Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 18:45

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%
Default 5K in June ?

so, I am a dedicated "I hate to run" person - but there is a local, non-competitive 5K nearby on June 5th. Currently I train on elliptical for my cardio - but might move outside to run after about 20 more lbs. Not because I expect to like running long distance, but I think everyone in reasonable shape should be able to do a 5K in a respectable time - and I have a 2004 goal to be one of these.

So runners, do you think a respectible time in a 5K can be reached by a non-runner by June? What is a reasonable time for a female aged 40-49? 30min, 25min, 35min?

please no "the best you can do is all you can do" or other well-meaning posts - I'm looking for what is a good target figure - and is it achieveable for a new runner by June - 2 separate questions really -

Last edited by LisaS : Mon, Feb-23-04 at 19:11.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 19:33

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

There are many programs for new runners - to achieve 5k in 10-12 weeks. Usually with a target time of 30 min (10 min/mile pace). I would recommend first to target the 30 min constant running, Then to see if there is time to improve speed. (9 min/mile pace - 27 min would be very good for a 40+ beginner.)

The basic problem is your legs (in any ages). Yes I know that you are a very well trained woman, so I am sure you have strong legs. The problem is the high impact, the pounding effect. (If you have any excess weight, it is worse.) Your legs need time to accustom to it. That is why it is recommended to start the training slowly.

(Runnersworld.com has an excellent 12 weeks program to achieve 5k/30 min in 12 weeks, but there are many other similar.)

It is only my 2c, based on my own experience and my readings.

Last edited by Galadriell : Mon, Feb-23-04 at 19:52.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 20:24

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

G,
since your profiles says you're in So Cal & you refer to John Wayne as "local airport" -- I assume you are in South County - have you ever tried the Corona Del Mar 5K ? This is the one I'm thinking of as it is in my backyard.

re: pounding - this is why I want to lose 20 more before running - the pounding would just slay me at this point - my I get my HR into 150-160 for 20-25 mins straight on the elliptical (alternate with HIIT) so I think that 30 mins of running (however far that turns out to be) will be a doable first goal - with 5K in however long it takes as a 2nd goal <G>
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 21:09

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oh Corona Del Mar - it seems you are on the other side of the John Wayne airport (debate) :-)

I found the last years results, here:
http://www.runnersimage.com/rr/rr_cal5k.htm
It seems that a 10 min/mile pace already very good. In female 40-44 division it was enough to be among the best 10.

I started to run only last January, and it was a principal for me to have the first race I participate a Marine half-Marathon - to honor, and to run with my Marine Marathoner son. So I have not had any race before 2003 September - though Corona Del Mar would have been a wonderful place to race.

But it seems that our newly discovered weekend running courses are in your backyard too:-))) (The horse/bike trails along the San Diego Creek, around the Newport Upper Bay.)

Eva
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 23:11

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Be careful with your joints if you're carrying a lot of extra pounds. The last thing you want to do is damage your knees or ankles by trying to get into shape! Be careful to work up to your goal gradually so that, as already suggested, your legs can adapt without any injuries.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 23:42

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

One more thing I learned from experience. If you're getting your endurance up with an elliptical machine, be sure to add some strengthening exercises for your tibialis anterior muscles and hip flexors. You don't use these muscles on an elliptical, but trust me on this, you NEED them to run! I learned this the hard (and painful) way!

Check out http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html to find exercises that you can use for these muscles.