nightly drink, and my weight loss has fluctuated with the seasons.

I was wondering if anyone else had an issue with drinking alcohol or giving it up forever..
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 10:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 445/305/220 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 62%

I drink occasionally; I used to drink more but I found it impeded my progress so now I save it for special occasions (going to a game, a party, etc.). When I do drink, I plan around it. For instance, if I'm going to a game where I'm going to be having some beer (miller lite only, as it has 3 carbs/drink) I plan ahead and throughout the day I cut back on the already-minimal amount of carbs that I consume elsewhere. Also, I always exercise a bit extra the next day.

-j.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 13:09

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 137/135/130 Female 5' 6"
BF:Don't know
Progress: 29%

Hey PilotGal. Yes, I have had a "problem" with alcohol on and off over the years and have just made the decision to STOP all drinking for good, I hope. I miss my wine at dinner, but it was becoming a glass at 5, then one while getting dinner ready, then one with dinner, then a re-fill, then if it was the weekend a few more with a movie in the living room.......you get the picture. It did NOT stop my weight loss though. I also think it gave me that hypoglycemia feeling like my blood sugars were spiking then falling and that did not feel like "enjoyment" to me. My face also would get really red and I hate that!!!! So I guess some of us are better off not drinking at all. DANG!! Will I ever have a glass of wine on a special occasion? Maybe, but if it's a choice between toasting someone with a glass of wine and enjoying a piece of chocolate mousse cake, guess which one I'd choose?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-06, 17:15

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

A few of us on here were just discussing this...

I go out about once a week for drinks and notice that I tend to lose weight the next day! It's never a permanent loss, but still intriguing none the less!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-06, 18:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 445/305/220 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 62%

I've actually noticed something similar - if I've been on a plateau and then I go out for drinks, I tend to lose a big chunk of weight. It definitely stalls me, though, if I drink regularly. Exactly how regularly is "regularly" I don't know, but I got plowed on Friday and Saturday nights this week and had a pretty big whoosh, and I've had the same thing happen in the past. But I've definitely noticed that if I drink consistently I don't lose...I hadn't had a drink for probably going on 2 months until this weekend.

On a related note, I had an awesome weekend.

-j.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-06, 22:20

Stats: 225/143/155 Female 5'10''
BF:38%/21.4%/24.9%
Progress: 117%

I ended up giving alcohol up entirely because:

A) I cannot drink the alcohol at 146lbs. that I could when I was 216lbs. Not thinking, the last time I drank I ended up drinking my normal 4-5 drinks during the course of the event. I ended up very sick that night.

B) Alcohol stalls me completely, and after a night out there's nothing like pizza. Alcohol not only stalls me, but gives me the munchies for off limits food items.

C) The sugar content (Even trace amounts in hard liquor and low carb beer) made me instantaneously nauseated.

In college, when I first started LCing, I was able to drink hard liquor with diet soda on the weekends and lose fine. Once I graduated, got serious about losing and ran into medical problems, alcohol stalled me. Now that I'm at goal, alcohol makes me intensely ill, even if it's just one drink. I'd rather drink water with lime and be the designated driver or wingman. My girl pals seem to like it--anytime anyone buys me a drink, they know I'll just pass it along to them!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 07:29

Stats: 338/280/150 Female 65 in
BF:too much
Progress: 31%

i boughts some low carb drink mixes from netrition so i plan to make those over the holidays...i do have an occasional glass of merlot here and there and i've lost 19 pounds in six weeks.