Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 12:20

Plan: south beach
Stats: 166.5/166.5/130 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default induction advice?

Hey People,

I've been doing induction for 6 days now and I've gained a pound. I've been searching the forums and am planning on cutting out the cheese as I really like it and it may be stopping the weight loss. My main question is though -- I'm really constipated and am wondering if it is OK to have some LC chocolate to move things along. I know it's not allowed during induction but I have tried so many things: I drink a TON of water every day, I take three spoonfuls of BeneFiber in water in the morning, I eat my veggies (more than the 3c since I was afraid to get constipated!), I walk my dog for 1/2 hour a day.

Typical day:

b - 4 eggs cooked in butter
l - green salad veggies, caesar dressing, deli turkey slices, 2 slices munsteur cheese
s - cucumber slices, cream cheese, olives, cheddar slice
d - green salad veggies, chicken cooked in olive oil.

Help! Any thoughts on what more I can do and if having some LC chocolate is a big problem?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 12:50

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

It is not good for you to be so constipated. There are several problems with the chocolate:
It might awaken cravings for choclate.
If you've ever eaten sugar alcohols before you might be aware that the results can be devastating - violent spasms and pain and gas and constant rushing to the loo.

I think you could increase the fibre even more and if this doesn't work take a mild herbal laxative.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 13:22
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I would take a "real" laxative rather than the chocolate, since the chocolate (for ME anyway) causes other, less desirable effects along WITH the laxative action. (hint:stand upwind)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 13:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 120/112/105 Female 5.1
BF:unsure
Progress: 53%

Hi MassGirl...I agree with Robert....the sugar alcohols can actually be painful. About a year ago I discovered the lc candy and stupidly ate three bags of 'gummy bears'--- I don't even want to tell you how sick I was. Anyways, I was also really constipated during my first week and began taking fibercon daily. It helps me a lot.

Your menu looks good, but I agree with you. If you are stalled, cut the cheese. Also, make sure there is no sugar in your salad dressings.
Good Luck!
Jenn
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 13:47

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Just a couple of things to add. Try Fitday.com to really track what you eat. And also, I just bought a food scale ($4 at Walmart) and it really helps to keep an eye on portion so you REALLY know how much you are eating. Best of luck!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 23:51

Stats: 255/254/190 Male 6 feet, 1 inch
BF:
Progress:
Default constipation

Hi there, i just started this thing and havent had much constipation. My recommendation is a nice cup of joe (Coffee)
I'm not sure if decaffinated coffee has the same bowel effects as caffinated coffee, you may want to research this. But if nothing else works you may want to give caffinated coffee a try.
I believe i just solved my induction stall problem by cutting out LC candy, while maintaining my coffee. It may be too early to tell for sure but i'm down 5 pounds and have been in ketosis since droping LC candy
If you drink the coffee make sure to down it with a decent amount of water too.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 02:02
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The weight gain could be in part to the constipation. Maybe get that taken careof and see where your at and how you feel.

Was your past diet really low on protien? It could be that your body is taking advantage of the new way of eating to repair damage first. Then it will move onto the weight loss. Measur eeverything to see if you start to lose inches before pounds. Remember though the constipation and hormones from TOM could cause bloating.

The candy would probably make things worse. I tried it once for constipation and ended up doubled over with massive gas cramps and only a little of what I wanted it to do. Not worth it to me.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 10:40

Stats: 302/296/200 Male 6'0"
BF:34%/34%/18%
Progress: 6%

Try ground flaxseed. To help me move things along, I went to a health food store and got a bag of whole ground flaxseed. I srinkle two tablespoons on my salads. It works for me and I've been very constipation prone since I've been LCing.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 13:38

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%

I sing the praises of psyllium husk, the only thing I have found that works for me. And don't stint! I take four heaping teaspoons in a large glass of water every day. Plus I drink four litres of water every day.
I find that when I am "bound" I seem to hold more water weight, too. That might be true of you as well.