Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:30

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Big Fat Fake

A rebuttal to the Gary Taubes New York Times Magazine article from last July

http://www.reason.com/0303/fe.mf.big.shtml
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 16:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%

Reason magazine promises a rebuttal by Taubes.

Sheldon
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 19:48
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

The Author, Mr. Fumento is a lawyer, and member of a big lobbying firm. He also attempted a similar attack on Atkins a couple of month ago, using the same tactics and arguments, "look how much money Dr. Atkins made from selling his book, see how much Taubes is making", etc.

The focus on their success as an argument, is mainly due to Fumento's failure when we wrote his own book, ironically it was against low-fat diets.

Now there's an 180 degree change in attacking "high-fat" diets, probably due to serving different clients of his firm?

Mr. Fumento's technique and argumentative style is pure circular thinking, which is quite expected from a lawyer. This isn't a slam against lawyers at all, it's just what they do and what they're good at.

You have a guilty client with all the evidence against him, so what any decent lawyer would do is throw some doubt on the evidence, throw some hypotheticals, and what-if scenarios, twist things as much as possible, in the hope of casting some reasonable doubt to vindicate his client.

The main point of most diatribes against Taube's article was that he "misquoted" researchers, and they are upset with him. Do you know why?

When researchers find low-carb is healthy, and you lose more weight, and it lowers your cholesterol, which Fumeto admits, the researchers always add a little conclusion saying, "yes, these are our findings, but you should still follow the low-fat diet".

He didn't misquote them! He simply cited the facts from the research and the findings, and ignored their opinions on they "think" is healthy.

So, when we run around saying this is what they found, they object "that's not what we concluded, we recomment a healthy diet" This is an ongoing irony, research finds something interesting, but researchers conclud something else, since the results are contrary to what they expected and what they thought was healthy.

And Mr. Fumento plays on this contradiction quite well.

I'm looking forward to Gary's rebuttal, even thought I think he has better things to do with his time

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 07:49

I appreciate this reply, but more needs to be done in response, and I hope Gary Taubes does it in his rebuttal. After all, Fumento went beyond merely quoting Taubes's sources as saying they were misquoted in the NYT article. He also charges Taubes with ignoring studies that go against his thesis and not presenting the views of those who say that the insulin theory is wrong and that a calorie of fat is equal to a calorie of carbs.

In other words, we can't rest content with pointing out Fumento's vested interest, if he has one, or the shallow complaints of researchers who are unhappy that their work seems to support Atkins.

I have been around long enough know that charges can look very strong--until they are rebutted. Taubes is a respected science writer, and I find it hard to believe he would have done what Fumento charges him with. So I am eager to read his reply.

Sheldon
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 21:41
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Article

If the Taubes article was biased or inaccurate, yours is even worse. You seem to have such an axe to grind that you exceed the bounds of reason. In all this arguing over minute details I have yet to see any so called medical intellect out there relate the faulty and unnatural high carbohydrate diet they are recommending to the evolutionary development of homo sapiens. We are not an old species, and the radical changes we have made to our diets in the past 10,000 years do not seem to have helped us at all. Anyone who recommends a high starch diet is simply not in touch with the species.

Like it or not, followed properly, Atkins works; and leaner is better.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 22:53
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheldon
I appreciate this reply, but more needs to be done in response, and I hope Gary Taubes does it in his rebuttal.

Sheldon, if you're that patient with Fumento's fumentation, then I'll be patient too. You've corresponded with him before, and know quite well the tricks he uses.

Fumento's anger and frustration at Taube's can be summerized in this little quote from his fumenting piece

Quote:
But even here Taubes is no pioneer; the damage caused by fat-free fanaticism was pointed out long before. (See, for example, my own 1997 book, The Fat of the Land.)

The thing is, I'd be happy to read another gem from Taubes, but at the same time, I'd be sad to see him descend to the level of Fumento, who argues in terms of book sales and salaries, and doesn't care to provide meaningful facts and/or relevant studies.

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 08:33

I have little patience with Fumento. His prickly way of responding to people who don't agree with him gives me a bad feeling about the man.

Note that his article dismisses Atkins's use of the word "revolutionary" by saying that William Banting wrote about the same kind of diet in the 19th century. (Fumento doesn't challenges Banting's claim of success.) That's a petty criticism. Banting's ideas were not well known when Atkins came along. Atkins revived them, spelled out the rationale, and provided the specifics that enable many people to adopt that way of eating. It's childish to make the criticism that Fumento makes.

Of course, Taubes need not sink to Fumento's level to sink Fumento's case.

What I am interested in seeing addressed are the claims that carbs don't raise insulin more than fat does; that they do not raise insulin enough to cause a big storing of fat; and that all calories are created equal. Fumento raises these issues, which fly in the face of Atkins, Schwarzbein, Eades & Eades, and the rest of our crowd. We need a learned response.

Sheldon
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 10:39

Default Taubes replies

#9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 13:59

Taubes's rebuttal is very strong and impressive. I have not yet read Fumento's surrebutal.

Sheldon
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 14:21

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:

Gary Taube is my hero. Oh boy this makes for some good reading.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 18:38
Forum Founder

Quote:
I am ambivalent about writing this response to Michael Fumento's article ("Big Fat Fake"). On the one hand, the article simply doesn't deserve a response. It is a noteworthy exercise in vitriol, and perhaps self-aggrandizement, but it falls far short of legitimate journalism. On the other hand, journalists and historians, not to mention the occasional lay reader, have a tendency to assume that if something makes it into publication it is somehow de facto true or justifiable. This is never necessarily the case. For that reason, which I find slightly more persuasive, a published response might mitigate that tendency toward excessive credulity, at least in this particular circumstance.

The bold part is exactly what I thought

But he did a masterful job in untangling the circular logic of Fumento's defense lawyer style of argument.

Thanks for keeping track of this debate!

Wa'il
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 02:47
Registered Member

Plan: Little of everything
Stats: 293/247/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

Fumento must be fuming, someone finally calls him on is BS.

While I think Taubes comes off a bit elitist at times, he is a much funner read then Fumento's coarse diatribes.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 07:31

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:

It's really fun to see Fumento cut down to size, but more importantly, the article is really interesting and informative. It's as long or longer than the original Big Fat Lie article and it expands on it. For anyone who wondered how could all those studies be wrong, this article goes a long way towards dismissing that particular ghost. I learned a lot about how a study is conducted and what constitute a valid study and what doesn't.

If i was to go through this website and count all the people who said they lost weight and establish some kind of percentage of success, it would be just about as valid as the results from some of those so called studies !

I recommend everyone read this article
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 11:41

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

#15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 12:20

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Fumento's reply to Taubes

Gary Taubes has written a response to Michael Fumento's article "Big Fat Fake," which appeared in the March issue of Reason.Fumento's reply to Taubes is at
http://www.reason.com/0303/fumentoreply.shtml

Quote:
That same Hirsch is paraphrased by Taubes's fellow contributor to The New York Times Magazine, Sheryl Gay Stolberg, in the March-April 2003 issue of Modern Maturity, as saying "Most of the ex-Atkins dieters he has seen, he notes, regained all their lost weight soon after they stopped the diet."

It's like they don't get it. It is not a grapefuit fab diet that you stop.

Quote:
I'll merely conclude with his treatment of the 1973 AMA assessment, which again is refuted simply by rereading my article. The AMA found that, "The notion that sedentary persons, without malabsorption or hyperthyroidism, can lose weight on a diet containing 5,000 calories a day [as Atkins claimed] is incredible," that "no scientific evidence exists to suggest that the low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet has a metabolic advantage over more conventional diets for weight reduction," and "there is no reason to associate a diet rich in carbohydrate with obesity."

It interesting to say there is no scientific evidence that exists to support it would work, when at the same time there was no scientific evidence to support it would not have a metabolic advantage over more conventional diets. It is also interesing to finish off with a 30 year old quote from the time low-fat got going.