Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 19:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/258/175 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Distilled water - Chemical Vitamins, etc.

I have a friend that is a chiropractor and nutritionist and is very
pro Atkins although he's not on it. (doesn't need to be)

He did a nutritional workup on me awhile back and put me on some whole food supplements made by "Standard Process Inc" which are only available through health care professionals and I'm telling you they have literally changed my life, I went from zero energy to feeling very well in just a few days and by the way I started on these supplements quite awhile before I started Atkins again for the second time and getting into Ketosis was quicker, easier and less painful than it ever was before.

I took chemical vitamins the first time on Atkins and honestly they didn't do anything for me that I could tell, as a matter of fact many nutritionists including mine claim that chemical vitamins like the Atkins brand and the over the counter stuff you get at Walmart, etc. isn't recognized by the body and actually causes a strain on your system to get rid of the stuff which is why you have so much yellow urine when taking vitamins heavily.

I take a handfull of vitamins daily and never have yellow urine which tells me that my body is absorbing the vitamins instead of getting rid of it.

( I'm not trying to sell you on a product, I'm just telling you what I experienced)

Another thing he reccomended for me was distilled water which seems to flush out the body with a lot less effort than regular water and has really helped my prostrate pain that usually comes with drinking a lot of water, it turns out that distilled water is easier for the system to process and not as hard on your body.

By the way, he told me a personal friend of his has been in a continual state of Ketosis for 15 years! and his health is fantastic and his numbers for all of his blood workups, tests etc. are always excellent.
There goes the theory that Atkins is bad for you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 20:40

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Wow! Sounds like those may be a great option! It's actually pretty easy on Atkins OWL to get all of the vitamins and minerals your body needs from your food, but there are times, I'm sure, when we're all running a little deficient in some area or another.

It's been my understanding that while chemical vitamins aren't the perfect solution, if they're taken right after eating a meal, the body absorbs them much better. I don't use them often (don't need to) but when I do I don't see yellow when I urinate. Of course drinking 1+ gallon of water a day likely as not waters everything down so much I'd never know!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 21:35
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

I had heard something on the news the other day about distilled water and the benefits of drinking it. Can I ask you what kind of vitamins you take now as opposed to previously? I'm curious about all of the different things that I put into my body and whether or not they are doing anything at all for me....
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 11:56

Stats: 278/258/175 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Vitamins etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josiekat
I had heard something on the news the other day about distilled water and the benefits of drinking it. Can I ask you what kind of vitamins you take now as opposed to previously? I'm curious about all of the different things that I put into my body and whether or not they are doing anything at all for me....

I used to take the Walmart viriety multis as well as some additional C and B vitamins.

I have come to find out that all vitamins are made by a few big drug companies so all of the hype about different vitamins being better than another are mostly bogus, the cheapest vitamins are the same as the most expensive regardless of what the sellers claim. (referring to the synthetic/chemical vitamins that is)

I was shocked to find out how and what synthetic vitamins are made of,
check this out.

Table 1. Composition of Food and Non-Food Vitamins [1-10]

This chart shows the Vitamin then the natural source it comes from then the chemical process that the drug companies use to make it.

Vitamin Food Nutrient* 'Natural' Vitamin Analogue & Some Process Chemicals

Vitamin A/Betacarotene Carrots Methanol, benzene, petroleum esters; acetylene; refined oils

Vitamin B-1 Nutritional yeast, rice bran Coal tar derivatives, hydrochloric acid; acetonitrole with ammonia

Vitamin B-2 Nutritional yeast, rice bran Synthetically produced with 2N acetic acid

Vitamin B-3 Nutritional yeast, rice bran Coal tar derivatives, 3-cyanopyridine; ammonia and acid

Vitamin B-5 Nutritional yeast, rice bran Condensing isobutyraldehyde with formaldehyde

Vitamin B-6 Nutritional yeast, rice bran Petroleum ester & hydrochloric acid with formaldehyde

Vitamin B-8 Corn, rice bran Phytin hydrolyzed with calcium hydroxide and sulfuric acid

Vitamin B-9 Alfalfa sprouts, rice bran Processed with petroleum derivatives and acids; acetylene

Vitamin B-12 Nutritional yeast Cobalamins reacted with cyanide

Vitamin 'B-x' PABA Nutritional yeast Coal tar oxidized with nitric acid (from ammonia)
Vitamin B Factor Choline Nutritional yeast, rice bran Ethylene and ammonia with HCL or tartaric acid

Vitamin C Acerola cherries, citrus fruits Hydrogenated sugar processed with acetone

Vitamin D Nutritional yeast Irradiated animal fat/cattle brains or solvently extracted

Vitamin E Corn, soy beans, vegetable oils Trimethylhydroquinone with isophytol; refined oils

Vitamin K Alfalfa sprouts Coal tar derivative; produced with p-allelic-nickel

Chemical vitamins are super cheap to manufacture so the big companies love to sell them to us.

Whole Food Vitamins are actually made from food products and in the case of
of the Standard Process line of vitamins they are grown organically and processed without harmful chemicals at a very low temperature so the vitamins don't get cooked out of the supplements.

There are other whole food supplements out there but I don't know anything about them but my nutritionist has checked out all of them and actually took a trip to the farms and manufacturing facilities of the Standard Process company so I trust what he tells me when he says they are the best.

As far as what I'm taking now its kind of hard to describe, most of the products are very unique, like for example I take a product called Super Beta Food that is eqivelent to eating 20 pounds of beets every day.

My nutritionist did a workup on me using my urine and saliva and determined what supplements I needed, its a very unique process.
The supplements are more expensive but the results are fabulous.