Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 04:35

Plan: none
Stats: 160/160/160
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins? I dont get it. I follow a genetic diet.

I dont really understand the preoccupation with dieting. There is really no need to diet.

You just need to ask yourself a simple common sense question.

Who is are closest genetic relative in the mammal family?

What does there intestinal tract look like?

What do they eat?

What does the intestinal tract of a meat eating mammal look like?

What do they eat?

Which most resembles my in physiology and genetic make up?

The closest human relative on the genetic tree is the Chimp.
99.8 percent genetic match

The have a long intestinal tract very much like the human one.

They mostly eat high fiber complex carbs, with a fairly minimal amount of protien. Mostly nuts and seed and ants.

High protien meating eating mammals have short intestinal tracts and a very highly acidic stomach to digest the protien, both things humans lack.

We are most like Chimps so are diet should me more like a chimps and less like a tigers. Milk should also be left out of the diet as we are the only species who continues to go for the teet after we learn to eat real food. Bizzare really when u think about it. If you couldnt buy it in the store you would be down on your knees under a cow.

No big mystery here.

Diets also do not work because thier is a high degree of biodifferentation in the needs of the micro and macro nutrients between people. Unless you have a work up done by someone trained in this, you dont know exatcly what ratio you need, But a super high protien diet just does not make any sense genetically for most people.

I welcome others thoughts on this.

VegieMax
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 09:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

Gee Max I guess U dont understand the problem millions of people encounter which is carb addiction and insulin ressistance. Most of us didnt realize we should be following a "chimps" diet?...what we are trying to do is get back to where we began.. how the caveman ate. It wasnt until the introduction of sugar and refined flours that there was such a thing as an obese problem. I am no expert..but I have done my research and based on how I feel this is definitely the way for me to eat. I have fibromyalgia and had been sick for many yrs. Since changing my eating habits I am slim. healthy and dont require meds anymore. Now I do agree with U that diets dont work.....diets tend to imply a quick fix weight loss. What low-carbing is teaching is that IF U eat this way the rest of your life your weight and health will remain in good shape...so to speak.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 10:10

BF:
Progress:

I do understand insulin ressistance and carb addiction. I went through major withdrawls when I eliminated simple sugars from my diet.

The chimp vs. tiger is more than analogy it is a matter of physiology. Our bodies are simply not designed to ingest large quantities of protien. We dont have the cutting teeth for it, not the proper ph in our stomachs, nor the correct intestinal tract.

If you want a healthier way of starting ketotsis in your body then supervised fasting is a better solution in my opinion.

I find also that this whole 3 square meals a day is more of a industrial revolution idea to make sure you could work around your meal times than anything else. Humans were foragers for much of their evolution and hence ate many times a day. I would say 5 or 6 small meals a day, not 2 which is the norm now. This keeps your metabolism up and makes for a very steady insulin curve.

Just my two cents, yes im a vegetarian, no im not perfect. Im glad you have lost whatever weight you wanted to. Now that you have maybe is a good time to take a closer look.

VegieMax
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 10:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/115
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default chimps don't eat meat??

I hate to be the one to tell you this Max...but chimps DO eat meat, actually a chimp community can consume up 1 tons of meat annually...hard to believe isn't it? They eat other monkeys!!! If I'm expected to eat what my closest ancestors eat...no thank you, I've read Fit for Life...wasn't for me
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 10:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

I can respect your opinion but I still think U are missing the point. 1st of all if being a vegetarian works for U then great!... If we werent meant to eat meat then how come the originators of our species ate mostly meat?? I have tried many many different "diets" even did a stint eating no meat. But I have never felt as good as I do now and I know I have never been healthier. How come it is if someone has high blood pressure and high levels of the bad cholestoral that once they start low-carbing their levels go to a more normal state? Im sure low-carbing isnt for absolutely everyone. I also know I speak for the hundreds of people that use this forum that for us it is the only way to live a healthy life.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 11:34

BF:
Progress:

The originators or our species were not the caveman.......If you look at a time line of our species that was a foot long the caveman would occupy about half a centimeter of that timeline.

The majority of our evolution was spent eating what I refered to in the previous post.

I dont argue that a high protien diet and i do mean as in short term diet can have positive short term effects. But the fact of the matter is that a high protien, low complex carb diet is not what are bodies are designed for.

I wont belabor the point, the evidence is without and within.

VegeMax

Only intent was to foster a little thought.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 11:37

BF:
Progress:

Raina - the amount of protein chimps eat is miniscule compared to what the average american eats. I did not say they dont eat meat only that the ration is wildly different than the track we are on, and Atkin recommends.

VegieMax
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 16:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/245/180
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default MAX

Please tell me why you would join a low carb BB, when obviously all you want to do is insult, annoy, and badmouth what we are trying to do? Again why take the time out of your day to do this, 160-160-160 PLEASE! (go some where else to make trouble)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 16:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi VegieMax,

Welcome to our forum.

If I take the chimps analogy, I'd say yes, going back to eating what chimps eat, will help us de-evolve to mere chimps.

Wa'il
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 16:46

BF:
Progress:

Sorry I thought a lively discussion was what bulliten boards were for. I dont remember insulting anyone. The Atkins diet is a fairly good way to lose weight, I just question its long term benefits.

All ideologies are strengthened by testing. Its only when ideologies become dogmas that your should start to worry.

I have no agenda except to make you think and question. If after doing so you come to the same conclusion, then Im certainly not gonna argue with you. Its your body you do what you want to it.

I joined the board to spark a little discussion. I am no expert on Atikins, maybe there is something im missing as well. Thats what discussion is for.

VegieMax
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 16:47

BF:
Progress:

hu hu hu he he he.....wheres my banana

VegieMax
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 16:52
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 279/259/155
BF:
Progress: 16%
Angry

VegieMax as a vegetarian, you can still eat major quantities of protein, just not in animal form. Those of us with specific health problems NEED to limit our carb intake, and that is what the research shows. The carbs we do eat should be complex, high fiber. You said you cut out sugars and flour. I don't think we are so far apart here in our way of thinking. I think we need to remember that not every is the same and something works differently for all of us. Let's happy up here, that WILL make us all healthier.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 16:54
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by VegieMax
I dont argue that a high protien diet and i do mean as in short term diet can have positive short term effects.

Hmmm, if you can point to medical study proving this, I'd like to see it. This sounds more like Weight-Watchers and SlimFast results, and most of us here have followed them.

Quote:

But the fact of the matter is that a high protien, low complex carb diet is not what are bodies are designed for.

Hmm, if so, why do our bodies mange to find all the enzymes that perfectly breaks down all the protein, and when we lack protein, we lose muscles?

Quote:

I wont belabor the point, the evidence is without and within.

Which evidence? I replied earlier to the chimps "evidence". It's hard to find any specific diet backed up by medical and biochemical research support than low-carb diets.

I'm not putting your theory down, in as much as I'm trying to help you look for more scientific foundation to what you are doing, to better asses it's benefits, let alone counselling others .

Research is a better argument than feelings and assumptions.

Wa'il
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 17:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I've always believed that what separated the chimps from Man is a couple hundred thousand mastadon steaks. Protein develops brain power as well as muscles

I respect anyone's eating style, although I certainly wouldn't go to a vegetarian board and start lecturing everyone about how they should be eating meat. But I think one should look to the differences as well as the similarities -- and, more importantly, as has been said, rely on scientific data.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 17:38

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

None of us are dieting.

Our bodies are realizing their ideal weights because we have decided to be kinder and stop feeding them crap.

This isn't rocket science.