Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 14:50

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Ick....cardio...

Hi!

I seem to be one of many that started BFL just this last Monday. YEA!

Anyway, I cannot tell you how much HOW MUCH I really hate cardio. Even for just 20 minutes. I'm dreading tomorrow already because it's cardio.

Also, I cannot tell you how much HOW MUCH I really LOVE the weight lifting part. Feels GREAT.

Any thoughts about tossing the cardio?
I really know deep down that I shouldn't do it. Heck...I'd be happy to just alternate upper/lower 6 times a week instead of just 3.

Another thing I have noticed...and its been true in the past:
After weight lifting (yes...at 6:15 am), I feel ENERGIZED. Through the whole day. It's great.
After cardio (yes...at 6:45am), I feel like I really need to get back to bed...all day long.

I've noticed this all throughout my history of trying various exercise programs. Not just with BFL.

Any thoughts?
Anyone else hate cardio as much as I do? (doesn't matter what...walking/bike/rowing/whatever) How do you get past it?

-- Loretta
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 21:29

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Loretta, have you tried BodyRx? No cardio at all You might find it suits your lifestyle better. The book is a pretty good read, as well.

I hear you on the energized part. I'm on a 2 week hiatus from all things 'diet' and 'workout' and I'm positively itching to get back at the workouts - I feel so much more alive when I'm working out!

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 14:34

BF:
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the response, Nat!

I feel I've gotten to know you (by reading all the forums) while you were on the beach! Hope you had a blast!

I'll do almost anything to not do cardio, so I'm going to check out the BodyRx info online today! :-)
This morning wasn't too bad, but since I was using the tread mill (and increasing incline and speed), I don't think I hit a 10 at all. Maybe a weak 9.

Looking forward to tomorrow, though!
-- Loretta
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 20:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/196/199
BF:
Progress: 103%

I personally think cardio is pretty important. Not only for the cardiovasuclar benefits, but also because I just feel like I really worked when I am finished. Have you tried like the olyptical glider? These are low impact, and not real hard. Also, I have to have music when I am doing cardio, it is imperative. I like to use a mix of songs I like, usually aligned in a certain order so that I get one that really pumps me up (hard rock, or whatever) during the tougher portions of my run. I know that I start to struggle right around the half way point, which is at the 15 minute mark, so I put in a pumping song at that point on the cd. (use cd burner, etc.) Seems to help me a lot.

-Chris
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 13:37

BF:
Default I wouldn't argue that cardio isn't important...

...but I think that if you're doing a good 45 minutes of strong weight training, your heart rate is up and pounding! Isn't that cardio?

-- Loretta
(who really hates jogging;biking;rowing;aerobics;and don't even talk to me about spinning!)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 15:40

Plan: LC & BFL
Stats: 214/175/150 Female 5'6
BF:will/update/:)
Progress: 61%

I think you should do what you enjoy so you will stick with it.

Just my opinion though.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 15:59

BF:
Default I agree...

That's why I am waiting for my BodyRX book to come in (weight training 4 times a week; no cardio) - thanks to Nat's suggestion. Everything online I've found, though, gets me even more excited about it than I already am with BFL.

I just wish there were more here that are doing it - just for more feedback and support. But it seems not too different from BFL.

-- Loretta
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 17:10

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: I agree...

Quote:
Originally posted by lpioch
I just wish there were more here that are doing it - just for more feedback and support. But it seems not too different from BFL.
Loretta, you'll find that there are a few on the board doing it - they just don't frequent this forum. Ruth just started Cycle 1 and Karen has been doing the plan for a while now. They both have Journals if you're interested

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 19:51

Stats: 232/212/130 Female 5foot 7 inches
BF:44/38/20
Progress: 20%
Talking Loretta.... Iam starting

Cycle 1 for the second time. I will help you out if you like. I missed to many workouts to feel that the first time around that I did anygood. So Iam doing it again.. I will start it on Mon the 17th if you are game. Let me know I have a journal and gym log just click on the icon under my post and you will get there. It is sooo fun. Talk to ya later, Lynn
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 14:43

BF:
Default I'm definitely game...

I got the book yesterday...
and I finished reading the book yesterday...

I'm definitely starting Body RX on Monday the 17th!

So Lynn,
KEEP ME HONEST!
:-)

I generally plan to hit the gym
Mondays
Wednesdays
Fridays
and 1 other day in the week (Tuesday and Thursdays at 6:15am seem PACKED!)

We'll see!
-- Loretta
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 14:25

Stats: 232/212/130 Female 5foot 7 inches
BF:44/38/20
Progress: 20%
Talking Loretta,

Oaky the 17th it is. I work out at home. I will do my first work out on tue. the kids are out of school on mon. Iam going to work out at about 9:30 am. Are you going to do the food plan aswell? Iam not going to it by the book. I think I will use the fiber and the protein(If I can get it up to 200 per day) and I will only take about 50-70 carbs aday. Iam in the process of readyt he protein power book to do phase 2. Hey start a gym log so you can track it there. I will do my measurments on sun. and post them in my gym log. Will you do the same? I also will weigh then, then not again till the end of the first cycle. I do have a good starting point for weight since I have done it for awhile, that I found to be the hardest part was to find the right weight.

Well I can not wait to start. Talk to ya mon night. Lynn
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 16:01

BF:
Default I'm starting tomorrow!

Hey Lynn!

I'm starting Body RX tomorrow.
It was going to be Monday...then we went out of town Sunday 'til Monday night...
Then it was going to be Tuesday (today), but since Boston got the blizzard, if I got up at 6am, my workout would have been shoveling the 18" of snow in the driveway...left that one for hubby! :-)

So I start Body RX tomorrow.
I've already started upping the protein and fiber, though. Leads me to lots of ???s regarding low carbing and increased fiber. Will post that soon.

How is your week of RXing going?
-- Loretta