Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 10:11

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 185/184/150 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Maintaining perfectly; but want to LOSE

Ok: I've been on PP for 3 weeks now and can lay claim to ABSOLUTELY maintaining my weight. BUT, I really want to lose these 15lbs. For whatever the amounts of carbs/protein/fat/calories that I am eating, WHICH one should I change (reduce/increase?) to get my body to start losing vs effectively staying the same. Starting to panic-bathing suit weather is JUST around the corner!!!

thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 16:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Hi Holly,

If you want to lose, why are you aiming for 50 - 60 cg as against 30 - 40 that the Eades recommend? Have you taken the suggestions by other posters to eliminate frankenfoods, artificial sweeteners and lc bread/muffins for a while and eat more vegetables to see the effect? What about your exercise program? - let us know what sort of weights/resistance program you have, plus walking/swimming/cardio??

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 17:21

Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Holly,

For me, the first thing I always adjust when I want to lose is lowering fat. I know most people seem to do better with lowering carbs, but I could never maintain that and always felt terrible. As much as I didn't want to do it, a couple days of calories around 1000 almost always guaranteed a loss for me and got my body into fat-burning mode. Then I would gradually increase calories again to more normal levels, and the weight would usually keep coming off. Again, this has just been my experience. I just cannot do that low of calories if my carbs are also insanely low.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 09:03

BF:
Default I'll keep trying/tweaking!!!

mcsblues: I took the advice of WendyOH for my carb values, since we're both hypothyroid and NEITHER of us could lose a pound on Atkins at 20g carb levels. I'm trying to shoot for 30-50g and see how that does, but she indicated that higher carbs, lower fat and now watch the calories might work.

WendyOH: I'm going to lower my fats; my goal is now 100-120g protein/30-50g carbs/fat% around 50-60%, and I'll try to keep calories around 1000 for a few days.

I do exercise (tennis 2-3 hrs a week (singles and doubles), free-weights +muscle conditioning class 1 1/2hr/week, other cardio (walking/treadmill) 1-2 hrs/ week.

this is frustrating; would LOVE to see 160!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 15:33

Holly,

I just thought of something that might give you some hope. If you are anything like me, then the mid 160's is a place where your body feels VERY comfortable at. I could gorge myself and not really gain, and be very good and not see a loss. If this is the case for you as well, what your body needs is a jump-start. I believe that is why I was FINALLY successful when I dropped the calories to 1000 for a few days. It was such a shock to my system that my body finally realized I wasn't messing around and started to let go of some of the fat. I breezed through the 150's. The weight fell off at a ridiculously fast pace, especially for someone with hypothyroidism who was convinced that weightloss was an impossibility. I think the reason it was so fast is that I never really spent any time in the 150's on the way up. I am have since been stuck between 145-150. This is another weight that my body feels very comfortable at. I can splurge big-time and will inch my way to 150, or completely restrict myself but never get below 145. I can only imagine how limited my eating would be if I ever decided I wanted to get under 145. It wouldn't be anything I would ever be happy with. So this is where I've decided to maintain. I am comfortable with the way I look, although I could probably still afford to lose a couple lbs or firm up, but I am not willing to do what it takes to get any lower. I hope this helps you not give up hope.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 18:56

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sounds like you already received good advice. I can't add a thing. Being hypo really throws a wrench into the works. Wendy's been there, I haven't.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 08:24

BF:
Default then SHOCK it is!!!!!

All (bawdy, Wendy, etc)...

I can't thank you enough for all your advice (esp my 'soul sister'-Wendy!)...when I get to feeling that maybe I"ll be 165 forever, you all don't give up on me...which makes me NOT give up on myself. Being hypo is VERY frustrating, but knowing that YOU were successful gives me motiviation-THANK YOU.

Wendy...I will give 1000 calories a try from now (Thurs) through Monday. I've not got very good willpower (as I ate a bunch of <GULP> cheese-its yesterday). When I get bummed out that the weight won't move no matter HOW many numbers (carbs/fat, etc..) I keep track of, it gets very frustrating and I get the 'what-the-heck-am-I-trying-for-if-it's-not-making-a-difference' attitude.

I've been in the 160's for years now..so, again, there's HOPE that my body needs a shock, and shock I'm going to give it!!!! I think I can have some willpower for a few days..and hopefully it will pay off.

Thanks, and I am hopeful that I can give you all some advice someday as you need it...you're great!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 13:25

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

let us know how it is going, and keep up the good work. you can do it!!!

i am also "stuck", my body likes this weight also......humph
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 17:15

Holly,

How is your "shock" experiment going? You sound JUST like me when you say you were at 165 for years. That's what I reached in college and was there all the way up to the beginning of last year. It was a very comfortable weight for my body, and although people told me I looked fine, I knew that I didn't. I am not one of those who carries my weight well. When I am heavy, it's all in my face and upper body, which I can't stand. I feel so much more comfortable at this new weight. You WILL get there, but it might be tough at first getting your body to let go. Don't give up hope. I always found that just when I wanted to throw in the towel, that's when you CANNOT!!!! If you stick it out you do eventually get rewarded but you have to push past that point of wanting to give up. Believe me, I have been there many times. It's just at that point of becoming really hungry that your body finally starts to let go. Learn to enjoy that feeling and keep reminding yourself of where you want to be. Hope you are doing well!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 08:23

BF:
Default weekend was TOUGH!

Hi Wendy....well....Thursday went GREAT...then the weekend came...I didn't eat ALOT of bad stuff, but I"m pretty sure my calories were above 1200...and I had ' a bite of this and a bite of that'!!... Going to try again this week, as during the week I find it easier to be more regimented.

The only DOWN side of trying the 20g carbs/meal is that I think it's triggering overall carb cravings....so...I think I may try to hit 40-50g carbs/day but do it CAD style (at only 1 meal, evening, w/protein and salad, within 60 minutes) What do you think? Also, its TOM, so that could be contributing to my lack of focus and cravings!!

I'm DETERMINED to figure this weight loss out. I went to my dr. on Thurs for thyroid blood draw. She told me I could stop my metformin...haven't heard of anyone saying that caused a gain. But I'm secretly hoping my TSH is a little higher so she'll dose me up a bit!!! I should know the results today.

thanks for your encouragement. How are things with you?? I SO look forward to your #'s!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 19:21

Holly-Don't sweat it if you've been eating 1200 calories. That might be low enough to get your body into losing mode. Perhaps saving most of your carbs for the evening will be a better choice for you, especially if you still keep your dinners lowcarb. You'll have to let us know how that works for you. Have you been weighing? Is it constant or is it moving around at all? That might give you some information as well. I'm really pulling for you, so don't get discouraged. We'll help you figure this thing out!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 10:27

BF:

back on track these last 2 days; my weight was 166 on MOnday, today and yesterday it is 165.5. I usually bounce between 167 and 165.5. I've not seen 164 or even 163 in a few weeks. I'll stick w/the 'shock' treatment of lower cal's and GOOD carbs only at dinner for a week and see if that makes a difference. If you have any other ideas, I welcome them. Here's what I ate yesterday:

B: 2 eggs + 2 whites, ham and cheese omelette; coffee + 1/2 and 1/2 and splenda
L: broccoli soup (broccoli, no fat/salt chix broth, spinach, garlic)
snack: 3 TBS natural pnut butter
D: chicken w/Atkins batter mix+olive oil/lemon, cucumber slices in sour cream+splenda+vinegar, wax beans and a banana.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 08:16

Holly-

That's great that the scale is slowly going down for you!

I have a couple of suggestions for you regarding your menu if you get stuck again. First of all is that I think you need to pick either CAD or Protein Power. You can certainly do CAD with only low carb choices for dinner, but then you cannot have the peanut butter as a snack. Also, whichever plan you are choosing, I worry that your lunch barely has any protein in it at all. If you'd rather be doing Protein Power, then the banana at dinner is a big no no. So, basically what I think I am saying, is that you can either have the peanut butter and nix the banana or else save the peanut butter and eat it with your banana with your reward meal if you are leaning more towards CAD.

Keep up the good work!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 19:24

BF:

WEndy, good advice. Today, back up 2 lbs, but I'm assuming water weight here. I really tend to battle with the weekends. I guess I have been mixing PP and CAD by shooting for PP levels of protein, but only eating my carbs at dinner, but your point about snacks (esp pnut butter) is well taken. Since I did try PP strict (as strict as I could be, anyways), I'm thinking I should try to do clean CAD for 2 weeks, but lean towards GOOD, unprocessed carbs for my reward meal. I am finding the lower calorie days a little harder, as I definitely get hungry between lunch and dinner. But, if I can make the scale move, and get myself to 160, I feel I can add in a CAD snack at 2:30. THAT should be motivation!

Thanks for all the tips. I REALLY need some motiviation, since we're at the weekend, and I find it harder to be accountable. And I'm REALLY trying to get more exercise in, since I can only see that helping.

Hope things are good with you!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-05, 08:59

Holly,
I just posted in the Java room about my current experience with saving most of my carbs for dinner and the success I am having with it. You might find it interesting