Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 05:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241/179/182 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 105%
Unhappy Decaf caused a stall

I dont know if I am imagining things, but I spent the first week and a half of induction still drinking regular coffee, (with cream and 1 splenda) and lost weight consistently. Finally I gave in and went to decaf coffee and my weight loss stalled two days later. After about 10 days I went back to regular coffee, and my weight started coming off again the very next day.

Coincidence?? During the whole period my eating patterns did not change at all, except for the coffee. I have remained on induction levels throughout my time doing Atkins. No additional foods at all. No change in exercise patterns.

Am I imagining things, or is this some type of proof different things work for different people.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 06:01

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Yes, it's a coincidence, because you WEREN'T stalled! A stall is defined as going four weeks (not twelve days) without weightloss or a loss in inches. One cannot always expect there to be consistent downward movement on the scale. One must account for daily fluctuations, that is why it is recommended to weigh once a week or to weigh every day and to average out the weights for the week. It is just this kind of info that is causing newbies out there to think that EVERYTHING will stall them and it's just not true!

Last edited by paradise : Tue, May-20-03 at 12:30.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 07:43

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi Notty,

Your body takes breaks to catch up with itself. So while it seemed like a stall, it was your body just catching its breath.

I'd like to encourage you to take measurements and check them every week or two, you will see a loss in inches when you don't see a loss on the scales. You could also get out a pair of your favorite old jeans and use those to measure yourself.

During induction you lose quicker, this is not a quick weight loss program, but a way of teaching you to eat and get to know your body as you lose weight. I think if people lose weight slower they keep it off better in the long run.

Keep your carbs at your level by eating dark vegetables that are on your list. I like the darker leaf lettuces, they have more flavor. You can use them for wraps for sandwiches and all kinds of things.

You're doing great. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Debi
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 10:20

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I vote for the coincidence theory too.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 05:37
Registered Member

BF:

Yeah, thats what I thought, just a coincidence.

And BTW, Paradise, the post wasn't presented as INFO, it was presented as a question from someone new to this WOE. In my opinion it is the holier than thou, patronising responses of so called 'senior members' like you, rather than supportive information, which is likely to put new members off. Thank the Lord for other members who patiently deal with stupid questions from the likes of me.

Last edited by Notty : Wed, May-21-03 at 05:40.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 06:36

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Notty, I am sorry I responded in that tone. It's just that I was so angry, because I perceived you were gloating over decaf as being a staller, when you were not, and I just came off a very frustrating 5 1/2 month stall. I promise to be more helpful in future posts. Happy LCing!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 03:47
Registered Member

BF:

Paradise,

I likewise offer a sincere and unreserved apology for the tone of my reply.

I am celebrating my weight loss on this WOE and upon thinking about it, there is nothing wrong with the occasional kick in the rear end.

At least you have ensured I will never forget the definition of a stall!!!!!!!

Good luck on the journey and feel free to set me straight in your straightforward manner.

Notty

Last edited by Notty : Thu, May-22-03 at 03:49.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 08:50

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Caffeine

I have always drank regular coffee and I have consistently lost weight. So I also think that you can conclude, Notty, that caffeine does not effect you like it does many. I have been thinking about mixing decaf and regular to atleast reduce the caffeine consumption. I drink alot of coffee. Hey, maybe we can come up with a coffee diet. Ummmm good to the last drop.

Black57
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 09:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I have found a lite coffee (1/2 the caffeine) and then add something like a sinfully cinnamon tea bag -- the flavor is good and it's less caffeine if you are trying to cut down on caffeine.