Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-04, 20:18
I will try...until.

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 288.5/207.5/110 Female 61'
BF:52/52/20
Progress: 45%
Question Jogging in cold weather...?

I live in Northern New York, and I would really like to continue jogging outdoors, because I hate the treadmill at the gym. Is it unrealistic to go jogging in 20-40 degree weather?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 14:41

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Dry pavement?

We don't have much of that around here. Slick pavements would be the bigger risk, I think; put a scarf over your mouth to help warm the air. And stay on a short course where you can get home safely if you decide it's not working, rather than a long trail where the far point is too far.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 15:32
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins/cycling
Stats: 145/145/125 Female 5'6"
BF:25%/23%/20%
Progress: 0%

I love to run outside in the cold weather. Here in NYC the winters can be really cold, and especially windy. The lowest temperature that I can run outside in is about 35 degrees, after that it gets too cold and windy. I run with a scarf over my mouth/nose, and a headband and hat. I look funny, but hey, there are less people out there anyway!

Happy trails!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 08:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

Oh, I do, I do! I trained for my last marathon in some horrid weather. I hate the 'mill! I live in Utah. Just invest in some good wicking fabrics, gloves, hat, good jacket. Wear plenty of layers. I have the Marmot Precip Jacket and it's great because it has 'pit zips so you can vent when you need it, but I can also pull the hood over and I can zip the jacket up all the way so it protects my face as well. If I get too hot I can unzip the pit zips, or even tie it around my waist. I see them on e-bay al the time for decent prices, aorund $50.00 for a very high quality jacket!
underneath that I usually wear a fleece vest that covers my neck, and some type of high performance material top made of poly-propylene or other good warm but wicking fabrics. I wear two tops plus the vest and jacket when it is between 0 and 20. Above 20 I am usualy in just the long sleeve shirt (North Face El Capitan zip neck), vest and jacket, with hat and gloves. For my legs I wear a good thick pair of tights.
runners world website has this great "dress the runner" feature that can be very useful as well.