Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 08:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/177/178 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default Oatmeal

I feel like I read somewhere that oatmeal was ok to add back to you diet once you were close to your goal weight. It's definitely not low carb but it's suppose to have a minimal affect on your blood glucose levels.

I've been eating the Keto Hot Cereal but at $7 a pop I'd rather eat oatmeal at $3.

It's suppose to be mega healthy and I feel like I remeber reading as long as you get the slow cook kind that its alright. When I was at the store I saw the microwave kind and the barrel kind that say cooks in one minute and I know this must be a No No! They also had the barrel that read 5 minutes with constent stirring. I'm assuming this is the slow cook kind.

Please help!!!

I want to get a definitive answer before I introduce oatmeal into my diet. I've lost 40lbs and am only 10 lbs to my goal but don't want to mess myself up

Thanks!!!

Kurt
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 10:30
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

You didn't say which low carb plan you're following. The Zone recommends slow cooked oatmeal several times a week. (But that's not really a low-carb plan). This is because oatmeal apparently has essential nutrients that aren't easily found in other foods. But as far as I know, Atkins, PP, and other plans that don't factor in the glycemic index do not suggest eating oatmeal.

However, because I'm avoiding soy, I eat slow cooked oatmeal twice a week. Portion size, about 2/3 of a cup. I haven't noticed any bad effects on weight. But it does have a lot of carbs--about 14 net carbs per serving of that size. So I'd say, if you can afford the carbs, it's a good food to have occasionally.

And BTW, slow cooked oatmeal takes about half an hour to cook. The stuff you saw is probably the "quick cook" oatmeal. ("Instant" reconstitutes almost immediately).

Last edited by RoseTattoo : Fri, Jul-25-03 at 10:31.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 10:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Thumbs up

Steel cut oats, a.k.a. Scotch Oats and whole oat groats are low glycemic .. quick oats and rolled oats tend to be pre-steamed and this processing makes them more quickly digested and therefore higher glycemic -- ie, more rapid impact on blood sugar.

Atkins permits whole grains such as oatmeal during the pre-maintenance phase ... a half-cup cooked portion is considered 10g net carbs. Check out How to Do Pre-Maintenance, from the Atkins Center website.

hth,

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 12:13

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

I love the keto-type cereal -- look at the ingredients -- you can approximate it by mixing flaxmeal(I use 3 oz) and wheat bran(I use 1 oz). I also like to add a good sprinkle of flax seeds(I add about 1 T). Add boiling water, then sweeten to taste with Splenda and add a bit of half and half or cream. Frequently I'll stir in 3-4 ounces of strawberries/blueberries.

It's really inexpensive this way -- particularly if you buy the flaxmeal and wheat bran in bulk (I get mine from Central Market, I'm sure that Whole Foods and other similar stores would also have bins of it).

I also like steel-cut oats -- another thing that I found is a LOT cheaper if I buy it bulk. I sometimes have a bowl when I feel I can tolerate the carbs. It takes about 45 minutes to cook -- but you can make up a huge batch, then refrigerate -- simply dish up how much you want in the morning and nuke it -- I've kept it for perhaps 5 days with no goining bad.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 12:57

Stats: 228/177/178 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default Thanks!!!

Thank you ALL for your help. This group is always so willing to help out and I greatly appreciate all the help

Kurt