PDA

View Full Version : Jumping in and nervous!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Peabug
Tue, Jan-14-03, 13:32
A little background info: I've been aware of CAD since I was a sophomore in high school -- approximately twelve years ago. My parents read the book and started to apply the WOE to their lives and for whatever reason my sisters and I thought it'd be fun to do it with them (not that any of us were really overweight at the time but we did fit into the CA profile). Anyway, over the course of the week I was able to stick with it (I was only in high school, after all) I lost about four pounds.

More recently (as of January 4, actually) my husband and I began the induction phase of Atkins. He had only about ten pounds that he needed to lose but he really wanted to do this with me to show his support (aww!). We're both on day 8 of ketosis and I seem to have stalled out at five pounds, which was exactly what the scale read last Friday, so I haven't lost anything in almost five days. While reading on the boards here over the weekend a little lightbulb went off in my head and I realized what "CAD" stood for in some members' profiles. I dug up my copy of the book and have been re-acquainting myself with the lifestyle.

We've decided to stick with induction for the full two weeks as prescribed by Atkins (which will end this Friday) and then begin CAD over the weekend, although I don't think hubby will be sticking to it as much as I will because he's not a CA. However, we're both very happy to make the switch as we feel too restricted with Atkins. In fact, for Christmas hubby got me a pizza stone, a cake decorating kit, a fondue pot and a stove-top popcorn popper -- all things I would never again be able to use on Atkins! We also have three little ones under age four and never being able to share a birthday cake or other goodies with them is very unappealing.

I've taken the quiz on the CAD website and scored a 9 -- severe CA, which doesn't surprise me in the least. But, like many others I've read here, we're actually nervous about adding "illegal" carbs to our diet, even if it is for one meal and only within one hour. I've become obsessive with how many carbs I have during the day and while I know it'll be a huge relief to no longer have that stress during the day (in regards to sticking to under 20) we're also hoping the last two weeks of induction (and my small weight loss) haven't been for naught!

Zuleikaa
Tue, Jan-14-03, 19:08
Welcome to the ranks of the CADetts and CADers. Isn't it amazing that you find something that works and then leave it? I'm glad you've found your way home. Good Luck!

Peabug
Tue, Jan-14-03, 19:28
Thank you, Zuleikaa! Hubby and I are actually discussing whether or not we want to wait until the weekend to start CAD (we were going to wait that long because that's when our two weeks on induction is over). Any thoughts or opinions on this?

Peabug
Tue, Jan-14-03, 21:55
Thank you, Zuleikaa! Hubby and I are actually discussing whether or not we want to wait until the weekend to start CAD (we were going to wait that long because that's when our two weeks on induction is over). Any thoughts or opinions on this?

luv67fire
Wed, Jan-15-03, 00:26
Mmmmm... not sure if you should hold out or not.

On one hand, it might help you lose a few pounds. On the other hand, a lot of people who went from Atkins to CAD gain a few pounds right off the bat (temporarily).... SOOOO... I'm not sure on that one.

BUT, I do want to say welcome and try not to be too nervous about your RM. And you're right, lol, not sharing your kiddies bday cake does sound unappealing ;)

Anyways, good luck with whatever you decide immediately, and again, welcome!

plum
Wed, Jan-15-03, 05:13
welcome Peabug and Mr Peabug
you know I think you made an ideal start. I did Atkins for a long time, and its terrific training for the CM s. Made it all a whole lot easier than going straight into cad, for me personally.

yes I too gained a bit at the start.. so dont panic if you do.....it settles.

just my opinion here..... but do read thoroughly through the forum if you can. My UK copy of cad doesnt stress balance so much...... it says have a balanced meal( which is open to interpretation)I think things added in new editions so if you have an old copy..... I think the advice to balance your RM into 1/3 is very valid.

and ask any questions you wish.... Ive learnt more from here..... anecdotal evidence if you like..than anywhere.

RagedyAnna
Wed, Jan-15-03, 10:50
Hi Peabug! I'm an old "Atkins'er" and a new "CADer", although I didn't make the switch immediately. I have been off the lc way of life for almost 2 years and now started CAD.
Anyway...
CAD is much easier to follow than Atkins. I find that I am not as "obsessed" with food now either. I eat LC for breakfast and lunch and then have a reasonable dinner...like the book says, your RM is always less that 23 hours away! Whenever I feel like snacking, I just think of the wonderful dinner I will be able to have on this WOE...and never deprive myself of what I want. Good luck to you and use these sites to help you through it!

I just finished week 1 on CAD - 2 lbs gone and I'm not hungry!

mbutterfly
Wed, Jan-15-03, 12:11
Welcome peabug!

I'm hoping that you'll find that this way of eating (WOE) works for you and your lifestyle!

Personally, I have found it to be pretty easy most of the time. I have had a few set backs with the holidays and such but all in all it's great! The best part of it is that you never have to give anything up FOREVER - just 23 hours.

Good luck to you!
Mbutterfly :wave:

Peabug
Wed, Jan-15-03, 12:15
Thank you all so much for your replies! We decided to start last night and had a very balanced RM. I've seen a lot of people on Atkins post that they no longer have a taste for foods with a lot of carbs in them (pasta, potatoes, etc.) but that certainly wasn't the case for us! We didn't gorge or anything but it was really nice to have a little bit of mashed potatoes with our "Cajun style" pork chops (from the Atkins book!) and to have a chocolate chip cookie after the meal. I got on the scale this morning and it is up a pound, but after reading that it's normal I'll stop stressing. :D I lost on this WOE before and I know I will again!

I'm really looking forward to posting and getting to know everyone!