Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 21:17

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Soy Grits

I was looking at older threads and found Soy Grits mentioned as being similar to couscous. I used to love couscous and would like to try the soy grits but have absolutely NO idea how to cook them, where to get them, what kind of package they come in, etc. I did a search already and read all I could. Someone help?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 21:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 128/122/112 Female 5ft1"
BF:Not sure!
Progress:
Default Soy Grits, TVP...

Hi there I read your message regarding soy grits. I have just gone out and bought some TVP which is a soy protien product so I think it is the same product but just a different name. I've just used my search engine and found out it is the same product. This is an extract taken from the site I was on and I have given you the website address so you can have a look at it. I typed in Soy grits recipes and it came up with 42 so that should get you started... Just copy the address and paste it in your address bar on your web page...

Hope it helps...

Nancye....

PS: I know I'll be using that adress from now on, taught me plenty!!

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshe...523,135,00.html

Texturized Vegetable Protein (TVP): TVP is a highly nutritious substance derived from isolated protein extracted from soybeans. Low in fat and rich in protein, TVP adds flavor and texture to foods. TVP is often added to an endless variety of foods such as sauces, casseroles, stews, seafood dishes, meat, and cereals. TVP absorbs flavors well and is available in powder form, chunks, slices, and granules. Dehydrated TVP has a long shelf-life, and may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three months. Once the TVP is rehydrated, make sure to refrigerate it, and use it within a few days after rehydration.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 22:19
Registered Member

Progress:
Default No it's not a good site...

Just been going over that site I suggested and it has nothing; it promised tvp and soy grits recipes but it's not what I'm after at all so sorry about that...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 01:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 320/260/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

You can find a "basic soy grits" as well as a couple of other recipes at https://www.bobsredmill.com/recipe/.

Just select "soy grits" from the drop down menu and it will pull up all the recipes for that ingredient.

You can buy it online there, but large grocery store chains usually have a gourmet/organic section that carries at least some of the Bob's Red Mill products. If not, try health food/organic food stores.

There are also a couple of recipes at Sherrie's site:

http://headed-west.com/snacks33.htm
http://headed-west.com/meat22.htm
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 01:49
Registered Member

Progress:

Hi Charlene, (ncrsuhing)...

I'm on my way to that site now; so thanks for that...

I'm going to experiment with TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) chunks tonight for the first time, so it's going to be interesting...

Catcha...
Nancye...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 02:52
Registered Member

Progress:

Charlene,
Decided to make chilli concarne, lets see how I go but not sure about carbs here!!!

Nancye...
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 17:40

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Well I had soy grits for breakfast with some butter and salt...Wasnt THAT bad...I added some DaVinci...It was okay..I think I have to be in the mood for something like that cuz I loveeee my eggs in the morning. I just made it the way the back of the bag said, but I baked them first like someone suggested to help get rid of the soy taste, and just like they said...it smelled like Kelloggs cereal in the oven. My mom was like, it smells like shredded wheat!! I didnt eat all of it though.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 19:19
Registered Member

Progress:

Hello there...

Well I made the chillie Concarne last night and it was yummo!! but the only problem was I had some rice with it, very naughty but next time will have it with cauliflower chunks or maybe butter beans, me thinks...

My next meal is going to be tinned but drained butter beans drizzled in butter and garlic over bok choy, can't wait, coz they are very low in carbs, well so my carb counter tells me so I am gunna eat them for my next meal...

Don't think I could handle the way you tried it though, fried wid budder, yakkie!!! Yeah I wuv my googies too, with plenty of bacon to go!!

Byee Nancye...
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 23:02
Registered Member

Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by el corazón
Well I had soy grits for breakfast with some butter and salt...Wasnt THAT bad...I added some DaVinci...It was okay..I think I have to be in the mood for something like that cuz I loveeee my eggs in the morning. I just made it the way the back of the bag said, but I baked them first like someone suggested to help get rid of the soy taste, and just like they said...it smelled like Kelloggs cereal in the oven. My mom was like, it smells like shredded wheat!! I didnt eat all of it though.

Hi Charlene...

Is that your correct name, however if it's not then I apologise...

I have a dear friend who is a Seventh Day Adventist and she's a wonderful inspiration to the people like ourselves, who are not meat eaters; they only eat what is grown from the earth, nothing more nothing less in her case.

Not only does choose to be a vegan she sells only organic produce i.e. vegetables ,grains, beans, legumes the works and because I had never heard of Soy protein until the other day, i.e. I think you mentioned it to me, but anyway I emailed her and asked her what it was etc, ect and did she sell this stuff; which she does.

The way she prepares, Soy grits or TVP (Soy Protein):: She said; preferably it needs to be soaked in some garlic, onion powder, leek or other flavours before cooking or when cooking it...some people soak it in water, then they discard the water then let them drain and then cook in with other flavours....hoping this helps, as it has me!!

Cya later...
Nancye

PS: I don't like Kellogs cereal, yakkeeeeeeeeee!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 23:10
Registered Member

Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by el corazón

Sorry forgot to mention....

The soaking in the garlic etc, ect, ect takes away the soy taste away but I honestly couldn't taste it when I made the chilli concarne last night. I sprinkled it or was it covered, yeah it was covered, like heaps!!...lol...with cheddar cheese, nummy, nummy, nummy!!

Cya again...
Nancye

The carbs went out the door with that meal I think, not sure but I'm learning....