Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 11:02
Leeloo Wannabe

Plan: Maint./Low GI (good carb)
Stats: 143/135/135 Female 5'8"
BF:25.6%/21.9%/>20%
Progress: 100%
Default Oven Roasted Fall Squash Soup - can it be done?

Hi again Karen!

I was at a wedding yesterday and they served the most AMAZING soup, it was called "Oven Roasted Fall Squash Soup" and the description was:
"Prepared with shallots, chicken stock, a hint of curry and garnished with creme fresh". It was so delicious and I thought it it were made with yellow summer squash (?) it would be a great LC recipe. But, still learning how to be creative with LC cooking, I thought I'd seek out some guidance from the goddess of the kitchen, you!

Would you know how this soup was created or how one might do a LC version of it?

Also, DH and I were relaxing on the couch flipping through our respective magazines (Fitness for me, House & Home for him - LOL!) and he says "HEY!!!! LOOK WHO IT IS!!!" and turns his open page to me and LO and BEHOLD, Karen Barnaby!! It was the Dec 2001/Jan 2002 issue (we stockpile them!) and it was a full page picture of you with a recipe on the opposite page for "Karen Barnaby's Top Sirloin Steaks with Peppers and Onions" Very cool!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 01:18
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

It can be done, and it's LC! Yellow summer squash looks like this: Summer Squash. Yellow zucchini and yellow pattypan are also summer squash.

Trim, cut it in half, toss with olive oil and roast it at 400F until it's tender. Shouldn't take any more than 1/2 hour. Saute chopped shallots in butter until tender, add cauliflower - you're using this to thicken the soup so you don't need a ton - and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and add curry powder. Simmer until the cauliflower is tender then add the squash and puree. Season to taste.

Creme fraiche is cultured sour cream. To make it, try to find sour cream with the least amount of do-do in it - Liberty is good - and mix three parts whipping cream to one part sour cream. Cover and let sit in a warm place overnight. Refrigerate. It becomes thicker as it sits in the fridge and unlike sour cream, can be whipped just like whipped cream. If you don't want to go to the bother, use sour cream instead.
Quote:
and it was a full page picture of you with a recipe on the opposite page for "Karen Barnaby's Top Sirloin Steaks with Peppers and Onions" Very cool!!
Yeah, that was a Campbell's Beef Stock ad campaign and my first national exposure. It was in all the Telemedia magazines.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Mon, Sep-22-03 at 01:22.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 02:58
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
... Yeah, that was a Campbell's Beef Stock ad campaign and my first national exposure. It was in all the Telemedia magazines.

Including Chatelaine ... and we just happen to have the picture posted in the Research/Media forum

Check it out .. KAREN IN CHATELAINE THIS MONTH!!

(ignore the mashed potatoes comment )

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 12:09
Leeloo Wannabe

Default Yummmm!

Thanks Karen, that sounds wonderful (and do-able!!) I think I'll probably skip the creme fraiche and just do the sour cream on top if I'm just doing it for me and DH. We usually host a Thanksgiving meal with friends who don't have family in town (and as another excuse to have friends over!!), so this will definitely be on my menu (and I'll probably attempt the creme fraiche for them!)

I'll give the soup a try before then though, to figure out quantities. Do you have any guidelines you think would work? Now that the fall chill is in the air, I can't wait to give this a go!

Thanks again!

Lily

PS: WOW! You were in all those magazines! That's awesome Karen! Awesome, and very well deserved recognition!

- L
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 00:36
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Do you have any guidelines you think would work?
Use 1/4 cauliflower to 3/4 zucchini and use less chicken stock than you think you might need. You can always add some more later it the soup is too thick.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 15:45
Leeloo Wannabe

Default Grazie

Perfect! Thanks Karen! I'm going to try it this weekend. I am addicted to going to the grocery store and buying WAYY more than we need or can eat, so I'm not letting myself buy the squash until we've eaten the cauliflower, broccoli and bok choi this week (along with bags of spinach, romaine, and green lettuce) - OI! I cooked the daikon last night with your "Daik-atato" recipe. OMG, I love it! To add to my "Veggies I love but had never been aquainted with before" list, I can add Spinach, Bok Choi and now DAIKON! And I never liked cauli before and now I love it! Weird. Anyway, very O.T., but thanks again for your help!

Lily
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 08:57
Forum Founder

BF:

You can roast daikon too, just like potatoes. I like it simmered in beef soup...

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 16:05
Leeloo Wannabe

Another wonderful idea! Thanks Karen, my recipe file is growing and growing!