Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 10:30

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Time is still a weekly, hanging on and pretty thin, so you had grab it that week.
The Dropbox still has a copy of the article, saved to my computer in case it is removed from that source. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...%20on%20Fat.pdf
Thanks Janet!
Time may have printed off fewer copies than normal, thinking it wouldn't sell.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 10:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
When I was doing the low fat, vegan McDougall diet I was a member of his forum (until they banned me because I was having stomach problems and joint pain and they decided I was a troll).

Anyway...there are quite a few posters there who are very angry and judgmental, and several who just seem unbalanced. There are some very nice, normal people there, too, but too many of the other kind to be a coincidence...especially when compared to the people here.
I was a member of the McDougall BB too. When I was having all sorts of allergic responses (to virtually everything on the McDougall diet; all the carbs and too little protein - 45g - were making me angry & sick) one of the nice posters said "maybe McDougall isn't for you - have you checked out the Protein Power forum?" That was in 1999 and I haven't looked back!
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 14:38

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I was a member of the McDougall BB too. When I was having all sorts of allergic responses (to virtually everything on the McDougall diet; all the carbs and too little protein - 45g - were making me angry & sick) one of the nice posters said "maybe McDougall isn't for you - have you checked out the Protein Power forum?" That was in 1999 and I haven't looked back!

I'm really surprised by that! Was that back when the McDougall forum was part of VegSource? He has his own website now and a new forum. I doubt anyone would make such a suggestion now, and if they did it would most likely be removed.

There was recently a member (yes, I still check in and read there...don't know why) who was a very vocal critic of anything lowcarb/paleo. He started having blood sugar problems and asked for help. He finally ate a steak and was blown away by his good blood glucose numbers afterwards. He posted about his success and decision to go paleo and was immediately banned.

Last edited by HappyLC : Sun, Jul-27-14 at 15:04.
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 15:02

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
I wonder if that was me! I used to follow both forums. Vegsource because I thought it would balance out my exposure to ideas and I needed to get the other point of view. And also because it was like not being able to stop watching a train wreck, I'm sorry to confess! I even read the McDougall book way back when but just couldn't make myself go for it, it seemed like such a bad fit for me.
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 15:11
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I'd never heard of the McDougall diet, so I just googled it and read the list of "What to Eat" and "What not to eat". Wow. If there is such a place as Diet Hell -- for me, that would be it. No eggs, no dairy, no meat, no chocolate, no coffee??? Eat starchy veggies and grains? I could not follow that diet even if I wanted to. Eating LC is like diet heaven for me.
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 05:43

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
There was recently a member (yes, I still check in and read there...don't know why) who was a very vocal critic of anything lowcarb/paleo. He started having blood sugar problems and asked for help. He finally ate a steak and was blown away by his good blood glucose numbers afterwards. He posted about his success and decision to go paleo and was immediately banned.

McDougal. Always brings back this favorite Mark's Daily Apple post:

My Escape from Vegan Island

I ate that way in the 90's while exercising like a fiend. It was the way you were "supposed" to eat. But when injured or otherwise couldn't exercise like a fiend, it piled on the pounds.

I was looking at a third round, at my highest weight ever, when I discovered Atkins. And thank heavens I did!
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 07:25
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

One of the things I appreciate about this forum in the journals area is that people get to know each other and food just ceases to matter. There are people who go weight watchers, who go vegan (seriously), who are paleo and liberally dose themselves with high-carb fruits and recipes in maple syrup all over the place, and Nobody. Really. Cares. because these are your friends and everybody is on a constant N=1 experimental path to figure out what the heck works for their body, and many people go through all kinds of different efforts. If you have a diff food approach you either don't comment on food in their journal -- ideally there is their life, events, thoughts, and so on to comment on -- or you support whatever they're doing.

This is really the way the world oughtta be if you ask me.

PJ
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 15:35

BF:

I guess I was lucky that I saw the message about Protein Power posted by Seejay or some other "troll" before it got removed from McDougall's forum.

And I exercised like a fiend too - 10.5 hrs/week while starving on 1100 cals/day. If I ate more or exercised less, I gained weight on McDougall's Diet Hell diet, which was slightly more moderate than Pritikin's, which I followed before that.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-14, 16:27

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
And I exercised like a fiend too - 10.5 hrs/week while starving on 1100 cals/day. If I ate more or exercised less, I gained weight on McDougall's Diet Hell diet, which was slightly more moderate than Pritikin's, which I followed before that.
Isn't that just awful, in retrospect? Talk about wrecking your lean body mass and slowing the metabolism to nothing.

It reminds me of a neat article I saw once, from a trainer who was helping a client LOSE muscle. The client was transitioning from male to female...

Lose Muscle! Gain Fat! Dieting for MTFs

Quote:
1. Protein intake got cut way down. Protein intake while dieting is important in retaining lean body mass (LBM), aka muscle. When it diminishes, there is an increased likelihood of muscle catabolism (breaking-down).

2. Carb intake went up and fat intake went down. At this point we had the classic late 80s/early 90s diet. Which, as people learned through experience, ate through LBM like wildfire, especially when combined with…

3. Endurance cardio. Lots. Low-intensity endurance cardio is all about catabolism. Ever notice that marathon runners look like dried out string beans, while sprinters look like lean, healthy race horses? Not accidental.