Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 05:06

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%
Default Protein Power Pals--Wed, Nov. 12

Just starting thread....BRB
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 05:16

Hi everyone! Today is the day of my next "procedure." My mom will be coming to pick me up to go with me downtown to the big, scary hospital. I've been so busy I haven't had much time to think about it, but I am starting to get a little nervous. I was so surprised yesterday. The teachers I team with bought me flowers! It was so sweet. I don't remember the last time someone got me flowers. I don't even own a vase. They are sitting now in the biggest container I had....a thermos

Weight is holding steady at 152, which is quite impressive considering the higher cal/fat meal I ate two nights ago when I went out to eat with DF (is that what I should call him? DF, for designated friend?) I had chicken fajitas and loaded on the guacamole and cheddar and ate a salad with full-fat dressing and blue cheese/almonds on it. I was back up 0.5 lbs yesterday, but they came right back off this morning after another normal day of eating yesterday. It's almost scary how in control I am right now, seemingly being able to have little "indulgences" and having the discipline to get right back on track and seeing no damage as a result. Not only is my body finally started to fix itselt, but my brain apparently is starting to do so as well!

This week was my first week of upping calories in my attempt to maintain. I've lost a lb so far as a side effect. Friday I am planning on upping my calories again, to 1300, which is where I was before starting this whole LFL escapade. My carbs right now are at 55g total per day, and I never thought I could get them that high. It seems like the key for me in the end was to start with them higher. Whenever I cut them really low in the beginning, I could never get them back up. But going from this direction, my results have finally been successful. I started out with carbs around 50, but calories really low. And now basically I am just upping my calories, and mostly from adding back some fats and nuts. This seems to be working for me, and it might be something to consider for any of you who have been struggling.

I am going to post this now and then I will respond to all you wonderful people
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 05:34

Grady-I had forgotten about the whole transition to maintennance at 5% from goal, b/c I never thought I would ever be there. But using 145 as my goal, I am within that range right now, which is really scary. I guess I sort of am doing that transition right now, seeing how much I can up things without gaining, but after Thanksgiving, I think I am going to do another two weeks of trying to lose again, and dip back down on the calories. It sounds like this whole lower calorie thing has been working better for you as well. Isn't it amazing how you can be content on that few calories? I never thought it was possible, but the key seems to be the adequate protein.

Renee-Great news about the MRI! I am so happy for you. It's amazing how connected I feel to you and the other people here, and we've never even met. I get awfully scared for you, and it just doesn't get any better than news like that

Elaine-Hang in there with the current frustrations. People don't just lie and tell you you look thinner, so they must be seeing something that you've not yet noticed

Ellie-Hope you feel better!

Marjorie-Congrats on all your hard work and success. I agree that I don't really have much desire to reincorporate bread items at this point in my journey. I also eat fruit once or twice per day now, and I've had to become more creative now without all the juicy berries. I will often eat half a small apple or half an orange or a plum. I haven't had any problems with these.

Robin-This WOE definitely helps calm/eliminate most digestive disorders. It's one of the greatest side effects!

Someone asked what I eat in a protein day (oops I forget who and don't want to go digging), so here goes....Basically I just consume ~9-10 servings that are mostly lean protein, spaced at least an hour apart during the day. Some options for a serving include:
-1/2 c. lowfat cottage cheese
-1/2 c. lowfat yogurt with a couple slices turkey
-1 HB egg + 1 HB white
-2 oz turkey or roast beef lunchmeat wrapped around a light string cheese stick
-3 oz bagged tuna/salmon + 2 T. lowfat yogurt
-3 oz lean ground beef
I always make several of my mini-meals cottage cheese or yogurt-based, to make sure that I get at least 20g carbs. I try to shoot for higher, otherwise I don't feel too well. I hope this helps!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 08:29

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Good morning from soggy Eastern Pa.

Wendy, I am so happy that your WOE is producing results for you. It's so much fun when a whole bunch of things seem to click at the same time-WOE, DF, etc. Wanted to wish you much luck with your procedure

Sick as a dog today but I am at work. The good news-I am eating on plan.The bad news-I haven't been able to exercise unless you count sneezing and coughing. (This isn't the flu as a result of my shot; this is whatever is going around at work. Everyone in my area has it)Don't think I'll see anything on the scale but at least I know I am eating healthy. Bfast today was turkey ham and swiss rollups, AM snack was an Atkins muffin with pb. Lunch is Cream of Mystery soup again(leftover chicken, broccoli,broth and cream) with salad. Also brought a little yogurt with a piece of apple cut up and mixed with carmel and vanilla Davinci syrups. PM snack will be a choc Keto shake.

That's about as chatty as I'll be for a while but I'll drop by to read.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 09:04

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Wendy, thanks for starting the thread. All the bosses are in a meeting most of the day, so I have a chance to post.

It does sound like everything's going your way lately. Love the visual of flowers in a thermos! Pretty inventive, if you ask me!

Probably over the course of a day, I'm eating about the same as you. I don't like eating so often, though (leftover bad habits regarding portion control), so I pretty much eat 3 meals a day, and maybe a snack. This is what I typically have:

Breakfast:
Either 1 full egg plus 2 egg whites fried in 1 pat butter, with 1 slice low-carb toast (6 - 9 grams, depending on brand) and 1 pat butter. OR, Carb Solutions protein powder shake (2 scoops, for about 20 grams protein) with 1/4 cup half-and-half for oomph.

Lunch:
4 - 6 ounces leftover meat from last night's dinner. Sometimes I have a cup of green beans or a salad, other times I just do the meat.

Snack:
2 or 3 ham-and-swiss rollups. Each consists of 1 ounce of ham and 1/2 ounce of Swiss.

Dinner:
4 - 6 ounces meat. Sometimes I have a cup of green beans or a salad, other times I just do the meat.

That's about it lately. Oh, and I've been limiting myself to 1 Irish Whiskey a night (about 3 - 4 ounces). No carbs, but calories are about 65 per ounce. A girl's gotta have a few vices, right?

Elaine, sorry to hear you're under the weather. By the way, I make Mystery Soup, too, but I don't use the blender. I usually take a can of chicken broth, add a can of chunk chicken (like tuna, except chicken), some broccoli or asparagas, and some parsley. Very tasty.

See you all later!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 10:36

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I had another great day yesterday - no breathing problems so maybe my system fought off the infection

Hubby took today off - has a dental appointment later - he is out doing heaven knows what to the yard - I guess I'll have to go guard my bushes from pruning (we haven't had a frost yet so they aren't quite ready for their annual 'manicure'

Ladies, we need to organize a posse and go hunt down the Yeti.... it's been 72 hours - shall we file a missing yeti report?

Wendy:
My prayers are with you - please let us know you're OK when you're able.

Giggled about the flowers in the thermos.

Great news re: your losses lately and your new friend. It certainly seems you have found what your body wanted and needed. I will be trying the lower calorie / frequent meal thing in earnest once I get the surgery out of the way. For now, the changes I've had to make in reducing protein and upping carbs are more than enough. I will lower fat after the surgery.

Elaine (ewinpa):
Sorry to hear the cold is still with you - coughing and sneezing are pretty good exercise for the abs.

Cream of Mystery soup I've been known to make that - especially back when I was on Atkins - and when I had the broken jaw and my mouth was wired shut for 10 weeks. True to form, I gained three pounds with my mouth wired . (I'm sure it was because I had to use so much cream to make the stuff taste decent enough to get me to eat it )

Glad to hear the LC store is opening near your bank - the price of LC foods seems to be dropping as the competition increases.

Robin:
So glad to see you. I was getting worried. I had some problems getting on the board several times as well. I think they may have done some software upgrading in the past few days - I've noticed a few minor changes in how things work.

Improvement of heartburn and reflux problems were among the many medical conditions that improved in the studies done last year on those using LC WOEs - its no wonder the medical establishment is so slow to adopt this - it will cut way back on our need for their services and their drugs.

Bawdy:
Fell off my chair laughing about your new exercise program.... just don't take too long to get back to it - you know what starting over after months and months is like - feel like someone treated you like this

Also re: hubby buying you the necklace and you buying him the latest cool tool.

Happy 25th anniversary.

Ellie (Chamellie):
Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well - maybe the rain I saw heading your way on the weather channel will wash away the allergy producing stuff.

Marjorie (Marnie):
Love your attitude and quiet strength.

I have been amazed at the pricing on a lot of the LC stuff - especially Atkins and Keto-stuff - especially when I look at the ingredients. I make most of my food from scratch - even my mayo is homemade with canola oil and egg beaters these days (something your daughter might want to consider given her special circumstances). I'm trying my hand at homemade sugar-free jams tomorrow - wish me luck.

Rebecca (OneEye):
How are you doing these days? Know you were getting back to Curves and going to get back to the WOE - how's that going?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 13:28

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Still feeling icky today I am at work but wish I could be in bed. I had to take some xanax to ward off a panic attack which is often triggered by my vertigo. In case you don't know what vertigo is, imagine being drunk and having bed spins. It is not real bad but enough to make me nausiated most of the time. The rain is not helping, the windshield wipers in the car make me dizzy. Of course today is the day I have to pick DD up from school and take her to the doctor and the school is on the opposite side of town than the doctor. OK....Pity party is now over

Wendy - My prayers are with you today Hope all goes well with your procedure. You are doing such an amazing job, WTG staying in control.

Elaine - Hope you feel better soon Keep up the good eating

Orang - Unfortunately, the rain makes my allergies worse. It is the humidity, not sure why. Glad your feeling better

Re LC products - There are rediculously priced, but I do pay for some things. My beloved Keto choco crispies are $5.49 a box. Interesting enough, Frys is now carrying Aunt Hauties Low Carb bread at $3.59 a loaf. Not bad and the slices are much bigger than the other breads but I think I will save my money a continue to by the same brand 9 grain light for $1.89 per loaf.

to everyone I missed
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 15:21

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi All!

Just thought I would catch up on how everyone is doing!

Wendy, Prayers to you, you are not alone!! It is wonderfull on how much positive things have been for you,(it will offset the neg.s!)
Just keep focusing on all the good thingsF, Your team at school, your continuing weightloss,the good feeling of control, your pals here at this site!
Thanks for the protein ideas! Take care and keep us updated on what you find out!

Orang, Glad to hear the good news about the mri! It sounds like your life is to fast-paced to be down for to long! Just wanted to let you know how much you make us laugh here, you are the spark to this site, and have really brightened my day on alot of occasions!
ps, Yes the calves become like pets, infact I will have a few that I name and when they grow up still know their names and will come and eat out of my hand! I quit doing that with the bulls, when they grow up and try to butt at you ,watch-out! this is my favorite time of the year-working with the calves!

Bw, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! I just love how you picked your gifts out, I showed this to my dh, thought it was a good idea!HA And yes I did get a good chuckle with the ala-orange joke! I had also not had the chance to tell you how sweet it was that you was the wake-up caller, aawww!! My dh said, you should remember that if I am ever away sometime! Thanks for your menus, it does help give you good ideas when you are in a menu rut!

Elaine, sorry to hear that you are still under the weather,mystery soup huh?? btw, I had read an article about how the scent of vanilla is calming and they used it with mri patients, it helped keep them relaxed which made the procedure go better! (just a thought!) bath and body has a great vanilla scent out, I might add! What part of Pa do you live? my sis lives in pa too!

Elli, hope that you will be getting over the ickys soon! You are right about alot of lc products being high priced, I do try to stretch my stuff out, I will be glad when more things come to SD, I like the breads, but I try to only have it on very few ocasions!Osolo has great hamberger buns, when we had a big cook-out awhile ago, I just put a burger on it and felt like a normal person!HA

Well I need to get going for now!
BIG HELLO to Marjorie, OneEye,ROB(where IS the yeti??????) and to everyone else here!!!

Last edited by Lissette : Wed, Nov-12-03 at 15:22.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 21:12

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

Wendy - sounds like you are doing great!! You said you are on LFL....is that Lean for Life, the bodybuilding program? I have followed Body for Life/Body Rx before, so I am somewhat familiar with that WOE.

ewinpa - I hope you feel better!! I haven't been able to work out in over a week because I pulled something in my elbow area....I am hoping to get back to the gym next week

Bawdy - are you following LFL also?

Orang - yes, for some reason the site was acting up for me and I could not get on!! I was worried it would be permanent!!

One thing I have noticed also in regards to this WOE is that I don't even want carby things like tortillas and bread anymore!! Now if I could conquer those darned lattes and tortilla chips

Robin