Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-06, 23:26

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Sleeping too little, or too long, tied to diabetes

Quote:
NEW YORK - Getting too little -- or too much -- sleep may increase a person's risk of developing type 2 diabetes, new research suggests.

"Sleep duration may be a novel risk factor for the development of clinical diabetes," conclude the researchers in the March issue of Diabetes Care.

Dr. Henry Klar Yaggi from Yale University in New Haven, Conn. and two colleagues studied the long-term (15-year) impact of sleep duration on the development of diabetes in more than 1,100 middle-aged and elderly men who were free of diabetes in 1987-1989 and were followed until 2004.

Men getting no more than 6 hours of sleep per night, as well as those getting more than 8 hours of shut eye per night, were at significantly increased risk for developing diabetes, compared to men getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night.

The risk of diabetes was roughly twofold higher in men reporting short sleep duration and more than threefold higher in those reporting long sleep duration, compared with men sleeping 7 to 8 hours nightly.

"This U-shaped distribution of risk with respect to sleep duration has been reported previously for coronary heart disease, all cause mortality, and diabetes in women," Yaggi told Reuters Health.

The elevated risks with short or long durations of sleep "remained essentially unchanged" after adjustment for several factors including age, blood pressure, smoking status and waist circumference, the authors say.

However, relative risks were reduced "considerably" when adjusted for testosterone, suggesting to the team that the effects of sleep on diabetes could be mediated via changes in the body's levels of this hormone.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11766016/

The actual research is here.

Last edited by kwikdriver : Fri, Mar-10-06 at 23:39.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-06, 09:31
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Dang! Beat me to it, Kwik. Interesting, eh?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-06, 09:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Well, I'm screwed...............LOL!!

Very interesting stuff though. I guess there is such a thing as the right amount of sleep time after all.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-06, 11:35
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

For me it works the other way too. When my blood sugar is screwed up it messes up my sleep. When my carbs are below 30 or above 100 I get insomnia.

Thanks Caveman! One of your posts mentioned the need for a completely dark room, doing that helps me stay asleep.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-06, 18:34

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Hmmmm ... I wonder if they've followed through to discover which is cause and which is effect? Or did I miss that? Sounds like DH and I are both doomed ... we do like our 8 hours plus naps!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-06, 20:29
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sleep has a profound influence on my metabolism and sugar tolerance. Getting enough sleep influences my metabolism almost like exercise.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-06, 20:37
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

BTW I would bet my life that the men who are sleeping more than 8 hrs = overtired from metabolic disease (result)... whereas the men getting less than 6 hrs = stressing out their bodies and increasing insulin resistance (cause)
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 07:27

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Men getting no more than 6 hours of sleep per night, as well as those getting more than 8 hours of shut eye per night, were at significantly increased risk for developing diabetes, compared to men getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night.

These researchers need to go take a look, then, at the amount of sleep that we were getting back in the 50's (average 8-9 hours per night) along with the rates of diabetes. I'll give them a hint; the rates of diabetes were a lot lower back then.
I don't doubt that there is a correlation but once again, correlation does not show causation.