Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 07:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default For those starting Paleo:

Opiate Withdrawal from Gluten and Casein
Click the link to get the other link: http://www.corepsychblog.com/2007/0...c-notes-op.html
Quote:

Opiate withdrawal from discontinuing gluten and casein? Cautionary note: sounds absurd until you see it.

You might want to warn gluten sensitive, celiac and casein sensitive patients about this odd and painful clinical phenomenon: Withdrawal after stopping wheat or milk products can be painful, exhausting, and depressing, with weakness, anger, and brain fog.

I have a very interesting and refractory client in Ohio who has struggled for years with a variety of severe reactions to psych meds, suicidal depression, mercury toxicity, and became completely regressed on previous withdrawal of Paxil before I saw him in DC. With autoimmune issues in abundance and at times psychotic like feelings of loosing control we tested him for gluten/casein sensitivity, hit pay dirt with positive findings, and asked him to go on a gluten free/casein free diet [GFCF is the acronym].

He felt remarkably better at first, better than he had in years, then the withdrawal set in. Having had previous experience with substance abuse, he recognized signs of withdrawal immediately. First a note on the opiate receptors from Great Plains Laboratory:

The peptides from gluten [gliadorphin] and casein [casomorphin] are important because the react with opiate receptors in the brain, thus mimicking the effects of opiate drugs like heroin and morphine. These compounds have been shown to react with areas of the brain such as the temporal lobes, which are involved in speech and auditory integration.

Children with autism frequently seem addicted to wheat and dairy products. Presumably, people with Autism and schizophrenia incompletely digest wheat and dairy products. These incompletely digested peptides are then absorbed into the body and bind to opiate receptors, altering behavior and other physiological reactions.

And one more reference here:

Continue reading "Celiac Notes: Opiate Withdrawal from Gluten and Casein?" »
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 08:04
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

1.) Some extra advice, comes from Jim Dahl, MD, regarding opiate withdrawl:
Quote:
This includes heroin, fentanyl, opium, morphine,
Dilaudid, Lorcet, Vicodin, codiene, oxycontin, etc.
One may die from overdoses of these substances,
but not from underdoses. There is no danger of death
or seizure from withdrawal from opiates. (Unless
you consider diarrhea to be a bowel seizure.) Muscle
aches, diarrhea, a sense that you have the flu, and
yawning frequently are common. Difficulty sleeping
for about a week can also occur. Most of the physical
symptoms are usually over after about three days.

2.) Regarding person-first language. Please, understand this is a direct quote and that Nancy would never do this herself, but calling someone a "person with autism" is a wonderful way to insult someone. I don't have autism, I am autistic. Autism effects my neurology, my cognition and perceptions. Autism is the tool I use (my nervous system), to both experience and categorize the world. Autism is, in a very real way, me. To say that I simply "have autism" is to separate my brain from my "personhood" and to imply that my brain is somehow diseased or defective, rather than a normal evolutionary variant.

To add another voice, Jim Sinclair also dislikes person-first language. Jim Sinclair eats Kosher Vegan, and forces this diet on other people without warning them during Autreat, the annual event he organizes for autistic people. He is my dietary opposite (and a total jerk for not warning people), so if we agree on this issue it must be important.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 09:06
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 185/139/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 131%

Hi guys, I'm new here.

Anyway, I did notice feeling awesome for a day or 2 when I cut out grains, and then I felt very tired and had the foggy brain thing for almost a week. I have added some grains back in (I'm doing about 2/3 paleo 1/3 whole foods right now), and do feel better. I sprout and grind my own spelt and only have one serving a day. I find I need a few more carbs than most low carbers just to function. It could be that I was a vegetarian for 13 years??
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 09:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I suppose heroin addicts feel better too with a bit of heroin in their system.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 12:29

Plan: atkins/pp/6wbm-locarb/cad
Stats: 282/262/208 Female 5ft 11inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

HI Karlin!!! Glad you are here! Good luck on your journey. Years ago I had to transition fron vegitarianism for my physical and mental health. I am allergic to rice and have multiple celiacs in my family. I did best and do best physically and mentally staying away from grains. My severe bipolar episodes normalize. I can think again Bless You!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 12:52
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the welcome! My son (4 years old next week) is allergic to corn. It made it difficult to eat meat substitutes, as they are full of everything (I nursed him for a long time, so I couldn't eat the stuff either)...so we transitioned to meat. I do feel tons better, especially without processed foods in my diet. 2 weeks ago I went 95% whole foods, and it's awesome. I'm eating better than I have in my entire life. I also noticed my PMS was almost not there, which is so nice, since I can be pretty darn irritable.

My father is also celiac (recently diagnosed) and I am sensitive to peanuts. Also, my sister recently became a type II diabetic, which my mom was as well. I find this way of eating critical to my health as well.....and the weight loss is nice too.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 14:21
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

HI Karlin! I'll back up NancyLC on this withdrawal thing. What you describe after cuttin gout grains was just how I felt when I...quit smoking. It went away Though kudos for sprouting and grinding! You must be an NT/WAPF fan (me too). If you do want to keep a certain level of carbs, maybe you'd like to give a non-gluten grain like quinoa or buckwheat a shot instead? If you've got celiacs in your family, it's a safer option for you. You can also use flax meal, coconut flour, or make nut or legume (non-paleo) flour, if you do any baking.

I used to be a vegetarian too. NOT a good scene for me.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 14:48
Registered Member

BF:

Hi!

Yeah, I like a lot of the WAPF ideas, especially since I am healing some cavities. It's a little heavy on the dairy for us, but we do eat cheese and butter. I have Nourishing Traditions, and it has some great chicken recipes, but as a recovering vegetarian it's hard for me to even look at the organ meat recipes..lol.

I do a lot of baking for my son. He's pretty picky, so I hide stuff in muffins. We don't do sugar, and he knows it, so we're lucky there (I use a little honey instead). Today he ate carrots, bananas, strawberries, almonds, and eggs....all inside some muffins. I grind my own almond meal, so it's pretty easy to sneak into recipes.

My dad is allergic to so many things, I really can only bake with rice flour when I cook for him. I would like to give buckwheat a try for my immediate family though. I hear it makes great pancakes.

I was wondering about the whole withdrawal thing. It could have be more than just gluten...maybe since I stopped eating processed foods cold turkey? I'm glad it's over though, because I was so foggy I felt like I shouldn't have been driving.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-07, 22:16
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress:

As an autistic I've noticed that my mood is better, I am happier and have less anxiety on the diet.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-07, 23:11
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dido
As an autistic I've noticed that my mood is better, I am happier and have less anxiety on the diet.

Just to be theoretical, let me state that my own scientific wild-ass guess is that you're benefiting both from the absence of casein and gluten, and the presence of amino acids naturally occurring in meat. Supplements of L-carnosine, carnitine and taurine, that is naturally occurring in a high-meat diet, has positive effects on autistic children.* Interestingly the therapeutic dose of L-Carnosine would be present in a diet whose main source of calories was meat.

*{MG Chez, CP Buchanan, MC Aimonovitch, M Becker, K Schaefer, C Black, J Komen (2002). Double-blind, placebo-controlled study of L-carnosine supplementation in children with autistic spectrum disorders. PMID 12585724}