Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 02:01

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Whole Baked Salmon with Mayonnaise Crust?

Karen, Have you ever heard of baking a whole salmon with mayonnaise spread over the top and served chilled? I have been hunting for a recipe, but no dice so far..

I have a 4-lb (I think) whole salmon in the freezer and was thinking this would be just the ticket to take to work on Thursday for a potluck lunch. Unfortunately, we don't have a stove there to heat things and the microwave is ancient too... Can you help me out? I don't know if this is possible at all or how long to bake the fish or at what temperature....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 13:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanyyy
Karen, Have you ever heard of baking a whole salmon with mayonnaise spread over the top and served chilled? I have been hunting for a recipe, but no dice so far..

I have a 4-lb (I think) whole salmon in the freezer and was thinking this would be just the ticket to take to work on Thursday for a potluck lunch. Unfortunately, we don't have a stove there to heat things and the microwave is ancient too... Can you help me out? I don't know if this is possible at all or how long to bake the fish or at what temperature....
greetings, Jeanyyy. I think I've heard of this one but done with a whole filet of salmon (skin & bones removed). and it can be served chilled, indeed, so you don't need to warm it up.

Try this recipe:
http://www.diet.recipes-to-go.com/Baked_Salmon_With_Horseradish_Mayonnaise.htm (warm)
or this recipe:
http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_9437,00.html (chilled)
and try this fun cooks' search page, something tells me you'll like it!
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,salmon+mayonaise,FF.html
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 01:05

BF:

Thank you, Judi.. I appreciate your efforts to help! I had actually found those sites (and looked through a LOT of the recipes listed) and none were quite what I was looking for. I remember the salmon being baked IN the mayonnaise, which forms a sort of a crust (I think). Well, I will experiment during the holidays since Thursday is upon me and I ended up with a ham to take in tomorrow!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 02:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey! You missed my LC dessert class tonight!

There is salmon that's cooked and then covered with a gelitan spiked mayonnaise that goes under the term of chaud-froid. It's old French cooking and kind of a pain in the butt.

Here'e a stunning example.

You can bake filets with mayo, but a whole fish wouldn't be worth it. The mayo would just sit on top and do nothing for the salmon underneath.

What I would do is spray a piece of foil with nonstick spray put the salmon on it and and add a big glug of white wine and sprinkle it inside and out with salt. Wrap it up, leaving some headroom to steam and bake for about 45 minutes. Let it cool in the foil, transfer to a serving dish, chill, then serve with one of the sauces Judi suggested. Make sure it's thawed all the way first.

If you're feeling ambitious, peel off the top layer of skin - while the salmon is still warm - and when it's cool, lay on thinly sliced cucumber to look like scales and garnish festively with sprigs of dill.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 10:40

BF:

WOW that picture IS stunning.. but your idea, especially with the cucumber sounds really cool, too! Hmmmm might just have to take a stab at that when DBF is here during the holidays...
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 17:33

BF:

I did miss the dessert class! Trying to cut back on expenses and get my credit card level down, but I'll be back come the New Year! Have a wonderful holiday, Karen, and a very Happy New Year!

PS I could have sworn I posted this the other day, but can't find it now!